My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've discussed it in other threads; now I made good on my threat and increased the psi on the implement relief valve by adding shims. Not a difficult task at all - took about two hours. Here is what I did.

But first *** Disclaimer *** This is something I have done to my machine at my own will. It is above the design spec although informally, a tuff-torq engineer said it would be fine, and others have also done the upgrade. I accept the risk that something may fail on my machine. Do this at your own risk. ****

Pic #1 is the patient.
#2 are the shims I got from McMaster
#3 is the pre-shim psi at a front quick-connect
#4 take off the fender and be greeted by lots of dirt.

...To be continued

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
#5 remove the tank and some more brackets to reveal a crud-covered tranny
#6 a quick cleanup and you can see the center valve block. The relief valve is the hex-head between the two check valves. Be very careful to clean the crud from around the valve when removing.
#7 This is the relief valve plunger assembly. It unscrews rather easily
#8 separate the components, and you get the hex nut, o-ring, washer, shim. The K92 spec sheet shows two shims by default; I only had one. The shim to insert is above the center washer.

...to be continued

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and the results:

#9 psi increased to 1150 with one .5mm shim
#10 psi increased to 1300 with two .5mm shims.
#11 is the exploded diagram of the valve block. K through R is where the action is.

I put it all back together and didn't have any bolts left over. :)

Initial test:

It was dark so I could not go crazy with testing. But I can lift the front of the tractor without issue (couldn't do that before), steering is noticeably easier even with weight in the bucket, and the few scoops I took in the mulch pile were obviously more powerful. Watch this space for more updates.

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gold one is just a washer; the shim is to the right. Yes, that is where I added them. The valve is located just below seat. If not for the free-wheeling lever you could make this change just by lifting the seat.

·
Registered
45 Posts
well done! good pics. having read your previous posts (I notice you work that thing hard), I predict you'll be very happy with the improvement.

·
Registered
700 Posts
WOW!!!! Great story and presentation Randy. Would scare the crap out of me if I had mine in that many pieces.
And what do you do in your spare time? :ROF

·
9K+ Poster
12,151 Posts
Randy,

Great post! :thThumbsU Please let us know how much more responsive the hydraulics are. :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you fellas. If I had known how easy it was I would have done some time ago.

Some more playing around yesterday. Basically it has become much more powerful. It either lifts what I ask it to, or it lifts the back end trying. One day I will get enough bags of weight so I can measure capacity. When I first got it, I measured 540 pounds to full height, although it took a looong time to get there. Which brings up another operational nicety. It operates more like I would expect hydraulics to operate; heavy loads lift at a normal speed now.

This has also got me wondering about the physics behind this charge pump design. To get to max pressure, whether the default 1000psi or the upgraded 1300psi I had to hold the joystick for a few seconds while it built the pressure. Contrast that to the PTO pump for the logsplitter - when that ram hits an immovable object the relief valve kicks in immediately. So this gives me a margin of error - if I attempt to lift a too-heavy load, it won't reach 1300psi for a few seconds, allowing me to rejudge to attempt while easing the ultimate load on the hydraulics. That's my theory anyway.... :)

I don't imagine I will be maxing this out all that much but it is nice to be able to lift up mulch from the bottom of the pile.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, what you see in the pics is necessary. It is very simple though. Took two hours the first time I did it. I could do it now in half that. No special tools needed either.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Randy, did this mod increase the speed of the hyd as well? If not, is there anything that can be done to make the bucket respond a little quicker?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I too made the modification to me 2006 XL almost 2 years ago with not one problem. Regarding an increase in speed of the loader, check out this post I made last year.

After reading that post from Steadlite about a year ago, I did some dig'n into this shimming deal to see what I was getting into. I talked to engineers at both Simplicity and TuffTorq. Both knew of the modification and both said within reason, I shouldn't have a problem. TuffTorq told me not to exceed 1250psi at the pump/transmission....He wanted to make sure I didn't take pressure readings only at the quickconnect just in case there was some kind of restriction in the system.... So I did the modification. Here are the results:

Pressure at Pump/Transmission before modification @ Wide Open Throttle =975 psi.
Pressure @ Quick Connects before modificatioin with Engine @ WOT = 975 psi.
Time to Full Lift with Bucket Empty = 5.3 Seconds.
Bucket Height with 500 lb load @ 5 seconds lift time = 35".
Bucket Height with 700 lb load @ 5 seconds lift time = 15".

Modified to 1200psi min 1250psi max @ WOT.
Pressure at Pump/Transmission after modification @ WOT = 1200 psi.
Modified Pressure @ Quick Connects with Engine @ WOT = 1200 psi.
Time to Full Lift with Bucket Empty = 4.6 Seconds.
Bucket Height with 500 lb load @ 5 seconds lift time = 65".
Bucket Height with 700 lb load @ 5 seconds lift time = 42".

As you can see, the modification really works. I've put over 100 hours on the tractor/loader since the modification with zero problems and right before I posted this message, I plugged in the pressure guage just to see how things are holding up. Pump pressure = 1200+ psi. Modification was pretty easy, about 1.5 hours total. Hardest part was taking off the rear fender and gas tank.

Another quick note: Both Simplicity and TuffTorq told me the transmission takes the most abuse when you're lifting a load the the loader stops lifting. That's when the heat really builds up. If the loader's having a hard time picking up a load, I back off right away and repick a smaller load

Bottom line is I'd say it does speed up the loader, especially when loaded.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I too made the modification to me 2006 XL almost 2 years ago with not one problem. Regarding an increase in speed of the loader, check out this post I made last year.

After reading that post from Steadlite about a year ago, I did some dig'n into this shimming deal to see what I was getting into. I talked to engineers at both Simplicity and TuffTorq. Both knew of the modification and both said within reason, I shouldn't have a problem. TuffTorq told me not to exceed 1250psi at the pump/transmission....He wanted to make sure I didn't take pressure readings only at the quickconnect just in case there was some kind of restriction in the system.... So I did the modification. Here are the results:

Pressure at Pump/Transmission before modification @ Wide Open Throttle =975 psi.
Pressure @ Quick Connects before modificatioin with Engine @ WOT = 975 psi.
Time to Full Lift with Bucket Empty = 5.3 Seconds.
Bucket Height with 500 lb load @ 5 seconds lift time = 35".
Bucket Height with 700 lb load @ 5 seconds lift time = 15".

Modified to 1200psi min 1250psi max @ WOT.
Pressure at Pump/Transmission after modification @ WOT = 1200 psi.
Modified Pressure @ Quick Connects with Engine @ WOT = 1200 psi.
Time to Full Lift with Bucket Empty = 4.6 Seconds.
Bucket Height with 500 lb load @ 5 seconds lift time = 65".
Bucket Height with 700 lb load @ 5 seconds lift time = 42".

As you can see, the modification really works. I've put over 100 hours on the tractor/loader since the modification with zero problems and right before I posted this message, I plugged in the pressure guage just to see how things are holding up. Pump pressure = 1200+ psi. Modification was pretty easy, about 1.5 hours total. Hardest part was taking off the rear fender and gas tank.

Another quick note: Both Simplicity and TuffTorq told me the transmission takes the most abuse when you're lifting a load the the loader stops lifting. That's when the heat really builds up. If the loader's having a hard time picking up a load, I back off right away and repick a smaller load

Bottom line is I'd say it does speed up the loader, especially when loaded.
Great info. thanks!:trink40:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Randy -

I would like to try this mod on my Massey 2927. I read your posts and see that the first step is to check the pressure. Could you detail what I would need to check the pressure? I have seen plenty of gauges with 1/4 inch male threaded connectors. Does your gauge have a tube and quick connector?

Thanks!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the quick-connect kit from www.aux-hyd.com, from a recommendation on the original thread that I got the info from. I think it's ~38 bucks. It has the quick-connect which I use on the front. I may mount it permanently on the dash if I figure out where to connect directly on the tranny.

·
Registered
137 Posts
A dash-mounted gauge would be a nice mod. I'd like to see pictures when you get it complete.
I would imagine it wouldn't be that hard, but the hydraulic chart in the manual is pretty confusing.

I was hoping to install a hydraulic quick-connect on the rear for a log splitter. I don't understand how there are 2 sets in the front and only the mower/3 pt lift in the rear. It has to be possible to add another port in the rear...

1 - 20 of 76 Posts