My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found that my gasket on the sediment bowl is leaking like a sieve . I had to buy a whole sediment bowl just to get the cork gasket. It was so difficult to set the gasket on the bowl lip and then try to clamp it to place that I bought a large piece of gas resistant gasket material and cut out an overly large piece. It wouldn't seat correctly either. I clamped it tightly and gas runs everywhere. It there some soft material or even a type of gas resistant glue or sealant that can be used? (PS I tried to make a rubber gasket once and it worked about 2 days and eventually deteriorated to the point gas went everywhere) Has anyone else had this problem? HELP!! thanx!!:tango_face_sad::tango_face_sad:

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Gasoline is difficult stuff.
I'm not familiar with your particular machine [a picture would help].
If it's made for a flat gasket, then you need one of neoprene or other gasoline resistant material.

Permatex #2 is gasoline resistant, it's sticky brown stuff you brush on, but it's thin and won't replace a gasket.
It will make an old gasket seal again, I use it a lot for that.
You can get it at auto parts stores in the US.
Here in Portugal, I have to order it from somewhere far away.

Can you use an O-ring?
If so, you need one for fuel / oil, not one for plumbing. O-rings are available in a huge range of sizes and thicknesses.

·
Registered
695 Posts
AutoZone carries cork gasket material. Its cork mixed with rubber and is suitable for oil and gasoline applications. Gotta think NAPA, O'Reillys, and others would carry it too.

If after a new gasket is installed, you have leaking, are you sure that the surface where the bowl seals to the fixture hasn't cracked or is so pitted that it won't seal? I once had left a chunk of old gasket on a sediment filter on my dad's 8N. I just didn't see or feel it. The new gasket leaked like it wasn't there. That surface has to be flat, clean, without pitting, and nothing stuck to it, to allow any gasket to seal.

Good luck, and please let us know how this works out so we can all learn.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
NAPA carries a cork gasket for the sediment bowl. Soak it in gas for a day before you use it and DO NOT over tighten it. If you over tighten it and crack it you will never get it so seal. Just tighten it enough to make the glass bowl seal against the gasket and not fall off.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was my error.....trying to tighten too tight...I did not wait for it to soak up the gas. It is difficult to align the cork. thank you

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gasoline is difficult stuff.
I'm not familiar with your particular machine [a picture would help].
If it's made for a flat gasket, then you need one of neoprene or other gasoline resistant material.

Permatex #2 is gasoline resistant, it's sticky brown stuff you brush on, but it's thin and won't replace a gasket.
It will make an old gasket seal again, I use it a lot for that.
You can get it at auto parts stores in the US.
Here in Portugal, I have to order it from somewhere far away.

Can you use an O-ring?
If so, you need one for fuel / oil, not one for plumbing. O-rings are available in a huge range of sizes and thicknesses.
Maybe an "0" ring would work....thanx for reply

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AutoZone carries cork gasket material. Its cork mixed with rubber and is suitable for oil and gasoline applications. Gotta think NAPA, O'Reillys, and others would carry it too.

If after a new gasket is installed, you have leaking, are you sure that the surface where the bowl seals to the fixture hasn't cracked or is so pitted that it won't seal? I once had left a chunk of old gasket on a sediment filter on my dad's 8N. I just didn't see or feel it. The new gasket leaked like it wasn't there. That surface has to be flat, clean, without pitting, and nothing stuck to it, to allow any gasket to seal.

Good luck, and please let us know how this works out so we can all learn.
It is so hard to work upside down..I think I did have some old gasket trash still on the rim..that is why I was after some sort of paint-on sealer that would be forgiving of my lack of installation technique.:tango_face_devil:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Might check auto parts store for FelPro #5019 fuel pump bowl gasket, might fit:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/fel-pro-3607/fuel---emissions-16775/fuel-pumps-tanks-16472/fuel-pump-bowl-gasket-12335/c5ee1d039497/fel-pro-fuel-pump-bowl-gasket/5019/4304049

EDIT: should have backed up 1 page, looks like there's 8 sizes,,,

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/fuel---emissions-16775/fuel-pumps-tanks-16472/fuel-pump-bowl-gasket-12335/c5ee1d039497

EDIT EDIT: some of those are duplicats, same thing different brands.
Thank you...I will try to find it...at your URL

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Here ya go sediment bowl neoprene gaskets NAPA/Balkamp "O-ring" p/n 730-9506. This is all you need, they call it an o-ring but it is the correct gasket for the bowl just not made of cork. You do not want to use Permatex on the gasket in the sediment bowl.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here ya go sediment bowl neoprene gaskets NAPA/Balkamp "O-ring" p/n 730-9506. This is all you need, they call it an o-ring but it is the correct gasket for the bowl just not made of cork. You do not want to use Permatex on the gasket in the sediment bowl.
Thank you sooo much!:tango_face_smile:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same problem. Compared the new cork gasket with my old 9N gasket and the new one was a bit larger so it didn't fit in the bowl. Tractor parts store exchanged it with a rubber gasket from Massey Ferguson, I think. Still have slight leak so I bought bowl assembly to install this winter.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Eliminate the bowl and install a filter.

Will need to be inventive to get around the banjo bolt issue. I did it with a brake line.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,605 Posts
A filter with a water separator is a good investment on anything that sits a lot between uses,or uses diesel fuel...
These 2 wix numbers are for the filter and the screw on base,the filters cost about $25 but they do not need replacing all that often due to the large capacity..

I take sediment bowls off all my small engines,and put a fuel filter on it instead--they are always a pain,they leak,and if water freezes in the glass bowl it will crack,good luck finding an identical bowl (or gasket) to fit it--it seems everyone makes them just a little different size so its tough getting the correct replacement..places like Northern Tool and Tractor Supply sell the whole unit cheap enough,but they dont seem to list replacement gaskets or bowls for them..

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Same problem. Compared the new cork gasket with my old 9N gasket and the new one was a bit larger so it didn't fit in the bowl. Tractor parts store exchanged it with a rubber gasket from Massey Ferguson, I think. Still have slight leak so I bought bowl assembly to install this winter.
I had some great leads but since I live in an extremely rural area...no one for miles and miles and needed to move it from the road without catching fire, I just took the bowl off, cleaned it around the edge and sealed the bowl with JB Weld. It sealed it beautifully with no leaks and if I EVER have to clean it I will do as you have and just buy a new assembly. I have not had to remove the bowl to clean in many years so a quick way out is just place JB Weld around the bowl lip. I drained my tank and unscrewed the assembly. Took it to the tailgate of my truck and spread JB Weld, waited about 4 hours and it has not leaked a drop.:tango_face_devil::tango_face_grin:

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
A filter with a water separator is a good investment on anything that sits a lot between uses,or uses diesel fuel...
These 2 wix numbers are for the filter and the screw on base,the filters cost about $25 but they do not need replacing all that often due to the large capacity..

I take sediment bowls off all my small engines,and put a fuel filter on it instead--they are always a pain,they leak,and if water freezes in the glass bowl it will crack,good luck finding an identical bowl (or gasket) to fit it--it seems everyone makes them just a little different size so its tough getting the correct replacement..places like Northern Tool and Tractor Supply sell the whole unit cheap enough,but they dont seem to list replacement gaskets or bowls for them..
Nice idea but completely worthless on a gravity feed system, not enough fuel will flow fast enough to keep the carb filled without a pump to move it though the filters.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,605 Posts
I wasn't aware there isn't a fuel pump on an 8N,but then I havent owned one,I had a 600 Ford tractor years ago,can't recall if that had one or not now..

Wix may have other similar filters that are smaller and suitable for gravity feed use,I will have to look in my catalog,I think there are some for storage tanks that work with gravity feed that can also be used on small engines..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts