My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a tiller from the 50's or so that has a Clinton 3hp engine. The owner says he was told that there was an air leak between the carb and intake -- sounds like bad gasket or improper carb setting to my uneducated mind (basically an easy fix). BTW, he was told this by a small engine shop about the air leak.

Of course, I do not have any numbers or pictures yet (will if I get down and make the purchase). Just looking to see if my assumptions sound right from some of the more experienced members here.

Thanks for the assistance in advance!

·
Banned
2 Posts
yes this is possible...I have a Tecumseh at the shop that has an intake gasket leak ..Easy to fix ..not sure how easy it is to find that gasket tho

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am hoping that it is a gasket -- I might have the gasket or one that will work in my stock. Otherwise I have the material that could make on until I find the proper one.

Getting this tiller just might give me a new excuse to go to the Clinton show sometime -- it is in Eastern Iowa about 4 hours away from me. Of course then I could get more info and parts on my Hainke too (has a 1949 Clinton on it).

·
Registered
15 Posts
If it runs you can check the leak idea fairly easy by spraying a short blast of WD-40 or starting fluid around the base gasket and see if the engine changes pitch or smooths out for a bit. If it doesn't, you may want to look for a leak somewhere else, maybe around the head gasket.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took a chance and bought the tiller. The story was that it was running poorly and was in a shop in the past couple years -- the engine is telling me a slightly different story on that time line. It looks like there has not been fuel in the tank for a very long time and that the tank is quite dirty -- I'll have to start with a good cleaning of the tank and probably take the carb apart to clean it out.

Now, this is a Rotoriller Inc. tiller I believe is a model 2 from what info I have (have pictures that will be coming soon). It has a model 900 3143 Clinton engine on it. The machine looks to have lived a failry easy life other than being stored in a damp building -- lots of surface rust but no excessive wear in the tines or other parts. From the info I have found, this should be from the late 40's or early 50's (my info said the Clintons were used on the early model 2's in that time). I will have to go into the Clintn site and look things up to date the engine. There are some numbers on the tiller, but the important ones are scratched and are missing numbers.

Thanks for the help, I wll be posting pictures later when I get the camers unloaded.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts