My Tractor Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Am I really missing out ? I haven't seen a can of lawn boy oil, or even a bottle so I haven't tried it. It really smells that good? I do love the smell of two stroke anything. But I use synthetic or synthetic blends in my lawn boys . I like to use opti2 in almost all of my two strokes including toro suzukis, and the high revving ope. Mostly use the Lucas full synthetic (snowmobile oil)in my lawn boys which is fairly new but runs great at 50:1 I can run it at 40:1 but I notice a lot of unburned oil under the deck out the muffler any richer than 50:1(and yes my seals are new). This stuff keeps ports clean, and compression high after a couple years of use. I do use opti in lawnboys as well but after I found the Lucas full synthetic I use it more often just for the security of having enough oil in my vintage machines. I used to use plain outboard oil when i was around 12 years old because thats what i could find a quick bike ride to the top of the road. Is the lawn boy oil Dino or a blend? I always have a shelf full of high end 2t oils on the shelf because I used to have a first generation rx7 that had the oil metering pump deleted, so I ran 90:1 -100:1 premix. So now my tools get to use up the rest of my synthetic two stroke oils. I won't use a high ash oil in a lawn boy or other low revving engine though. One thing I never figured out if the ash is still a problem in a jaso FD or a iso edg+ oil, since those are the highest lubricity ,cleanest burning,least smoke oils available , will they still cause ash to build up on spark plug gaps,piston tops etc in a low steady rpm engine such as LB or toro Suzukis today? What does lb oil smell like? Do you have to clean ports regularly? Even with mmo or seafoam? Thanks

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,757 Posts
You arent missing anything. I just like to stick with ashless lawnboy oil formulated for Lawnboy by Lawnboy. I dont use mine commercially and if I ever have to clean the ports it wont ever be a bugger to me. I enjoy maintaining my machines. I certainly dont feel a need to advertise a product, just sharing information on another popular choice for Lawn Boy users.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
i have several of the high tec oils also but like you want to give the vintage machines enough oil also. i use outboard oil. having a lawn biz i use a lot so cost does matter. its not uncommon for me to burn 1 gal a day of mix gas. only my sthil 4 mix machines get synth oil as they must have it . like ford tec i agree the only thing special about lawnboy oil is the smell

·
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
This is an older thread but the continuation is related so here goes. For those of you that have followed this thread you know I purchased about 659 cans of Lawnboy oil a few years ago. Kept 200 for myself and passed along the rest to members on the forum and sold some cases on eBay. Fast forward to 12/2015 and I decided that the original 200 was not going to last me as long as I thought (about 37 cans per year usage) so I approached my local Farm and Fleet looking for a price break on 3 cases of 8 ounce oil. They regularly sell these for $2.19 and they gave me a price of $1.19 per bottle so I purchased 144 or three cases. Figured I was set for a while now. Fast forward again to yesterday and I counted up how many cans and bottles I had left and looks like now I was using about 45 per year and had about enough left for 5 years so I made the trip back to Farm and Fleet with my original receipt and asked if they could still do the $1.19 price each. After a manger's approval I ordered three more cases (144) so I should be good for about 8 or 9 years. Just wanted to share this as a person might be able to contact their local farm store if they sell the Lawnboy oil and see if they can get a price break. Never hurts to ask and I always say "if you don't ask, you don't get." Bill

·
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)
I started this thread way back in January 2014 so it is kind of an evolving one. I was just updating some figures in the computer and looked back at last years oil usage. I used 26 cans of Lawnboy oil last season. In 2017 I was using about 45 cans per season. Lost a couple of neighbor accounts between 2017 and 2019 so that accounts for less use. Then I thought I would check my inventory and I still have 276 of the 8 ounce containers left. Of those, I am down to 13 of my original purchase of the 659 cans from the AAA Rental place in January 2014 so the can era is coming to a close. Perhaps I will keep one 4 pack as a collectible. Based on the oil used last year I should still have enough to last me 10.6 years, assuming the usage stays the same. Just thought it was kind of interesting how this originally started with the purchase of 659 cans, followed by the sale of all but 200 to Forum members and eBay. Then realized I would need more and had to purchase 144 in 2015 and again 144 in 2017. Thought I would include pictures of the purchase that started it all for those that have not read back to the beginning. Bill

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,757 Posts
I decided to use up my 20oz bottles up before I use the rest of my cans. Should be at least 10 yrs if I last that long.

·
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Hi FordTech! Yeah I decided that if I was going to go the effort to get the original amount that I was going to have the pleasure of using them. Looks like my average usage over the last 6 years was 31 cans per year. Now it's down to 26. Bill

·
Frame Swapped '88 322
1,247 Posts
Hey Bill, just curious, what year range are the two can types you have?

·
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I saw your question and figured if there is an answer it would be in this thread. Bill

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi Guys! For those of you who are able to still get and use the Lawnboy oil, how much are you having to pay for an 8 ounce bottle? My local True Value has them priced at $2.59 plus tax for a total of $2.77 and my local Farm and Fleet has them priced at $2.19 plus tax for a total of $2.34. I am checking on this because I have an opportunity to purchase 759 cans of the Lawnboy GenII ashless oil in the purple and green can. I believe this was the last can before they went to the plastic bottles. If anyone can confirm this, let me know. My intention is to buy a couple hundred for my self and then pass the rest along to other forum members. Just trying to figure out the whole logistics of cost plus shipping while trying to create a bargain for anyone interested. This is still in the negotiating stage so any input as to pricing as well as any interest in these will be appreciated. From what I have been able to research, these would have to be shipped in lots of 48 in order to maximize the cost savings. Some of the cans have minor suface rust on the outside so probably not the best as a collectible. Also, if this deal goes through, anyone attending the get together the first part of March here in the Quad Cities, could certainly pick some up as well to save the shipping cost. Bill
Holy cow, that’s a ton of oil there ! I was able to buy 7 cases of the 2 cycle oil from 1992, the cans that were all green with white writing on them . Also bought 3 cases of the 1983 style cans with the snowmobile, mower , chainsaw etc from my friend that was selling out his inventory back in 2004.
that old blue oil has such a great smell to it when it’s burning!
Those cans with the black on them that u have would be the same . Neat find u have there !

Attachments

81 - 90 of 90 Posts