My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was hoping to get at least two working mowers from these three, but after checking and finding a second one is seized, I guess I'll only get one from three, provided all the engines all mount the same.

This 5210(?) is seized, missing the carb side of the motor and the deck is dented in the rear (at the very least least). I really only grabbed it for the recoil assembly.

This 3056 might've actually started, but fuel leaked right out when the valve was opened. It wasn't until I took the shroud/tank off that I realised the fuel line was broken/severed.

And this 5000 is the one I've been taking apart today. The engine is broken and seized.

I hoped to assembly one mower out of the 1st and 3rd mowers using the deck of the 5000 and retain the Ironhorse recoil assembly. It doesn't look that's going to happen now. So maybe the engine from the 3056 will work on the 3rd deck? I dunno yet.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The rest of today's pic of the 5000

As you can see, the engine is wrecked. carb and switch and a few other parts might be good.

Cheers,
Coop

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you may be right. At least the deck from the 5000 is useable and the engine from the 3056 is likely useable. The other one is pretty much completely useless.

If nothing else, I have one engine which spins, that I can practice on. If it works and mounts to the 5000 deck then I'm happy.

·
4,275 Posts
I would disassemble them and put them aside.
You never can tell what may end up desirable.
Just clean them good and check to see if seized is really seized.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, that broken engine...under the flywheel is mint, aside from a deteriorated coil. Behind the carb is mint. Only the upper plate is broken and could be repaired if it was necessary.

The crank wiggles, but the piston is stuck. I put an extension against the rod cap and tapped it...big mistake, that metal is soft.

Snapped a srew off in the outer end of the carb...otherwise it might've been good with a new float and valve. Removing the bowl resulted in a dust storm. The needle valve is mint with the rust stains wiped off. The inner butterfly plate and shaft are mint and shiny

I soaked the top of the piston in PB Blaster overnight, it still won't budge. Broke a flathead driver trying to remove the rod cap. Twisted another trying to remove the top plate.

The crank is likely useable as-is once I can get it out. The on/off switch is absent...of the three of these engines I have, they're all missing the original switch. Two have the original choke control.

meh!

Coop

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cover is off. Cylinder is off. Crank is removed (it was gummed stiff on the bottom end and took some patience to remove).

Rust at the back (inside) side and at the exhaust ports of what looks like an otherwise new piston.

It was left out w/o a spark plug. Either forgotten, or left for parts.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Piston still stuck. sprayed PB everywhere I could, to no avail.

It's been a worthwhile exercise anyway. The crank is good, the shortblock is good, the intake plate is good. Other than a bit of rust at the base of the reed valves, they look like they were never used (bluing still clean).

Who knows, maybe the piston will move tomorrow...that that it'll be any good. I've nearly put a hole in it trying to push it out with a ratchet extension through the spark plug hole.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts