My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 of these valves my pair of bolens tractors (one feeds the other) one is for the lift and the other is set up as a Aux circuit the issue is all 4 of them leak (they have done it from when I got them) and i can not find a Seal kit they use some kind of lip seal the od of the spool is .500 and i think the id where the seal goes is .375 I thought of using Orings but i don't think they would have the greatest sealing ability i Have read about X rings and i am wondering if they would work as they have 2 x the sealing Area
Any opinions?
Thanks

Attachments

·
22,347 Posts
Pull one of the valves apart. Chances are that the "lip seal" is actually an o-ring. It is on the valves for my FEL and MF1655 anyway.

O-ring #106, if my faulty memory is correct. It should be available at a decent hydraulics shop or industrial supply house, if you have one in the neighbourhood. It isn't available in those bulk o-ring kits sold at CTC, PAL, or auto supply shops.

I got mine at Bearing Supply when I was having the same problem. Canadian Bearings, Kinecor, and The Parker Store are also possibilities. PAL may have them as individual items in the hydraulics shop in the store. It's at 1016 Centennial Dr. E., in the unlikely event that you haven't been there a few dozen times already. :sidelaugh

Take one with you when you go looking, or at least take the spool so the counterman can see what the seal looks like in its natural habitat.

Want a hint? Get spares! I went through a few before I got it right with no leaks. There are some sharp edges involved.

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
Most valves like these, I call them Ag valves, have O-ring seals. Lip seals and O-rings don't normally have the same dimensions. If by X rings you mean quad rings, they have similar dimensions to O-rings and can be inter-changed. If you can measure seal pocket with a Vernier Calaper, (I.D. at spool, width, and bore dim), I could see what seal fits.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had one appart awile ago and they are Lip seals ... I will stop at canadian bearing tonight
The dimentions of the grove are
.500 od
.310 id
Tudor
Do you remember what they cost ?
Also your thinking about Eastern fluid power .. I order from them all the time when Princess auto does not have it

·
22,347 Posts
I had one appart awile ago and they are Lip seals ... I will stop at canadian bearing tonight
The dimentions of the grove are
.500 od
.310 id
Tudor
Do you remember what they cost ?

Also your thinking about Eastern fluid power .. I order from them all the time when Princess auto does not have it
Umm, my prices woud be 30 years out of date. Less than half a buck each if I recall correctly.

My memory is good, but it's not that good! :hide:

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
Its not an O-ring groove. A 1/8 o-ring is actually 1.39 OD. The groove width should be 0.189 to allow compression. Therefore since x-rings are made for o-ring grooves, an x-ring won't fit (they use to be called quad rings. "x" makes sense, since the cross section looks like an X, but O-rings are called "O" ring because the whole thing makes an "O" not just the cross section :dunno:).

So now I'll look for a lip seal, like you said.

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
What does the 0.125 dimention refer to. The grove width should be 3/32. If 3/32 will fit I can get you some U cups.

·
Registered
467 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts