My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, after doing the whole rebuild/restore and then discovering the coil (ignition module) was no good I thought I was just going to have to wait for a new coil to come. Well I decided waiting wasn't in the vocabulary today, so I robbed the coil off of my R8237 and will just put the new one on it when it comes in. I just mowed with it today, so it's out of the rotation for a while anyway, lol!

Anyhow, the 7268 was a $20 garage sale find. Had around 45 lbs compression, broken recoil, bad wheels, and was dirty as heck. Other than the shroud/cover this is like a new mower now!

-new starter gear
-new rope
-new oil seals
-new piston and rings
-stripped loose paint on deck, repainted w/ grabber green
-4 new white steel ball bearing wheels and new shoulder bolts
-all new gaskets
-replaced coil
-E3 plug

Now it has almost 105 lbs of compression! Once the coil was swapped and I realized that the air filter was fuel soaked from messing with it, it fired right up and ran strong! RPM's were even right about 3300 on "normal". (I didn't do anything to the carb other than clean it in solvent).

Sorry the pics are a bit "fuzzy". Took the pics with my blackberry and the lens tends to get dirty! I have to use a Q-tip to clean it, and I forgot to do that!

Attachments

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,788 Posts
Brand spanking new! Congrats!

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure some of the hard-core purists dislike the non-stock wheels, but for the price difference between plastic and steel, and that I bought these steel wheels for less than most plastic ones I've found... I think they are fine. (J-Thomas) I do prefer the "3 spoke" original wheels for the correct appearance, but who has them? I see them pictured on some store sites, but is that the ACTUAL wheel they are selling? Never know, and for what they want for them, not going to find out.

I put the same steel ball bearing wheels on my 19" bricktop, but on my 7263 I drilled out the wheels to 5/8" and used bronze bushings to tighten them up.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Looks good! I just happen to know of a guy who has a nice, fresh set-o-decals that will really set it off nicely! :fing32:

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks good! I just happen to know of a guy who has a nice, fresh set-o-decals that will really set it off nicely! :fing32:
oooo really??

To bad the top of the tank is so faded/discolored! Can't really see it in the pics because of the angle, but it's pretty bad.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

·
Collector Of Junk!
233 Posts
Looks Great! :thThumbsU:thThumbsU

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very Nice!

If you get time, can you possibly take a picture of the inside hub on the rear wheels?
These are the J Thomas wheels right?
I will, and yes they are from J-thomas. Their prices on them is very reasonable compared to others! I *almost* just ordered the red ones that are greasable. Not that much more $$, but I was buying 3 sets so I opted to not.

The one thing I've noticed is that the width of them, where the bolt goes thru is rather inconsistant. Some are just right and both the inner and outer washer are needed and others are a bit wider than the shoulder with the outer washer left off. I had one that the 2 halves of the hub, that are spot welded together had came apart in the box! Dosn't matter much I guess as the halves are held together when it's bolted in place.

I do question the longivity of them, just because they are bearings and they really can't be lubed. How long do they last with dirt and water getting in them and no grease to displace it?

Thanks for the compliments guys!

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
I say get the stickers. I got mine and put them on my 8238ae, mini resto, and they look great. Thanks Echoman. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Great restore LawnboyKS....I love mine. And don't worry about the "non-stock" wheelzies. If you going to use it and not fleabay it....you can stickl any wheels you want on it !

:thThumbsU

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
echoman: I would be interested in new stickers! Do you have both the front an sides, or just the front? How much do they run?

GTP: thanks! I was thinking about ebay though, because I've spent soooo much on other lawn-boys and I thought I'd try to make some back! Not sure what a restored 7268 would bring... If it would be worth it or not. I have quite a bit in it myself now. lol

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
echoman: I would be interested in new stickers! Do you have both the front an sides, or just the front? How much do they run?

GTP: thanks! I was thinking about ebay though, because I've spent soooo much on other lawn-boys and I thought I'd try to make some back! Not sure what a restored 7268 would bring... If it would be worth it or not. I have quite a bit in it myself now. lol
Old school wheels are fairly easy to find. Use some Easy Off on them and they clean up to almost new looking. I'd slap those on there to max out ebay "correctness". I don't know about 7268s I built mine to keep for our church-but I have seen semi mint 5247s go for pretty good $$$.

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the old wheels of course, 2 sets now... I may see what will clean them up and do the bushings in the centers. I dunno, maybe i'm putting WAY to much work and thought into all of this!

I'm done working for the day already, it's 106 degrees out! Need to work on my M-series, but it's way warm in the garage! I had it loaned to a friend, he called me last night and said it sputtered and died when he was turning around and then when he restarted it the RPM's were WAY high, like screaming... Shut it down. It's running ik now, but still seems a bit high on the revs. Going to poke around on it a bit and give it a good shine :) Of course now I'm thinking about some chevy orange paint for the wheels... lmao.

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
I have complete sets of (4), shipped to you for $24. Need your address. Don't think I ever got it, or did I? Send me a PM.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts