My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what to do. Straight gas was put in the tank and ran until it quit. I was told it wouldn't start. So I checked to make sure if it had gas and it did. I did not check to see if it was mixed. 1st mistake. It started right up for me (this was a week later) and I started mowing. 2nd mistake. It started running slower and slower and I shut it off. It was hard to pull over....duh! I asked 'What gas did you put in it?' I used that container was the reply. I checked 'that container' and it was straight gas.....uh oh. This was last year. I went to the shed and pulled on the starter cord and the mower pulls thru just fine but I did not attempt to start it.

Big question....What would you all do at this point? Is it toast?

tks
Gary from Oregon

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The damage is already done, it won't be getting any better by itself, ya you can get them to run, sort of, by over oiling it and whatever...but the engine is toast, you won't know how toasty till you take it apart & look. Lack of oil damage is rarely in 'just one place', by the way.

If your just curious, remove the muffler and have a quick look in the EX port, that will probably show you all you need to know.

wwxx

·
2,052 Posts
He said he shut it down before it seized hard, and pulls over OK now, that's why I figured there some small chance he got away with it.

Definitely agree it probably didn't do it any good... still worth a try though.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
diesel or tranny fluid in the spark plug hole to help free up the rings ( if stuck ) and let sit over night ... then refill with fresh mixture and see if it runs ...

if you get lucky , you're lucky ... if not , you've lost nothing and still have to do a tear down ...

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'd run some premix in it and start it up. Let it run a bit and maybe check compression after it cools down. Not sure which mower you have but a hone job plus new rings are cheap and easy.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
You don't say which engine you have but is likely the F series. They are not hard to rebuild, piston and rings are still available and reasonably priced. You will need a small tube of anaerobic sealer for the crankcase.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its the 10247 Silver Pro Series Duro Force 6.5 Commercial Grade.
I finally got back to it about a week ago. Put 'Mixed' gas in it and it pulled over but wouldn't start. I pulled the plug and check the spark .. none. Ordered a new ignition coil $14 bucks w/ shipping so I figured it was a small price to pay. It arrived today, got it installed, started first pull after primer bulb massage. It ran good, fast but good and I finally sprayed wd40 on the carb/throttle controls and got it to settle down and run pretty good. I will have to do some tuning to the carb/controls as now it idles good but does not gain enough rpm to mow with.

So thanks for the advice to 'try it'. I'm not good with carbs so I might have to break down and take it to the shop. :dunno::dunno:

Gary from Oregon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fired it up again and let it run and it has slowly picked up rpm and has some range to it so I mowed with it and when it gets into heavy stuff the governor (sp) kicks in and brings up the engine speed/torque and it seems to do pretty good. I am going to thank my lucky stars and go onto different projects. Thanks for all the advice.
Gary from Oregon:thThumbsU

1 - 9 of 9 Posts