My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Do you know of a way to reduce/eliminate a leak around where the tractor separates _without_ having to separate the tractor? I was thinking about cleaning it really well at the separation, watch where the leak is, wipe it and dry it, and apply some sort of silicone. Is this a bad idea?

1977 Ford 335 Industrial

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
If that even works, it will only last a little while. Only way to do it, is do it right the first time. But that is just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,357 Posts
Which seam is it leaking at?

If it's between the transmission to rear end then I agree that it needs to be split to seal it correctly.

If it's between the engine and transmission, then that is the bell housing area and it shouldn't have fluid behind it to begin with, and the cause is most likely either a rear seal on the engine or a front seal on the transmission is leaking, and it still needs to be split, but whatever is leaking into the bell housing also needs to be fixed while you have it split.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Really need to know where the leak is BUT if you are not going to fix it right then do not fix it at all. Better to let the oil out in case it is where it should not be.

·
2,117 Posts
Hi all,

Do you know of a way to reduce/eliminate a leak around where the tractor separates _without_ having to separate the tractor? I was thinking about cleaning it really well at the separation, watch where the leak is, wipe it and dry it, and apply some sort of silicone. Is this a bad idea?

1977 Ford 335 Industrial

Thanks!
:wwp:...which separation?

·
Premium Member
7,357 Posts
Top of the seam, or bottom, or partway down one side or the other? What transmission and PTO options does it have?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts