My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 335 with the Kawasaki engine. ~400 hourson the clock. Twelve years old or so.

The PROBLEM: I have gotten or accumulated bad gas in this mower resulting in a no start condition. I drained the tank (used a clear hose and saw quite a bit of water bubbles come out while siphoning. Removed tank, dried everything, blew air through the fuel line and then replace the filter. New plugs then installed. I did nothing to the carb at this point.:fing20:

Assembled mower, put in fresh gas and had 30 minutes of mowing bliss. Then sputter and die.

So I decided to remove the float bowel but could not; the screws had to be overtightened by a previous service. I then discovered the drain screw on the bottom of the float bowel.

Drain, crank, drain, crank. Bad stuff did indeed come out. Finally got it running and had another 30 minutes of bliss. Then running problems again.

I am using additives like Seafoam and just presumed if I just plain ran the thing it would clear.

All this background...now the problem:

This mower will run for an hour on flat ground no problem Even if the grade is to the right. (tilting to the right)

But as SOON as I get on a LEFT tilting grade this mower seems to take another gulp of hidden sludge or something. Today for the first time I tested my theroy and it's true, lean to the left, mower spits.

:banghead3

Ideas?

·
Banned
587 Posts
Not knowing what Kawasaki engine you have, or the carburetor brand. But, I suspect it is the float that is giving you the problem. Due to the fact you say it runs great on level ground and fine when the tractor is leaning right, makes me think the float setting wrong, and when you lean to the left the float shuts down the gas flow.

·
Banned
2 Posts
I would take the carb apart and clean it again .me myself would i replace the fuel line and filter..check the float for a hole ...look in the tank sometimes the outlet will get dirt and crap in it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, I thought float too but it seemd to misfire as though injesting water/bad gas.
maybe I am misreading the symptoms.

One more note; it seems to slowly be getting better, the more I run it. At this point I may be imagining it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Start simple. Check your tank and see if there is a screen covering the pickup that is partially. If the tank is clean then start figuring out how to open the carb and clean/rebuild it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the thoughts guys.

My JD dealer thinks the tank pickup hose is split and when I tilt the tractor it begins to suck air.

MOre later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts