My Tractor Forum banner

Legacy Single Stage Blower ?

1091 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Alan Lloys
Hey guys I have a question. I hear people complain that their blowers ride up on packed snow. I always thought to myself they must be trying to blow ice because my single stage has down pressure and there hasn't been a single thing stopping mine. So moving on to today. I purchased another single stage blower for my other Legacy. This one does not have aux hydr. like my other one. Instead I will be using the foot pedal to raise and lower the blower. I see according to the directions that the lift arm mounts to where the mower deck chains attach. With this setup does this mean I won't have down pressure anymore? I'm waiting for a few parts to arrive so I haven't been able to hook it and I am wondering how it will work.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
I love both my simplicity single stages both on the prestige and legacy. I'd never go back to a 2 stage, Just to slow and doesn't do a nice clean job. I can drop the skids and go right into the dirt if I wanted to. But I always leave a nice coating on the driveway because I have a long gravel driveway. I have tar and cement by the garages but those are the only places I clean right down to the bare surface.

I still have my original 42" 2 stage for the legacy. Even in drifts 2-3 feet my single stage will tear that down faster. When helps is some cutter bars on each side.

2 stage you blow snow up to the garage door, back up and a big pile by door.
single stage you blow snow up to the garage door, back up and nothing by door.

Only time I liked my 2 stage was when the snow was real wet heavy and sticky. But in mn that happens only in late spring. Half time it would melt in a couple days anyways.. Otherwise our snow is light and fluffy.
So are you able to apply down pressure with you single stage? Assuming you use your foot to raise and lower the blower?
My blowers really don't need the tractor to do that. My legacy I can lift the front tires off the ground for down pressure and a single 46" blower. There is a tension spring on the subframe that you can adjust that. But 46" single stages are pretty close to the same weight as a 42" 2 stage. So they both would have the same down pressure with or without springs. As for a person that would want to cut it down deep. Need the cutting blade on the blower in good shape, wither single or dual stage.
I have the foot pedal lift controls on my Legacy with the 2 stage blower.
It has down pressure that can lift the front wheels off the ground, so there should be no change there. I do have it adjusted for higher lift though and it also depends on how the springs are adjusted.
The only issue I have with the blower is that I have a weight box on the 3 point hitch. The tractor is struggling a little lifting both the blower and the box at the same time. The fix is to just pin the 3 point ballast box in the "up" position. There are holes in the 3 point for the exact purpose.

I must say that even with down pressure I have had my blower ride up over the snow. But that is in extreme situations. I am out in the country with wide open areas. When the snow drifts in it sometimes settles as rock hard ice. I have even had the car drive over it (but alas, the truck sank in and was really stuck :banghead3)
The only way of busting it up was with the blade or the FEL.
Which is why I keep one tractor with the Blade and one with the Blower.
(and now one with the FEL as well)

BTW I do not have experience with the single stage blower, but I do not have the issues Justy37 is describing. When I go up to something I get a clean curve where the front augers are chewing into the snow and no significant pile of snow left behind. That being said I do clear the garage door area parallel with the door - that way I can see how close I am and I don't risk chewing it up with the blower.
Hey guys I have a question. I hear people complain that their blowers ride up on packed snow. I always thought to myself they must be trying to blow ice because my single stage has down pressure and there hasn't been a single thing stopping mine. So moving on to today. I purchased another single stage blower for my other Legacy. This one does not have aux hydr. like my other one. Instead I will be using the foot pedal to raise and lower the blower. I see according to the directions that the lift arm mounts to where the mower deck chains attach. With this setup does this mean I won't have down pressure anymore? I'm waiting for a few parts to arrive so I haven't been able to hook it and I am wondering how it will work.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.