My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm sure there's a logical explantion for the way LB offsets the right wheel. From my personal experience I find it to be a horrible design as one can't properly trim with the right side of the deck and it also leaves an unsightly tire mark for those of us who's into striping the lawn...that's one HUGE con and one normal con...LOL!! Now what's the pro's of this design that could possibly outweigh that inability to properly trim? I mean for many of us, this is the only reason we have a WB.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
256 Posts
I'm not sure. I have read that it is better for trimming, but I haven't found that to be the case from personal experience.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
The offset wheel is to help keep scalping to a minimum with uneven terrain. It seems to me the only time this helps is when these mowers are set at the 5 and 6 wheel setting. Anything lower and I would usually get scalping even on fairly level ground.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
256 Posts
It could be marketing. They probably had some ideas that sound great on paper that don't pan out in the real world and if you wanted one, you could only get it from Lawn-Boy. I assume the owned the patent for it.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Dunno, but that offset wheel helped with the weight of the side bagger. As for edging, I always used the other side. Who would want to edge with the discharge side anyway?

·
Registered
506 Posts
The offset wheel is to help keep scalping to a minimum with uneven terrain. It seems to me the only time this helps is when these mowers are set at the 5 and 6 wheel setting. Anything lower and I would usually get scalping even on fairly level ground.
I have found this to be the case, as well. The Toro I just got is the first 4-square deck mower I've used in quite a while, it seems to produce a more even cut, with no scalping.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
The Stagger wheel was also considered the best side discharger. Since, once the grass hits the mower its thrown out the side on the front, non stagger wheels models send the grass to the middle or the back of the mower....

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
The Stagger wheel was also considered the best side discharger. Since, once the grass hits the mower its thrown out the side on the front, non stagger wheels models send the grass to the middle or the back of the mower....
Best side discharging. The grass comes right off the blade and out the chute-rather than wrapping around the deck or between wheels. I find that the staggered decks on side discharge will blow through just about anything.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Best side discharging. The grass comes right off the blade and out the chute-rather than wrapping around the deck or between wheels. I find that the staggered decks on side discharge will blow through just about anything.
How does it do with your sugar cane patch gman? Do you find tippin' the nitrous button helps or just run the blended racing fuel?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
How does it do with your sugar cane patch gman? Do you find tippin' the nitrous button helps or just run the blended racing fuel?
If I run it straight motor I can cut through bamboo. If I need that extra boost I pre-purge my nitro and click it up a couple clicks so VTEC engages and I can cut through pine trees.

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
it helps with my lawn,my whole yard is nothing but up and down twisting hills. reg decks catch the ground by my neighbors drive way and kill it as the lawnboy makes the most even of the cuts acoss where it slopes off.ever since i started useing lawnboy my yard has more green on the slopes...not bare dirt.as for trimming on the stagerd wheel,i dont even bother,if the lawnboy cant get it the homelite weed wacker will.and i can see the scinece on how the grass discharges harder on how the chute is up front,and how the wheel helps with stability.it also make the top of the mower sit lower so i ccan mow right under the edges of the picnic table with out having to move it.

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,068 Posts
The staggered deck discharges much better than any other 4 square deck that I have used. Who even needs a blower? I just run the mower on the driveway and sidewalk and it blows the clippings back on to the lawn.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well, I probably wait longer than most to mow my grass and I sometimes mow damp grass but I find my 10324 with the legendary Duraforce engine can't make it more than about 20 feet without totally clogging the discharge chute. I try to use a wooden stick to knock the clumps loose but usually I wind up having to shut the engine off to clean it out. The four little patches I mow with a walk-behind require shutting off the engine about seven times. The 8243AE clogged much less.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Well, I probably wait longer than most to mow my grass and I sometimes mow damp grass but I find my 10324 with the legendary Duraforce engine can't make it more than about 20 feet without totally clogging the discharge chute. I try to use a wooden stick to knock the clumps loose but usually I wind up having to shut the engine off to clean it out. The four little patches I mow with a walk-behind require shutting off the engine about seven times. The 8243AE clogged much less.
Gravel....the culprit is the big plastic toe guard that blocks half the discharge area on the DF machines-if you know you are going to side discharge remove it-drill out the rivet and it pops right out if you take off the the wheel adjusters.

If you go back to mulching you can bolt the whole plastic piece back in-but on my DF i side discharge always and took off the toe guard and with a Gator blade it doesn't clump no matter how deep the grass.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
The discharge chute on my LB had this stupid metal brace across the bottom that I took off cuz it would catch the clippings and clog. Worked much better after that.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts