My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 10247 that I rescued from my new neighbors junk pile about 6-8 years ago became my main mower. I love the power of that 6.5. The wife and I recently began noticing the smell of raw gas coming from the garage. Yesterday, atempting to mow the lawn, I found a football size puddle of gas on the garage floor..... No leaks from the carb. No gas on the upper deck or driveshaft. Turned her on her side and the "catalytic converter" was soaked. Dropped the bottom panel and a half cup of raw gas poured out. Thankfully, it stopped after a few seconds. Went to Hastings Hardware in Millvale, Pa and talked to Tom who's been working on LB's for 23 years. He said the ethanol in the fuel reacts with water in the air and corrodes the needle valves. Correct fix: rebuild the carb and find fuel with no ethanol. Quick fix: Install a fuel shutoff switch and close it just before you're done mowing to let the remaining fuel drain from the bowel. Woke up this morning, no gas!!! Spent around $11.00 for a fuel shutoff vale and a tube of sealer for the bottom panel. I had noticed that it wasn't running as smoothly this year but I attributed it to dirt in the fuel.

·
5,268 Posts
Yeah, not sure why Lawnboy stopped equipping their mowers with shut off valves standard. Hated when those Duraforces leak into the muffler and then when you start it the mower blows gas and carbon mix all over the deck. Fuel shutoffs regardless are a good safety feature. Glad you got it figured out. Bill

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I was surprised to not find a fuel shut off when I initially brought it home.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts