My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Fall, I purchased some parts for ’52 Ford 8N which I am in the middle of restoring. The parts came as promised and everything was fine. I am at the end of the project now and am experiencing a problem which I have been unable to rectify and was wondering if you had heard of a similar problem and could suggest a solution. One of the parts I purchased was a replacement carburetor. I installed the carburetor and have been unable to get it to stop leaking. It leaks so bad from the air intake sidethat it will not even allow fuel to the cylinders. There was a sheet with the carburetor that said that the float needs to be adjusted as it may have become misaligned during shipping and I have checked that and it still leaks. I also have cjecked the float switch for proper operation.
Can you offer any insight or has anyone else contacted you about this issue. I appreciate your help on this matter as the tractor is nearing getting ready for final painting and this issue has brought me to a standstill.

·
Old 'n Cheap
175 Posts
I would take the bowl off, turn the gas on and gently push up on the float and see if it quits leaking. If it does it would be float adjustment. If it still leaks I would look for maybe a loose float needle seat and/or missing gasket. Is it a new or rebuilt carb?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a new aftermarket replacement.
the only gaskets I see are the one for the carb mating tio teh manifold and the one between the upper and lower carb bodies. Niether of those is leaking. I will try removing the bowl and testing the float valve, I noticed that the float switch needle tended to stick but it alwasy stuck closed so if anything that should cease gas flow in my thinking.

·
Old 'n Cheap
175 Posts
In the kit I bought to rebuild my carb there was a washer size gasket that fit under the float needle seat to keep gas from seeping around the seat into the bowl.

·
Old 'n Cheap
175 Posts
Yep..that's the one. Bush Hawg make sure that one is in there and not leaking. It could just need to be tightened a little if it is.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Another thing to check is that the float is not dragging against the side of the bowl, that said when I had to replace mine with an after market (old one was cracked) it also leaked until I replaced the needle and seat. The one in it just would not stop the gas flow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all, I will get ot to the shop this weekend and check out your suggestions. It kind of irks me that I tried contacting the vendor who sold me the carb and they still have not gotten back with me after sending them 2 emails.

I guess customer service is not their strong suit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts