My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Working to a 1K post
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a bet with a certain person back in early spring, whom I know very well that I should never bet with.

The bet……

That if any emergency situation should ever arise that I would and could keep my composure far better than they, now at work whenever some situation comes up I’m cool, calm and collective, hence the wager of my Wheel Horse…..
Seeing this other person get upset at just about everything, and seems to be in a rush to get things done I figured I’d win the bet and take the $750 that was offered and buy some cool things for my tractors.

Well the emergency came earlier this month when we were out doing leaf clean up, Rob began yelling for me to shut my Cub Cadet down….
Pointing he said, the house is a fire!!!!

Seeing the smoke, I began running about trying to figure out what to do first…. Not very good on my behalf!!!

Rob on the other hand calmly looked around to see where our daughter was, and seeing that she was out of harms way told me to call the fire department.

Grabbing a fire extinguisher and cautiously going inside, he put the small but very smoky fire out.
Opening the window’s to allow fresh air in as he held a fan up to help exhaust the smoke.
When the fire department arrived they went in and made sure that the fire was out, and said that it was caused by an electrical outlet……

I may have lost my Wheel Horse but gained a lot of respect for Rob in the process, as someone that seems to get upset because he can’t get a bolt started right he managed to keep it together in a real emergency situation!!!!

I am truly glad that no one was hurt, and that the fire was put out quickly and that very minimal damage was done!!!

In the end I have decided that I didn’t really lose my tractor as it’s still in the family, but greatly learned to appreciate my family even more…

Lesson learned:

Just because you can keep your wit’s together while at work….. It’s a whole different ball game when an emergency situation exists on your own home front.

The Wheel Horse as she sits today....

Merrie​
Merrie​

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
Awww that stinks about the fire and the Wheel Horse- Least it didn't go far... Did Rob at least let you 'keep' "your" ags? lol

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Sorry to hear about the Fire Merrie and glad it wasn't really bad! Tell Rob to give you back the WH, because that is completely different than losing your cool at work. :thThumbsU

·
Working to a 1K post
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to hear about the Fire Merrie and glad it wasn't really bad! Tell Rob to give you back the WH, because that is completely different than losing your cool at work. :thThumbsU
Honestly, he didn't want to take it..... It was I that came up with this bet, I never thought about what would happen in a situation like this!!!

I refused to take it back though, as I said in "ANY" emergency rather it be here, down town or some other place. It was a fair bet and I lost... the good news is:
I can still use it whenever I need to :trink39:
Merrie​
Merrie​

·
Working to a 1K post
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awww that stinks about the fire and the Wheel Horse- Least it didn't go far... Did Rob at least let you 'keep' "your" ags? lol
Ha... No, he remembered that I snagged the Ag's off from his GT18... LOL

Merrie​
Merrie​

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Yup, sounds like you won on that one. If something goes haywire all you have to do is tell Rob "Your tractors broke." and go on your Merry Merrie way.

And just because you became confused in this instance does not mean you will not be the cool one the next time something unforeseen occurs.

Glad the damage was minimal, might be wise to have an electrician check the rest of your wiring out. Unusual for an outlet to fail. Usually it's something thats been plugged in.

Mike

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
the good news is:
I can still use it whenever I need to :trink39:
Merrie​
Merrie​
I guess that means HE pays for the gasoline when you borrow it??:sidelaugh:sidelaugh:sidelaugh:sorry1:

Seriously, I am glad everything is alright. Had it been me, I would still be turning in circles. I definitely would rather lose my horse than my house. One letter difference but gotta love someone with a cool head.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Glad to hear that no one was hurt and you saved the house. slkpk

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
LOL I put a light like that on our first cub. More importantly I'm relieved to hear that the house and all occupants are OK. Always scary to learn that an outlet can go critical like.

Don't forget to thank the guy upstairs.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Merrie . I can totally relate about your response to your "unexpected fire" . I also experienced a unexpected fire . My fire was about 14 years ago at my place of business and mine got out of control and I lost almost everything in my building . It's a terrible feeling in your gut while your watching your place of business go up in flames & there's nothing you can do to stop it . I am truly relieved to hear that you and no one in your family got hurt -thats what really matters and in the end it's as good a ending as possible .

Mike

·
Administrator
21,333 Posts
Sorry about the fire at the house. Hope there wasn't too much smoke damage.

Hey, nice to see you back on the forums!

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
"His tractor"-----kinda sounds like when a kid messes up something--he's your son,but when he's good!!!Well--you know.:biglaugh:
House fire is the worst thing I can think of--glad you came out ok.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Sorry to hear about the fire Merrie, but glad no one was hurt.

BTW, the reason you can keep it calm at work is that your patients are not family. I guess you know that now.

Glad to see you back. Was wondering how the new job was going.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Well Merrie, I'll echo the thoughts of others in that you are lucky that Rob kept his cool and got the fire out in a safe fashion. It's hard to keep a calm demeanor in a situation like that and it sounds as if he certainly did. :trink39: to him, and to you guys being safe.

So , he got his ags back, attached to a a self propelled tire dolly .? :D

Please get that electrical fixed tout de suite.

·
The owners manual
1,570 Posts
Merri-Merri;
As all the others have said, I am very glad that no one suffered any injuried or even close to any. You never know how you will act when it is something that is close to you, y'all were taken care of from up above. It is good that Rob was calm as I normally am.
All of us are glad you are back and safe, and you can tell that you have been missed.

Dick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts