My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys. Been lurking on this forum for a while and am looking for the best deal on a new legacy xl. Seems like there are some out there at dealers wanting to move them. If you have or know of a local dealer that has one at a good price and wants to move it please let me know. thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
There is a dealer in Marcy, NY (upstate) that has two legacy xl. Dealers name is Dave @315-736-5257. I'm not sure if they ship? Dave is a great guy to deal with, I get all my stuff for my xl from him. Wish you luck in your search.

·
TECH Exchange Contributor!
582 Posts
I have seen a couple of dealers list on Craigslist.
It seems that there are several out there for $ 4k-$5k under list dependent on loader or not.
I use Craiglook which enables you to search the entire US with one click. If you search for Simplicity Legacy you should be able to find them.
I do not remember where they were located though, but it will give you some comparables so you can better negotiate with your local dealer.

Good luck with your search. As you can see in my Avatar I love the Legacy tractors even though I only have the older non-XL versions.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
There is a place in FT.Wayne, Indiana that sells Simplicity along with JD I don't think they have one in stock but their prices are hard to beat. I bought a Simplicity Prestige from them and nobody could touch their price. Another member on the forum bought one from them and had it shipped. The name is Mutton Power Equipment and their number is 1-888-284-9606 this would at least give you something to go on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help everyone. The legacy is a great tractor. Never owned one but the seem to look like a real quality tractor. My big problem is shelling out 12 grand for a new one when sub compact tractors come in at a cheaper price. I know the simplicity mowes tons better but it is a hard decision. Any suggestions and are you guys real happy with your legacy tractors Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 1997 Legacy with the 20 hp liquid-cooled Kawasaki engine and a 60" deck. Bought it new and have around 700 hours on it and it has performed flawlessly!! My only regret is that I didn't get the FEL on it. The liquid-cooled engine has been really great.....zero problems and great fuel economy.

I would highly recommend Simplicity tractors for a really great cut and nice stripes.:trink39:

·
TRACTORHAULIC
100 Posts
Hi Travelall, first of all welcome to the forum. I have a 2007 XL with the liquid cooled Kawasaki, 60 inch mower deck, FEL, and 48 inch tiller, 4x4 that I bought new and have no issues with other than once in a while it just clicks when I turn the key. That I will address with the dealer this week. That being said it is probably the best $13,000 I have ever spent on any type of moving vehicle. The wife thought I was a little overboard at the time and now asks me how we ever got anything done without it.
Absolutely no regrets here, hope this helped.

Bill

·
582 Posts
Once in a while I whish I had a full sub-compact tractor with the higher loading capacity, but then again when I am using my Legacy with the ballast box I am already leaving some ruts in the lawn (around 1,700 lbs + operator).
A CUT or sub-compact would be a lot worse when using it on the lawn.
So I think it depends a lot on what you are using it for and where.

My lot is very flat and is lawn so for me the Legacy's lower weight is a big advantage. If I had a hilly lot with lots of trees and some trails I think a sub-CUT would be better.

I did look very closely at the Caterpillar CT225 tractor as well when they had the good deals out there. However that was around $ 15,000 out the door with FEL and mid mount mower. And it would not be well suited for my soft clay soil for regular mowing.

I spent around $ 8,000 total (and a weekend of tinkering) and have a 20 hp Legacy with FEL, 3 point hitch, 54" deck, 47" 2 stage snow blower and extra ag tires AND a 25 hp with 60" snow/dozer blade and 60" deck. So for just around half the money I have two tractors which is awesome. .
Summer setup is one with FEL and one with mower. Winter is one with snowblower and one with snow blade.
With my usage I believe that I will still get 10+ years more out of them before they need to be retired

Anyway I just looked up at Craigslist and there is a brand new Legacy 4x4, 27 hp liquid cooled, 60" deck for $ 7,750. You will not find any sub-compacts in that price range.
There is also an identical new machine with added 3 point and FEL for $ 11,750
I cannot quite see if they are from a dealer or slightly used machines, but they appear to be brand new and listed with warranty.

And to answer your question - Yes I love the Legacy(s).
If you find some of my posts you will see that I have used the FEL a lot already. I mowed around 34 cubic yards of sand with it. I did whish for a bigger FEL then, but as mentioned I am still filling in the ruts from it so even though a bigger machine would have saved some time, it would have done more damage to the lawn.

·
582 Posts
I moved the sand of cause - I did not mow it as I think that would be bad for the blades :fing20:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks for the help everyone. The legacy is a great tractor. Never owned one but the seem to look like a real quality tractor. My big problem is shelling out 12 grand for a new one when sub compact tractors come in at a cheaper price. I know the simplicity mowes tons better but it is a hard decision. Any suggestions and are you guys real happy with your legacy tractors Thanks
a XL is a sub compact tractor it has a rear 540 pto and 3 point hitch

·
Lost & Found
210 Posts
:beatdeadh
a XL is a sub compact tractor it has a rear 540 pto and 3 point hitch
While it's an awesome tractor, it is not a sub compact, this has been discussed since it's been new.

With the Legacy® XL subcompact garden tractor, a day's work doesn't have to take all day. We've combined the toughness of a compact tractor with the comfort and control of a garden tractor to give you the power and reliability you need to get the tough jobs done in one versatile machine. Choose from three powerful 27-gross hp* engines, 2- or 4-wheel drive and a variety of attachments. And all models give what no one else can offer: the best cut in the business from a 48", 54", or 60" Simplicity Free Floating™ mower with full-width rollers. Get the job done quickly, get the job done right.:trink39:

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Charlottesville Power in Charlotesville VA has one with a deck.4WD.loader and 3pt thats new and left over from when they were a Simplicty dealer.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts