My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, I have enjoyed this forum for help on my Ingersoll 3014 many times, but now looking for a lawnboy for trimming and hills that are too steep for my tractory (although it is amazing the angles I can get that thing to climb when I have to get it done). The hilly terrain and memories of a much older lawnboy growing up have me leaning this direction and there are a couple choices on local craigslist right now that i'm considering. Here goes:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/grd/1869169196.html
This is a model 10323 and serial number 8932130. 6.5 duraforce, older lady owns it now who has been putting off shoulder surgery and could not pull to start, so it's been sitting for 2 seasons. She finally is giving it up, has a lawn service. She told me she used it for 3 years before that with no problems and ran the gas completely out at the end of each season, so at least there has not been old gas sitting it tank or carb. But, it has not been started in 1.5 to 2 years, so may need some tinkering. She is 2nd or 3rd owner, no manuals. Asking $95, probably take $80, but may need a little spent of course.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/grd/1857889455.html
This is a gold series, model 10515 but not sure of a serial number. From the little I know, the gold series is aluminum deck, which I like for reduced weight, but called this guy and says it is hard to start cold, thinks the primer bulb is giving too much fuel. Once running and warm it restarts easy. Only 4.5 HP is a drawback in my mind, cutting some pretty tall stuff at times. only asking $75;

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/grd/1857042271.html
This one lists a model year (1996), and looks very clean, again only 4.75 HP Silver series model 10304. have emailed this guy, says it runs great, he is selling because he came accross a gold series and does not need both. Pretty firm on $125 price.

The second and last option looks to me to be about the same age, and 4.5 and 4.75 HP has me worried. I'm not cutting huge areas, but will be trimming some tall weedy stuff from time to time, so is the 6.5 HP duraforce a better choice? What other concerns make one a better choice than the other? Also, I may be just pushing back and forth more than using the self-propelled feature, so not too worried about that as long as they can all be used in "neutral" I guess. I'm thining the 10323 is the newest, but may only be by a few years. I'd also prefer not to spend the $125 for the most expensive, unless there is a reason that is a 'great model' to have, etc... So, any advice about these options?

Sorry for the long post, but I know if I explain what I'm looking for, there are folks on here that can help...Geoff.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Welcome to the walk behind section of MTF!

I would definately recommend the 10515. It is a 3 speed self propel model and has an aluminum deck, as well as an F engine. One of the greatest combo's! Don't let the 4.5 HP fool you, they are powerful, easy to maintain, and are very simple. The F engines are very reliable. Many favorite the 10515. Some say it's one of the best Lawnboy's made. I could agree with that. I had one and loved it. Besides, the one you're looking at is a one owner machine, and for $75 with a rear bagger? That's a steal! That fuel/primer problem can be fixed. If you want it, better go and get it quick!

The 10323 would be a second choice for me. The 6.5 HP Dura Force engine is very powerful and strong. The 1 speed self propel is nice, but the 3 speed of the 10515 is a feature that the 10323 doesn't have. The 10323 has a steel deck, which is good as long as it is taken care of.

I would not recommend the 10304 V myself, as they are too common and not the best out there, IMHO. Sorry to you V engine fans. Anyways, the V that you are looking at is basically a 10323, but without a 6.5 HP Dura Force engine. The V's have proved to be too troublesome and unreliable and they vibrate alot, at least the past 2-3 of them that I've had.

The self propel on all of these mowers has neutral, as you would like. Also, all of them have 4 in 1 capabilities- rear bag, side bag, mulch, and side discharge. All of these mowers have lots of power, if they're tuned right. The 10515 Gold Series would be my recommendation. It's a very tough and reliable mower. It's setup very nice.

But, please don't listen to me only, there are lots of others on here that can give you their opinions/recommendations too.:thThumbsU

Good luck! Hope this helped.:fing32:

·
Registered
204 Posts
10515 for sure. Those are powerhouses, you can select your walking speed, and i think they look cool and professional with that big control box and stuff.LOL. They really are a great machine, i have one and i think the world of it. Great Mulcher as well.

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
The first one is a steel deck I assume (sorry I don't know all my model numbers by heart like some of you guys, lol) If so I'd probably steer towards the 10515 gold series as well. Compared to a 4.5 hp 4 stroke the 2 stroke is a LOT more powerful. Plus the 3 speed and the alum deck are really nice. I've never had a desire to have a steel deck LB myself. I think they only built them to meet a lower price-point.

·
Registered
141 Posts
From the little I know, the gold series is aluminum deck, which I like for reduced weight, but called this guy and says it is hard to start cold, thinks the primer bulb is giving too much fuel.
An aluminum deck on a lawn mower usually isn't lighter than steel. The 10515 weighs about 93 pounds compared to around 70 for the 10323. In my very limited experience a 10323 is much easier to maneuver than a heavier model. If you're not using the self-propel then a 10323 would definitely be much easier to use.

Personally I don't like aluminum decks since flinging up a pebble can destroy one. Steel will dent while aluminum cracks and shatters. Cracked aluminum can be welded by an expert but a dent doesn't hurt steel. When new a steel deck was about $100 cheaper, $500 for a 10525 compared to $400 for a 10324 made the same year.

Having said that, out of the three the 10515 is the best buy but the problem sounds like more than the primer bulb.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies thus far, will try and persue the 10515 tomorrow. Glad I asked as I'm not familiar with the engine and self-propel differences. Sounds like the HP rating is not as big a deal as I assumed. Feel free to keep the advice coming and i'll let y'all know if I get one of theses!

Geoff.

·
2 strokes forever!
485 Posts
From your list choices, 10515 for sure! Don't let the 4.5 HP rating fool you that this doesn't have power as it does! '94 and back have the metal Walbro carb instead of the plastic. My '94 10515 does not have a primer bulb??

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'd lean towards the 10515, too, but you did say that you might be pushing the mower more than using the drive system. If that's the case, the 10323 might be a better choice for you. Even though it is a steel deck, it'll never rust if you keep it clean, and slap a fresh coat of paint on it every now and then. Plus, you can't argue with the power of a Durforce!

I have a 10415, which is the same as a 10515, only not self-propelled. Speaking from experience, that thing will wear you out! It's a lot of mower to not have a drive system.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I really, really like the engine in the 10515. Like so many others have said, power will not be an issue.

If maneuverability and lightness are a top concern, I might look around for an older LB with an aluminum deck, like a 7268. Same engine, a lot less weight. On the other hand, you probably just want to buy a mower and get it over with, so I'll cast another vote for the 10515.

·
Registered
972 Posts
If your trimming around obstructions and ditches I'd take a 10323 over the rest. The duraforce 6.5hp is the stoutest of them all. They are significantly lighter and easier to maneuver. The 10323 is the easiest to use on hills especially mowing side hill.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey all,
Thanks again for all the feedback and advice. I ended up getting the 10515 tonight after work. The guy was the original owner, had the owners manual, extra blade and side bag kit. He explained the primer bulb 'problem' which was he had it worked on at a local shop this spring and after that it was over-priming and flooding the thing, making it very hard to start cold. He thought it was a serious problem so went out and bought a new honda mower. Could not return the Honda since it had been used, so selling this. It was cold (not been run) when I got there, and sure enough on the 3rd pull it fired up, not pressing the primer bulb at all. Seemed sincere, and once it was warm, fired right up easily. So, not too worried about it. If it needs more work in the future I can research further, but think it's a heck of a deal at $70!

Also, the self propel feature works better than I thought. The only other self propel mower I used long ago was a front drive Toro, and it was too back heavy to work worth a darn. The thing is a little heavier than i thought, but not unmanageable. Interesting those of you that pointed out the 10323 is lighter with the 6.5 dura force, but I could not pass this thing up. If that one is still available next week maybe i'll make her an offer for a second/spare. May have a hard time explaining that to my wife though... oh well.

Geoff.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Hey all,
Thanks again for all the feedback and advice. I ended up getting the 10515 tonight after work. The guy was the original owner, had the owners manual, extra blade and side bag kit. He explained the primer bulb 'problem' which was he had it worked on at a local shop this spring and after that it was over-priming and flooding the thing, making it very hard to start cold. He thought it was a serious problem so went out and bought a new honda mower. Could not return the Honda since it had been used, so selling this. It was cold (not been run) when I got there, and sure enough on the 3rd pull it fired up, not pressing the primer bulb at all. Seemed sincere, and once it was warm, fired right up easily. So, not too worried about it. If it needs more work in the future I can research further, but think it's a heck of a deal at $70!

Also, the self propel feature works better than I thought. The only other self propel mower I used long ago was a front drive Toro, and it was too back heavy to work worth a darn. The thing is a little heavier than i thought, but not unmanageable. Interesting those of you that pointed out the 10323 is lighter with the 6.5 dura force, but I could not pass this thing up. If that one is still available next week maybe i'll make her an offer for a second/spare. May have a hard time explaining that to my wife though... oh well.

Geoff.
Glad you got it. The 10515 was the wise choice! Good luck with it.

And, just to let you know, you have LBAD!:Stop: You want another Lawnboy! That will turn into 5!:ROF It's happened to mostly all of us. You're not alone.

Anyways, hope you get a good deal on the 10323. It is a nice mower as well.

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,131 Posts
May have a hard time explaining that to my wife though... oh well.

Geoff.
LOL. The secret is to pass on the Lawnboy addiction to your wife and then she will be suggesting to you to... "Hey, why don't you buy another one of those Lawnboys".

P.S. It hasn't worked for me yet, but I haven't given up hope. I'll let you guys know when I have successfully passed on my addiction to my wife:thThumbsU Don't hold your breath waiting though.

·
Registered
396 Posts
And, just to let you know, you have LBAD!:Stop: You want another Lawnboy! That will turn into 5!:ROF It's happened to mostly all of us. You're not alone.
Yup...mine started with a single M series this spring. Four months later I now have 3 M series, a 10515, a 8243, and a 7270. The wife is not happy at all. I need to get rid of a few of them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts