My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I have a pretty sad life... 31, single, and spent my saturday evening in the garage sanding the primer coat and shooting 2 coats of grabber green on the 8125 deck. Also put the various gunk covered parts through the parts washer, earlier today replaced the upper and lower oil seals. I was sooo thankful that the drive belt pulley set screw on this one broke loose and unscrewed without any real hassle! I think the engine is fine internally, not gonna open it up now. Looks clean from what I can see.

The deck had been "repainted" by the previous owner to sell, with john deere green, and sprayed all over things that should have NOT been painted. Still have overspray to clean off of some various things.

I also need DECALS for this model! The "manual" decal that goes on the front of the deck, the OPEI triangle, and the warning sticker that goes on the top of the chute. The first one, to me, is the most important, but the others technically "complete" the machine.

The paint job looks great in photos, but I promise you it's not THAT awesome... In stripping the old peeling paint off the scratch marks left behind are still a little visible :( I'm hoping that I can give it a sanding with 400 grit and then a 3rd coat of paint and it will be ok. The other one I did turned out pretty smooth after that. It's certinaly never going to be "like new" perfect like some of you guys turn out! But I'm not spending weeks on this either... lol.

Yes, the last pic is the rest of the mower, plus some, piled on the bench. I promise there's some sence to that madness! :trink39:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I am doing the same thing on my JCPenny...sad life huh..:(:thThumbsU

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am doing the same thing on my JCPenny...sad life huh..:(:thThumbsU
I contemplated buying a nice one of those models on Ebay last week, it went pretty cheap, but then I thought about the THIRTEEN others in my shed, and realized I did NOT "need" another LB right now! Those JCPenny models are ugly but it's a ugly that makes them unique and the more I looked at the one the more I wanted it. lmao!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I contemplated buying a nice one of those models on Ebay last week, it went pretty cheap, but then I thought about the THIRTEEN others in my shed, and realized I did NOT "need" another LB right now! Those JCPenny models are ugly but it's a ugly that makes them unique and the more I looked at the one the more I wanted it. lmao!
I call them "hammerheads"...I am doing a full restore. Paint, seals, gaskets bearings etc. It was so clean to begin with only problem is a small crack in the gas tank. Its nice to do a restore on something that isn't beat to death an dcovered in spider webs rust and caked on grass...

I wish I could find a cheap minty Penny fuel tank !

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
Looks good. Sad life???? Getoutta here......I wouldn't call that a sad life, I call that a good life. If you do what you love, you'll love what your doing.

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well just wrecked that paint job! I guess when the can says you can recoat with-in 1 hour or AFTER 24 hours they are serious! I had shot paint on it last night around 10:00pm, this morning I sanded it lightly with 400 grit paper and wiped it down with some lacquer thinner on a paper towel. I thought I'd be fine to go ahead and shoot the final coat on it just now, about 12:30pm. Noooooooope! I got about 1/3 the way around it, looked back what where I started and it's all wrinkled up! Now I have to let that all dry completely and figure out how to fix that!

I really wish I knew anything about painting... Obviously I do not.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
I really wish I knew anything about painting... Obviously I do not.

Join the club.....I did that on my 6252 restore on the side discharge plate....Its still on the "list" of to do's....

Just remember one thing.....its only a lawnmower and its supposed to get dirty.:trink39:

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Well, what wrinkled the paint was the lacquer thinner, not a paint reaction. That chemical can ONLY be used as an initial, bare material surface prep. You can never use something like that over paint, new or old. Isopropyl alcohol works pretty good for light cleaning/smudge removal for detail paint work.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
den. alcohol works good for prep wipes&no reactions

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, lesson learned! It's odd the lacquer thinner didn't appear to do anything to the paint that was already there (the coats I applied the night before). but where I sprayed the final coat (on about 1/4 of the deck) it just crinkled up like mad and now is still gummy like it's not going to dry at all...

I had another one I did that did a similar thing, only not nearly as bad, and I had NOT used lacquer thinner on it, though I can't recall what I wiped it down with after sanding now... That one dried and I was able to sane it lightly again and repaint and it turned out fine then.

Besides that problem I can still see every little scratch and bump from where I was removing the old paint. Paint is NOT good at covering that stuff up unfortunately. I don't know how you guys strip loose paint and prep for repaint. I'm just kinda guessing here. Sand or media blasting isn't really an option. I've been using a paint stripper wheel and scotch brite pads (2") on my angle die grinder. Works well but leaves scratches that don't cover up! Yes yes, I know, it's a mower... But if I want to resell this thing whoever buys it is going to be MAD that the paint isn't better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sad life...If I was 31 again I would have a naked girlfriend sitting on a comfortable stool watching me restore the best 2 stroke mowers around...and she could hand me a beer when I got thirsty...

BTW nice job so far...:trink39:

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sad life...If I was 31 again I would have a naked girlfriend sitting on a comfortable stool watching me restore the best 2 stroke mowers around...and she could hand me a beer when I got thirsty...

BTW nice job so far...:trink39:
Alright, who's the sad one here?? You would rather play with a mower than the girl on the stool, that's already naked??? Hummm... I'd be more like "what mowers?" lmao!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts