My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am starting to have issues. I have had my blades sharpened recently and I am getting ridges. The blades are about 4 years old maybe a little less. Could the ridges be from bearings or is it just blades. It is specifically the middle blade that is leaving 2 ridges.

I have a GT 3100 & a 54" shaft drive deck.

Thoughts anyone?

Shawn Nielsen

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Double check you did'nt install the middle blade upside down,easy to do ask me how I know.
Bob
I went out and checked and all the blades seem to be in the correct position. I did however feel that the blades seem to have a taper to them near the outside edge. I have had a friend sharpen them for me and I wonder if the outside taper is causing the issue (it gets slightly bigger to the outside edge.. Could it be a bearing issue or is it likely just a blade sharpening issue?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I went out and checked and all the blades seem to be in the correct position. I did however feel that the blades seem to have a taper to them near the outside edge. I have had a friend sharpen them for me and I wonder if the outside taper is causing the issue (it gets slightly bigger to the outside edge.. Could it be a bearing issue or is it likely just a blade sharpening issue?
No grass builtup under the deck, that will cause it to happen for sure. Most likely you need new blades, try some new ones and save old ones for backup.

GO here and get new ones>>> www.agrisupply.com

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
That would be my guess too...a deck packed with spent grass.

If you go slow does it still leave a ridge?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Take all threee blades off and nest them on top of each other
they should fit together snugly, with no gaps

If you ever wacked something, one may be bent, or if you hit something solid, it may have tweaked the spindle

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
If your blades are not square at the tips this will happen. Replace the blades, 4 years is more than enough ,especially if you suck up sand and grit, it will actually shorten the blades causing an overlap deficit.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is not quite as pronounced when mowing slower. I have wacked things here and there. But not to the point where I would have bent the spindle...(too the best of my knowledge. There is a little bit of build up but again nothing that would impede mowing.

I just wonder if it isn't the age of the blades.

Shawn

·
Registered
160 Posts
You might have just bent one blade, I hit a good size rock and bent one blade down pretty good and it started cutting like that. Luckily it happened to be the day I was going to get new blades anyway, I just had to get them a few hours earlier than I was going too.

Try what GrassMeUp said, if one of the blades is bent you'll be able to tell.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got new blades all is well now!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
HUH! Surprised to hear it was the 4 yo blades but please to know all is well with your mowing now Shawn.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 42" deck. The left side cuts lower than the right side. I have tried adjusting the tilt to no avail. I have cleaned out the inside of the deck. It doesn't look like a tilt problem though. It looks like the entire left blade cuts about 3/8 to 1/2 inches deeper than the right.

I have new Gator Blades installed.

Any thoughts before I tear the whole deck apart?

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Blade on correctly...not upside down.
Any shims or washers missing or in the wrong place...on either side?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Blades are right side up. No shims missing on the bottom side.

My next step is to take the spindles off to see if there is a problem there.

I just got this tractor. Bought it for $50. Guy said it wouldn't run. 180 hours on it with a blown-out muffler. Well, the blown-out muffler was causing hot gases to flow back the frame chanell and vapor-lock the fuel line (I was able to figure this out thanks to a thread on this forum). Now the tractor runs great except for the ridge problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well Diesel, it was the lack of shims.

I took the deck off and flipped it over. When I rotated the blades so that they would pass end-to-end. There was a 1/4" to 3/8" difference between the 2 blades.

There were no shims on either blade. I added 1/4" worth of shims to the right side (that's all that I could add) and that brought the right blade up to the same plane as the left.

After some tilt adjustment, the mower was cutting great, right up to the point where the deck belt broke. It was worn so I knew it would go soon. Well, something else to fix.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts