My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a group of attachments with a 1456, including a 48" snowcaster with the gearing on the left of the shell. Someone mentioned this is the wrong orientation for the Tecumseh engine and the caster would spin backwards.

Any insight? I don't need it to put snow on the drive!:duh:
-Doug

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
I have a 1257 that has a Tecumseh engine with a 18538 snowcaster. The gearbox is on the left side when you are looking from the mount side. The shaft turns counter clockwise when you turn the auger the correct direction. Yours should turn the same way.
Dave

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I guess I'm just hurtling to conclusions. I'll observe the engine and snowcaster rotation, and then figure out what to do.

Worst case, I can post the snowcaster and get another. A drag, but not a dead loss.

And I think I'll record all the model number tags on the stuff so I can describe them better on forums.

I appreciate the knowledge on these forums. The Tecumseh OHV shows no compression when spun by hand, but there was a posting some OHVs have a compression release at slow rpms. I'll open up the valve cover and verify the state of the parts.

it will live again,
Doug

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
It should show SOME compression, even with the compression release, so checking the valve train is a goood idea.

Doug

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zero compression on Tec OHV - next steps?

It should show SOME compression, even with the compression release, so checking the valve train is a goood idea.

Doug
Absolutely zero compression. I opened the top hatch of the OHV and it looks clean, nothing obviously bent or cracked, and the valves move in proper 4-stroke sequence.

I'm going to remove, inspect, and bench-test the starter before cranking it over. It may seem like too much caution, but mice have obviously made nests everywhere. I don't want the debris to work its way further in.

-DougL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts