My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Order the same shims from my earlier pic; the part number is on the bag. As far as the quick connect, I can't answer. The one I ordered from whoever, did not work and I ended up changing the quick connect from the loader to the gauge and back again. Not exactly convenient. I may lathe up the connector so I can use them but who knew there are different versions of quick connects. Oh well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got it done last week, the loader works much better now. Thanks again for the informative directions. I did the same as you, took the quick connect off the line and used it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for a great bit of research and excellent write-up. Quick question: When I went to McMaster-Carr, I couldn't seem to pull up anything on the shims. I plugged in every number from the packaging posted, and nada.

Have they changed their system or this product?
Just in case anyone is having problems finding shims....

I just spoke with Carla at McMaster-Carr and she confirmed the below are the same shims as the pkg Randy originally posted a pic of. In the meantime, should anyone need shims drop me a line and I would be happy to send some out... after I receive them of course :thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
I'll be doing this mod soon.

What's the general consensus on # of .5mm shims and pressure?

Looks like two .5mm shims and about 1200 PSI to give the improved performance while being safe for the pump...sound about right?

·
Registered
12 Posts
If anyone is looking for a source for the shims, check your local hobby shop that caters to the RC truck guys; apparently they use small shims like those in the differentials to control torque bias. I ordered some online and got a packs of 10 of the 0.5mm and 0.2mm shims for like $3 each. Google "5x10 shim" and you should be able to find some pretty easily.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Can someone give me a direction to go for purchasing a pressure gauge setup. What port are you guys using to check pressure or does it not really matter? Sorry I'm not the most knowledgeable in the hydraulic field but I'm willing to learn. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
look for a liquid filled pressure gauge good for 2500 - 3000 psi (amazon has them for like $12) You then need to figure out how to connect the gauge to the hydraulic circuit.
On the John Deere X700's, the auxiliary hydraulic ports next to your right foot work. Those are female quick connect couplers, so I picked up one of the matching male connectors at the dealer for $8 or so. It happened to have the same size NPT thread as the gauge I bought, so I just had to wrap with a bit of teflon tape and thread it on. If you aren't so lucky, you may need to go to the hardware store and pick up a brass fitting adapter, bushing, or coupler.
On the JD's there are four ports - two circuits with extend/retract ports for each. doesn't really matter which one you use, just move the hydraulic controls into different positions until you see the gauge show pressure.

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,418 Posts
Shimmed another XL...wow, what a difference again. This one checked out at 1100psi before the job, which surprised me. My last one was at 900 and that seemed to be the consensus from others. This is a 2005, and from what I have heard, after 2008 they may have upped the pressure from the factory.

Either way, it had only 1 shim in it, and I added 1mm. 1300psi now, and it will lift to full height, a pallet of literature I have here that must weight 500lbs. Prior to the job, I could only push that pallet around...it wouldn't lift it an inch off the ground.

Such an easy job! I do not remove the fuel tank. I pull the seatpan (and this time merely lifted it off with my overhead hoist, and rested it on my bagger. I use a 19mm socket to pull the check valve add my shims and put everything back on. Might have taken an hour...I did not properly route the wiring for the hydro valve switch and 12V plug before reinstalling the seatpan...my bad.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Question for those that have done this mod.

2005 Legacy XL 2WD

First off, I'm not blaming anyone, I chose to make this mod and I accept full responsibility.

Don't remember what the pressure was prior to the mod, but after, I'm getting about 1250 at the Hyd hookups at the front of the tractor. Mod was great, Power Steering worked better, and deck raise/lower was much faster.

About 6 months after increasing the pressure, my Power Steering Unit (under the steering wheel) failed. Tractor was 11 years old so I figured it just wore out.

Replaced the Power Steering unit at a cost of about $500.00 and all was good.

Now, about 18 months later, Power Steering is getting sluggish again although it hasn't failed completely, and deck raise/lower is still working.

I'm not positive what the problem is, but there is a very small leak at the seal for the Power Steering Ram (at the front of the tractor). I have a new Ram coming, but it's on backorder.

I'm going to replace the leaking Ram first, as the tractor is now almost 14 years old.

My tractor gets light use just mowing grass, about 25 hours a year, unit has about 450 hours total.

Might be totally unrelated, but just wondering if increasing the pressure is causing hyd parts to fail prematurely.

I'll know more after replacing the steering Ram to see if that fixes the problem. Really hoping the Power Steering Unit hasn't failed again and I have to spend another $500.00 to replace it.

Like I said, really not sure if increasing the pressure is the cause of these issues, could be just age and bad luck, just wondering if anyone else who has done the mod is having any problems. I hate to decrease the pressure back to stock, but if it turns out that the Power Steering Unit is failing again, I'll have to, because I'm not gonna take a chance on ruining another one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
TallDog - I have not had any problems - I use around 60-75 hours a year between mowing, snowblowing (like today) I did the mod a few years ago and have had NO problems with hydraulics - no piston problems, no power steering problems, no rear pto problems. (knock on wood). I did just bring my tractor to diagnose a bad break pedal switch causing the tractor to fail at starting. The dealer, Rosencrantz 'fixed' it, but caused other electrical issues. No hydraulic issues to speak of though.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
TallDog - I have not had any problems - I use around 60-75 hours a year between mowing, snowblowing (like today) I did the mod a few years ago and have had NO problems with hydraulics - no piston problems, no power steering problems, no rear pto problems. (knock on wood). I did just bring my tractor to diagnose a bad break pedal switch causing the tractor to fail at starting. The dealer, Rosencrantz 'fixed' it, but caused other electrical issues. No hydraulic issues to speak of though.
King,

Thanks, just wondering if you remember, what is your pressure now after doing the mod?

Also, is your tractor 2WD or 4WD? Not sure if it makes a difference, but I'm thinking the steering hydraulics might be a little beefier on the 4WD units. Don't really know that for sure though.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Well, finally got the replacement Hyd Ram for the steering on my 2WD Legacy XL and noticed this.

Can't speak to the guys with 4WD, but if you're tractor is 2WD, I wouldn't recommend this mod.

Attachments

61 - 76 of 76 Posts