My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone. I'm new to this site. I bought an older Lawnboy 2 weekends ago. It turned out to be a really good deal. I'm running across a problem with the Self Propel. If anyone could help me out that would be great. My problem is the self propel will not stop running. I don't even have to pull the bail and it goes. I did start to take things apart. I unhooked the cable from the bail. The wheels still go. It seems like the pulley guard is not letting the pulley system push down far enough to disengage it. Now when I adjust the back wheels to make the deck higher it will loosen it up a little. When the deck is adjusted higher the self propel will stop but when I pull the mower back the wheels will not move at all. They lock and will not unlock. Even if try to push it an inch to take the break off. Its a Lawnboy 10301 If anyone could help that would be great. Thanks

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Could be the wrong size/type of belt. Experienced the same thing before with the same model. Make sure the belt is not of the cogged type. Has to be the o.e. style.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure if I know what you mean. What do you mean by o.e. style? The belt might be the problem. It does seem a little tight for it. Shouldn't it be a little loose when the self propel isn't engaged? When you pull the bail it should pull the pulley tight to the belt but when it isn't it should have a little play. Right? I don't know. I don't know much about mowers. But thanks for the reply. You have me in a different direction then I was taking. It makes more sense then what I was thinking.

·
Registered
351 Posts
OE means original equipment...........if you are unsure of the belt get a replacement from your local dealer......might be a little pricey but getting the correct part will save you money in the long run.

good luck with the mower!!!

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I had to replace the belt on one of my mowers. I was planning on buying a none OE part but then i figured i am much better off just getting the new one. It was about 25 bucks at my dealer

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know what the part number is to the belt? Or if you tell me how to get it from somewhere. I tried the LB site and I can't seem to find it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok the more I look through this site the more I learn. I think I screwed up the model number. I think I might have the 10314. But still not real sure. How would I tell. At first I thought it was the 10301 but was looking at one the the threads saw the 10314. It looks a lot more like it. The sticker that has the model number was washed to hard or washed off with a cleaner or something. Is there any way to figure out what model I have? Really thanks for all the help guys.

·
Wile E. Coyote
626 Posts
Did you try to adjust the bail cable? Loosen the nut where the cable attaches to the handle. Then squeeze the bail until it is about an inch from the main handle. Tighten the nut back up and take it for a test run. If this does not help, the belt may be the wrong size.

Pete

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I did try adjusting the bail. I can take the wire completely off and it will still run. How loose should the belt be when its not in use?

·
Wile E. Coyote
626 Posts
It should be loose enough to not catch the pulley but not too loose that it can slip off either.

·
Registered
656 Posts
:Welcome1:

Take belt guard off.....is there a separate tension adjustment??? If so....
Take belt off, measure entire length of belt (say 33") then head off to a local hardware store (ACE) and buy a cheap belt one inch longer (34") ....and I'll bet it works. :i_praying

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
This may sound stupid, but is the belt routed correctly? I had a 10515 that would drive itself and it was because the way the belt ran on the engine mounting plate. Instead of being between the notches, it was on the outside of one, making the belt tight, thus engaging the SP.

Maybe I'm not explaining it good, but take a look at how the belt is sitting under the engine, you should be able to see it just by taking off the plastic transmission cover.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Es bob I know what your saying. I'll check that out. If that isn't what it is then I'm going to try and go and inch bigger. Thanks for the welcome. Also thanks for all the help in such a short amount of time. I'm going to see what I can do with it today after work. It was storming lastnight so I didn't get a chance.

·
Lawnboy Green
633 Posts
If it turns out that you need a longer belt, you can try a 3/8 belt from the Auto Parts store. Some of the older lawnboys, like the ones with the disc drive trans are finicky in that the thickness of the belt is critical and on those models its best to use an oem part.

Best wishes,
Bob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts