My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it happened last week, my Legacy 1693110 ran out of gas but when it shut down it backfired bigtime-refueled it cranked but would lope and cough. It has the Kohler Command 25hp CH25S (Spec#. 68583). The engine has been discontinued - calls for a replacement of a CH730S Simplicity Rocky Tract C730-0014. The engine has about 1000hrs on it, all I've ever done is new carb., new fuel pump, and the right maintance - when I purchased it there was almost 700hrs on it. It went through a lot of oil but I always kept
it in the operating range when I had it.

Took it to the local ShadeTree lawnmower repairman and he has so far pulled the cover off and found a bent pushrod on the bank that doesn't have the fuel pump. He had a pushrod sent over from the city but the rod sits at an angle-neither of knows exactly what that means other than it's not right without pulling the heads off which he was going to try to get to this afternoon.

Anyways...if anyone knows, Am I stuck with dropping a Kohler replacement engine if it comes to that or is it possible to put in something else and will it match up without a lot of other changes? This is just too good of a mower to just walk away from and I've also got the 3pt hitch with blade which I use alot, along with weights/chains and of course the 60" mower deck. I'm suffering along with my 42" Craftsman for now but what was taking me 3 hrs to mow now takes me almost 6 hrs.
I might not of mentioned but like a lot of folks I'm running low on funds but just want to make the right decision here.

:crybaby:

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
Definitely worth fixing, but I can't imagine a backfire doing any major damage. Why the pushrod is at an angle is a mystery to me. Maybe the valve stem is bent and that makes it look like the rod is off. Backfires create a lot of force. Just a shot in the dark here, not much information to go on.
As always,

:wwp:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tks .. Fcubman, think it probably was a combination of things, valve stem is most likely bent as can't see down in there of course..because of the oil conumption on that engine and that it's probably 1/2 life (2000 estimated max hrs for these engines) I'm gonna bite the bullet - $950+freight for Short Blk - another $150 for a head (maybe) - plus labor and freight - Brand New turn key engine for $1850 2yr warranty to my door and I can do the labor on that I guess I made up my mind..this fall/winter I will tear that engine apart and see just exactly what happened. I might have some parts for sale as well as some pumps...I'd love to make a Shadetree Mech's day by giving him some labor but my gut says the engine is either near toast or so close I'd be better off asking for a new deck.

Oh and when I tear that apart I'll be sure to take pics!!
:trink39:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Buy new and part off the rest on ebay. Or, look on ebay for parts. My guess is that you use this so time down hurts...

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buy new and part off the rest on ebay. Or, look on ebay for parts. My guess is that you use this so time down hurts...
Tks, Burntime -- sure do use it, and do I ever misssss it -- I've got lots of stuff for ebay, guess there's my winter project! :00000057:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts