My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have LB 7350, shown in my avatar pic. Got it about month ago and it ran but smoked alot and once mowing it lacked power big time.

Was about to take to mechanic but I took muffler off and the exhaust port with 3 holes was clear but the bottom of engine and topside of muffler were caked with carbon deposits..layered on... So I got the brake cleaner and wire brush on drill and manual brush and paint scraper. Cleaned them to the bare metal and cleaned inside of muffler with long engine wire brushes. I didnt think this would help other than my mechanic who would enjoy how clean it was....Anywho I reasembled it all and on 5th pull it started with more power than before and after 2 or 3 minutes of being on it really powered up and smoke is basically gone and it has stayed that way.

Anyways thanks to posts I read here was able to make this motor run very well again. :trink39:

·
my 1st LB was a 3060!
435 Posts
sweet!

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,064 Posts
I have LB 7350, shown in my avatar pic. Got it about month ago and it ran but smoked alot and once mowing it lacked power big time.

Was about to take to mechanic but I took muffler off and the exhaust port with 3 holes was clear but the bottom of engine and topside of muffler were caked with carbon deposits..layered on... So I got the brake cleaner and wire brush on drill and manual brush and paint scraper. Cleaned them to the bare metal and cleaned inside of muffler with long engine wire brushes. I didnt think this would help other than my mechanic who would enjoy how clean it was....Anywho I reasembled it all and on 5th pull it started with more power than before and after 2 or 3 minutes of being on it really powered up and smoke is basically gone and it has stayed that way.

Anyways thanks to posts I read here was able to make this motor run very well again. :trink39:
Yeah, everytime I check the ports, maybe once a season, I notice that the muffler carbon build up is always much worse than the ports. As a matter of fact I can't remember in the 18 years of owning my "F" engine mower that I have ever had any real build up in the ports themselves. I sure wish it were easier to clean those darn mufflers out.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Glad you figured it out, and saved some cash.

I clean my mufflers in the parts washer. Its a pain though, they are very dirty, and then you have to clean the parts washer out after washing a few mufflers... Oh well, its part of the hobby :) (edit) Or sickness :hide:

·
OMC approved.
197 Posts
I never thought about cleaning the muffler:fing20:, are they hard to get off? I haven't really payed any attention to mine so far.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Evinrude....its easy to remove....take blade off....take square metal bracket off with wack of mini sledge...see the three bolts(hex head) remove them and off comes the muffler. Then the real dirty PIA work begins.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts