My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lawn Boy
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question. The starter on my moms D400 Engine doesn't "catch" sometimes -- I have to reach underneath and hold the nylon gear with my fingers to make it slide down the threaded shaft.

Instinct tells me to lubricate the threaded shaft, but I thought I remember reading somewhere NOT to lubricate it.

What should I do here?

·
Decesaed (R.I.P.)
1,957 Posts
The nylon gear is the pinion, you don't want to lube that, correct. I would read this section of the manual https://lookup3.toro.com/ttcGateway/acrobat/manuals/lball27.pdf

It's usually the pinion spring that causes this. If it's gotten accidentally lubed or is stretched/worn out the pinion won't engage correctly. Make sure it's prongs are still positioned correctly around the slide as well.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Yup, I had a D-400 do this to me, just pullin and pullin but it would not catch the flywheel teeth, then one day I pulled it and the pinion gear fell out on the deck. I said WTH is that, and got my lawnboy book out to see where it goes. Now that it's in there it catches every time.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,270 Posts
The starter need enough kick to spinn fast enough to kick the gear up...
If it takes off slow it wont raise up the gear..

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
With these ones Kbeitz, I have been able to pull the cord slow and have the pinion catch, the pinion spring is located on the little gear,which is on a corkscrew like shaft on the pull starter shaft. If it is all together right, then it will catch even if pulled slow.

·
Decesaed (R.I.P.)
1,957 Posts
With these ones Kbeitz, I have been able to pull the cord slow and have the pinion catch, the pinion spring is located on the little gear,which is on a corkscrew like shaft on the pull starter shaft. If it is all together right, then it will catch even if pulled slow.
This is true, if it's working right it should engage even when you pull very slow.

·
Lawn Boy
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I'm visualizing the system correctly, I the spring must be a little "opened up" and isn't gripping the pinion, so I should squeeze it together slightly?

·
Decesaed (R.I.P.)
1,957 Posts
Yeah, remove the spring. Compress it, there's a spec (1/4" gap i think) but I compress till the prongs touch. Make sure the groove is clean and dry. Don't stretch out the spring any more than you have to to get it back on. I like to smooth out (fine sandpaper) and lube the slides a little upon reassembly for good measure.

My recoils always work great. Once you get use to working on them and "get" them you'll be able to get them working perfect every time.

Hope this helps :trink39:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts