My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done some searching on LED's to replace the bulbs with mixed results, some say it works with, great output, BUT others say its a waste......

There are hundreds of different LED's out there to replace the factory 1156's just not sure which i should go with or if it will even be worth it....

I just ordered a set of glass speaker 777's so that should help some as far as output......any thoughts???

·
HeadCase For My Ingersoll
1,359 Posts
Speaker 777's are much brighter than plastic speaker 780's. Unless you're trying to blind your neighbors, 1156's should be more than adequate with glass lenses.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speaker 777's are much brighter than plastic speaker 780's. Unless you're trying to blind your neighbors, 1156's should be more than adequate with glass lenses.
Yeah i want to blind the neighbors:) i plan on snow blowing a lot this winter and would like some good output without putting an extra set of lights on the tractor.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
As I see it, here's the difference.

Incandescent, halogen and HID lamps all rely on the curvature of the reflector behind these lamps to refocus the lumens forward to a lens that is shaped to emit the light in a specific pattern. Those lamps radiate light 360 degrees.

LED's emit light out one end. It is somewhat difficult to make use of the reflectors in a set of any Speaker headlamps with the current crop of LED's. The second problem has to do with available space. You can choose incandescent lamps of several different wattage or candlepower ratings or you can go with halogen or HID lamps and I believe that those will fit in the Speaker housings and still make use of the reflector.

But if you want to make LED's produce more lumens than what the current Super Flux lamps currently put out, then your only option is to keep on adding LED's until you run out of room in the housing. At this point, the reflector plays no part because it's now hidden behind the LED array The Speaker lenses were designed to work with reflected light plus the direct light from the incandescent lamp. By adding the LED's, it is my position that the original design is now being compromised and a certain percentage of light is being wasted.

It doesn't matter that much how "bright" lights appear when you are looking at them head-on if that brightness is not properly focused onto the work area. Light that is cast upward or to the side doesn't help you see past the snowcaster when clearing snow at night.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Grebes,
I've done it on my 444 with generator, used two 36 LED panels per lense. Total of 144 LED's. Just swapped the LED's that I had in my previous tractor.
The light is whiter, and brighter than the 1156 they replaced. Thing is they still will not cast light very far. For me it was an improvement, and I do not need to see more than 8-10 feet in front of me when using the lights. (I'm not going fast enough to need to see that far out) I think Bob Mac put 55w halogens in, these would give you much more light, and reach farther out than LED's, but may consume too much electricity. I do not think that a generator equipped tractor would like the 55w too much. (too much draw).
So for me the LED's are an improvement, and I much prefer the whiter light.
I have pics under "hamsters220" in the Yahoo forum. I'll see if I can add some here. If you are going to add them, be warned the LED ones that look like bulbs (same shape) will most likely give dismal performance.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=142508 These pics were of one side LED (two panels) vs one 1156 @ 10ft from my garage door.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Delco- Remy made start/gen units for just about every brand of engine out there and those engine brands ended up in just about every make of GT. There are two field coils in a Delco start/gen. One is reserved for the start feature and the other looks after the generator needs.

Back in the hay-day of start/gen usage, there were not such things as halogen or HID lamps. Since these tractors only had an ignition coil and a pair of low wattage headlamps to feed, there was no need for a high output from the generator. The max amperage from the Delco's is 15 amps. A pair of 55 watt halogen bulbs will draw a constant 9.2 amps. You still need something left to run the ignition coil and to recharge the battery.

On the face of it, there is enough power to run a pair of halogens and look after the other 2 items AS LONG AS YOU keep the engine running at wide open throttle all the time. That 15 amp output isn't available at idle or even 1/2 throttle. So, if you need to go and do something, don't leave your tractor idling with the lights on or you could run the battery flat even though you left the motor running at idle.

Mackie did post something about his halogen conversion along with how well it worked for him but I don't remember the thread.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not going to do halogen or HID lamps. From what i seen LED's are somewhere between
.5-1 amps thats why i am interested in them and bc i think it will look cool. i have a light obsession..... i have HID in all my cars/trucks, snowmobiles and ATV's.

I wanted to do the HID's but nut sure the bulbs will fit and not sure the generator will have enough to start them, after that it doesn't take much to run HID's. Halogens on the other hand take a lot of amps as you stated.

·
Registered
379 Posts

·
GET TOUGH GET A CASE!
826 Posts
If using the oem lights one way to make it brighter is to have the inside of the bezels chromed, it will really reflect the light out this way. :fing32:
For those not looking to use LED"s.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Grebes,
Looks like the place I ended up getting them from is "sold out"
http://www.1freeaday.com/p/10005621/1156-36-led-white/car-led-light/product.html- took about two weeks, came "hong kong post"

But These guys are reputable, the square yellow LED's are supposed to be better. (Luxeon knock offs) but I have not tried them (they were too pricy for me)
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/other_bulbs.htm
Just ordered a set, I will let you know how it turns out!

·
GET TOUGH GET A CASE!
826 Posts
Have you had that done?

How much did it cost?
No, but I am seriously thinking of it.

&

Whatever the going rate of chrome plating is in your area.
I'm clueless on that one. I had a rear bumper off a 1970 Buick GS rechromed by Keystone in Minnesota once and it was around $350. which was considered cheap then. Keep in mind that is a huge item.

...on a side note... having the control levers chromed would look really cool. imo

1 - 20 of 30 Posts