My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I could resist,but it was futile!!1955 IronHorse.I've liked the design of these since I first saw them.Seems to be all original.Good thing is it has spark and compression.Bad thing is the chunk of deck broken off by discharge.I'll post more pics after I give it a bit of a bath.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Nice find, this was the first year for recoil starter and has Iron Horse on top. 1956 models have larger starter and no Iron Horse on top. Canadian models with larger starter continued to have the Iron Horse on top but not US. First models had engine model (C-10 and serial number on an aluminum plate fastened to cylinder fin and shroud was attached with 10/24 screws instead of 1/4 20 hex head bolts. Very first C-10 engines had gas tank and shroud soldered together. Deck should not be to hard to repair as it is aluminum not Magnesium. A chunk of aluminum from something else and you should be able to get it welder. Much easier than Magnesium. If you need any parts, let me know as I have a lot of early C engine parts. I am trying to find an early 8F20K that has the shroud with the 10/24 screws. Most of them were converted to 1/4 20, but surely there are a few out their.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice find! It looks well-preserved.
Yep,for being 60plus years old,it is in pretty good shape.
Nice find, this was the first year for recoil starter and has Iron Horse on top. 1956 models have larger starter and no Iron Horse on top. Canadian models with larger starter continued to have the Iron Horse on top but not US. First models had engine model (C-10 and serial number on an aluminum plate fastened to cylinder fin and shroud was attached with 10/24 screws instead of 1/4 20 hex head bolts. Very first C-10 engines had gas tank and shroud soldered together. Deck should not be to hard to repair as it is aluminum not Magnesium. A chunk of aluminum from something else and you should be able to get it welder. Much easier than Magnesium. If you need any parts, let me know as I have a lot of early C engine parts. I am trying to find an early 8F20K that has the shroud with the 10/24 screws. Most of them were converted to 1/4 20, but surely there are a few out their.
Thanks for the info.I may need to take you up on the parts offer once I get into this a bit more.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
Nice score!
Even has the original wheels. That's a rarity.
That year model the shrouds had a tendency to crack/break around the mounting screws. One of the reasons they went to the 1/4-20 the following year.
I've got the same mower. Just need to get around restoring it. I've got 2 on the go right now with very slow progress.
Keep us in the loop on your clean up and getting it running

G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Nice find....some guys have all the luck?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gave it a quick bath,deck looks better.I was wondering if those were the original plastic wheels , my 5233 which is 10 years newer has steel wheels.Is this carb linkage correct?Now that the shroud is cleaner I can see on/off- choke actuator directions.I can pull for choke but can't turn for on/off.

Attachments

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,783 Posts
Looking good! I don't know much about these old Iron Horse Lawnboys...I would of never guessed that any of those came with plastic hub wheels. They sure look original, but being plastic I have my doubts. Just a guess on the on/off switch, but probably just a little rusty within the mag plate. I think that with some disassembly and cleaning you will be good to go.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
Yes those plastic wheels are original to that model
As for the shroud I find it interesting that the on/off is embossed. It shouldn't be for that year/model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could be a shroud replacement?The paint on bottom edge of shroud does look more like gold than red.But could be just age.

Just noticed I am now a SENIOR MTF member.100th post woo hoo!

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
You have a good eye Reedz. I didn't notice the on/off on shroud. I have attached pictures of early C-10 cylinder with aluminum model and s/n tag. Lawn-Boy later suggested the tags be removed due to better air circulation without them.

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have a good eye Reedz. I didn't notice the on/off on shroud. I have attached pictures of early C-10 cylinder with aluminum model and s/n tag. Lawn-Boy later suggested the tags be removed due to better air circulation without them.
Mine still has that tag on it.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Yes the shroud is a replacement. May be from another later engine or hew when installed. If From another engine it will have engine model and s/n stamped in flap over spark plug or flap to the rear or front of the deck. The original likely broke or split out attachment holes. This would likely have had the small screws holding it on. The mag plate may have been replaced also or the screw holes tapped out to 1/4 20. The original mad plates with small screws did not have as much aluminum to tap out. Getting interesting, look and see if the cylinder has screw hole for model plate. Another note, Lawn-Boy also made a plate the reinforce the shrouds that broke out at the attachment screws. Not sure if they made later shrouds out of heavier material, but only early ones seem to have had the cracking problem.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes the shroud is a replacement. May be from another later engine or hew when installed. If From another engine it will have engine model and s/n stamped in flap over spark plug or flap to the rear or front of the deck. The original likely broke or split out attachment holes. This would likely have had the small screws holding it on. The mag plate may have been replaced also or the screw holes tapped out to 1/4 20. The original mad plates with small screws did not have as much aluminum to tap out. Getting interesting, look and see if the cylinder has screw hole for model plate. Another note, Lawn-Boy also made a plate the reinforce the shrouds that broke out at the attachment screws. Not sure if they made later shrouds out of heavier material, but only early ones seem to have had the cracking problem.
So much for being all original! At least it does have a good shroud.I'll have a look see at it tomorrow and see what I kind find.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
I found row information on the reinforcement plate and changes in early C-10 engines. See the information at bottom of parts page for changes in C-10.

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did some work on it today,got it running.Wasn't getting spark so I cleaned and set points,cleaned rust off of coil.Also removed and cleaned carb.I discovered that it does have replacement shroud and tank,unless they made a special 8F20K with gold tank and shroud!Also noticed that it doesn't have the updated valve and seat that is in the info in old lawnboy's post 15.I just put enough fuel in it to fill carb bowl so I didn't run it long...But it's alive!!

Attachments

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,783 Posts
Glad you got it running! I think you are right about the shroud and tank, I don't think gold was used until around 1958. I'm also glad to hear that those wheels are original. It's probably good that they are plastic otherwise they would of rusted out by now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry for lousy pic but I can't dig the mower out today for a side shot of the wheels - just showing that mine has the original rear plastic wheels as well. Also shroud detail - mine does not have on/off embossed either. And the ID tag on the C-10... Love the horse detail on the shroud on these!

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I see yours has the shroud reinforcement plate too.They must have originally had the screw type gas cap vent according to the instruction decal.Funny but mine has the same wear on the recoil handle!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts