My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 30 year old Lawnboy died today. The motor runs fine, deck and wheels are in good shape, it's been well taken care of, but the transmission gave up. I am looking for recommendations for a new mower. Self propelled, mulcher, bagger, capable. I would like 21". I mow the yard with my tractor, my wife trims with the Lawnboy. Any advice on what is good, or what is bad? Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
29,574 Posts
Just picked up a Toro Personal Pace and like it, has electric start (spoiled myself a little!) Doesn't cut as good as a Lawnboy but not too bad. The transmission is nicer than the capstan drives I used as a kid and better than the Sears Eager One that it is replacing.

·
2,860 Posts
Get another Lawnboy? Several members on here who could help hook you up with another, or parts to fix yours. (y)

·
5,538 Posts
I second another Lawnboy. Heck you said it lasted 30 years. Why not another. They are out there. Bill

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
good morning
to ask you what year and model number of the self propelled lawn-boy mower you have
maybe you ask other members to help you and may i suggest you try graveyard mowers
he maybe able to help you find the parts you need in getting your mower up and running
great again hope this helps you out that is my way of helping out other members with there
lawn-boy repairs your fellow lawn-boy forum member Scott

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
best new mower is the snapper ninja or hi vac models. disk drive trans is simple and durable . i use these in my lawn biz daily. one of these will easy last 30 years the hi vac will mulch of bag leaves best in industry

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
I also have a Toro Personal Pace, I like it and it didn’t break the bank.

Honda makes some nice mowers but you are going to pay for nice.

CCMoe

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
Maybe someone can help me diagnose my Lawnboy problem. As I stated earlier, the self propel function failed. Belt turns, pulley spins, Transmission in gear, axle does not turn. I decided I had nothing to lose by tearing into it. I couldn't break it more that it was. I split the 2 transmission halves. Pinion gear, spur gear, ALL gears look good. Nothing missing teeth. My question is..........what on the final drive gears engage the axle? I can spin the gears by hand, or spin the axle with a pliers, neither one affects the other. I hope I explained this in a way that's understandable. FYI Model number, 10515 Serial number, 3913965 Thanks BoWoogie

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it fixed. I'm better than I thought I was. Or just lucky. 😏

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Going to try and explain this the best I can. There are 2 sets of gears in the transmission. The gears that are turned by the belt and pulley I will call the primary gears. This set of gears is not pinned or keyed to anything. The second set of gears (on the axle) I will call the secondary gears. There is a collar on the axle that has a roll pin through it and the axle tieing them together. This roll pin sheared. The following is a link to a parts page. I hope it works. Index item #1 is the roll pin that goes through the collar and axle. It sheared. 37 cents, a trip to the local farm store, couple beers, and some really greasy hands, and it's mowing again. 37 cents is a whole lot better than $500 for a new mower. Besides, my wife REALLY likes this mower.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,733 Posts
Good job saving another from the scrap pile!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts