My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
My wife and I were mowing about 9 to 10 lawns most of the season so I was getting about 8 gallons of fuel about every 4 to 5 weeks in the peak mowing season. Still doing leaves but slowing down a bit. Bill

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Bill,
I've only used two cans from the half case that you sent me this spring. I've played around with some Opti for a few mixes also. Grand total mixed this season was eight gallons. I'm waiting until we get closer to snow blowing time before I mix the next batch using the Lawnboy oil.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Welcome Spindr, I have 3 bricktops and a brick top edger, Plus a couple of F's and a D600. Not in your league though! You will enjoy the forum here. It's a Lawn Boy forum with in a tractor forum.

For the record I used 20 plus gallons this year of 2 stroke. Some Opti thrown in there but mostly LB oil in the 2 gallon mix size, $3.29 a bottle at Nuts and Bolts a local hardware store I love to shop at.

·
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
Hi guys! This was my original thread about Lawnboy oil and pricing from over a year ago but I thought it was easier just to tag on to it since it was mine and the topic is the same. After about a year of mowing and snow I determined that I was using about 40, 8 ounce cans a year of the Lawnboy oil. I counted up how many of the cans I had left and it was 142. While that seems like a lot of oil it only calculates out to about three and a half years so I thought I would start checking around for the best price. The servicing hardware store in Bettendorf has the 8 ounce bottles for $2.99, and you can buy cases of oil on eBay for $129.99 shipped which makes them $2.71 each. My local Farm and Fleet has them for $2.19 plus tax so that seemed to be the way to go. Anyway I stopped in just before Thanksgiving and asked the clerk in the small engine department if they ever gave discounts for quantity purchases hoping that maybe they would drop the price a bit to $1.89 or $1.99 each and I would buy three cases. They did some checking and after talking to the store manager they were told I could buy them for $1.19 each!!! WOW!!! Ordered three cases right then and there and they finally came in today. That gets my total back up to 286 which should get me at least 7 to 8 more years of mowing. I'll only be 70 by then so I hope to still be pushing a mower. :) I guess it pays to ask when purchasing quantities as the old saying "if you don't ask you don't get" kind of applied in this case. Anyway, can't hurt to check. Bill

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,534 Posts
Im glad I dont mow like that in my case. I use about 6-8 cans a year. Everytime I think Im going to double that we get a long hot spell and grass mowing comes to a screeching halt. I do some weeding and tree trimming but not enough to use much more. Im glad you got restocked. I havent taken inventory of how much I have because I just moved into a different home and its all piled up in one of my sheds with loads of lawnboy mowers and parts and It will be a couple months before its all organized. I guess its no longer practical to buy cans for use since most of the Ebay sellers are asking collector price for common daily use cans these days.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I still use a loafer with D400 series engine and thee ring piston so need 16 to 1 mix in it, but have later Duraforce engine on the 24 inch mower so only need 32 to 1 on it. So I have two different mix cans. Cans hold 2 1/2 gallon so I use 8 ounce can or bottle and 2 gallon of gas in one for Duraforce engine and use 20 ounce bottle and 2 1/2 gallon of gas in the can for older engine. For someone that used a lot of mix, I think the 20 ounce bottle and 5 gallon of gas is a good deal if you can find the 20 ounce bottles of Lawnboy oil.

·
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I've never seen a 20 ounce bottle of Lawnboy oil. Anyone have a link to these being sold anywhere? Bill

·
4,534 Posts
I think all you can get now is the 4 cycle oil in 20 oz. The old website did state you could get 2 cycle oil in 4 and 8 oz cans and 20 oz bottle. I never saw one though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I used to by it in 20 ounce bottles local toro dealer had them listed for 4.25 a bottle. I think they might have been clearanced to move. Once they were gone the 8 ounce bottles took there place. I don't have any pictures of them but they were a square clear plastic bottle with the green lables on the front and back nothing to special.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I just checked my Toro information parts page and the 20 oz. bottle of Lawn-Boy is still listed a available. Shows a list price of $5.99 each and comes 24 to a case. You might try your local source of supply and see what kind of price they can get you on a case. For the record current list price on 8 oz. is $3.99 and 4 oz. is $2.99. Dealers get different discounts depending on how many cases they buy, so if they combine a case of 20 oz. with cases of 8 oz. and 4 oz. oil and you wait till they reorder oil you might get a very good price. part number for 20 oz. is 89933, 8 oz. is 89930 and 4 oz. is 89931. Number is for 1 bottle and dealers have to buy in case lots.

·
4,534 Posts
I ordered a case of 24 20 oz bottles. Ill let you know if they actually ship them to me and its a legit deal. I got an update on the order saying they had to order some to complete the order so Im not holding my breath.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I just rechecked the Toro dealer site and it shows the 20 ounce bottles available so you should be able to get them. Case is 24 bottles. Like I said earlier there is extra shipping charges unless the dealer orders a certain amount of cases. But you should be able to get it.

·
4,534 Posts
Well I got a tracking number today. Reason I am not totally convinced its going to be what I ordered is that it was 85.20 for a case of 24 plus 10.95 shipping. Thats about as cheap as you will find lawnboy 2 cycle oil.
Now to actually recieve it and be what I ordered will yet be seen. It could end up being the smaller bottles or 4 cycle oil. Then I wont be very pleased. But the description is this

20 OZ LB OIL W/STABIL(24/
SKU: 89933TOR

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Thats what you should be getting. There is a large markup on oil. Between 40 and 50 percent discount depending on how much a dealer orders. Then one case is one price and the more cases you buy, an additional 3 to 5 percent discount. When ordering with spring parts, dealers get free shipping on orders of so many cases and above. You got great deal.

·
4,534 Posts
It should arrive tomorrow. I will let you know if all went well and the company name if its all good. Thanks

That should be my last order as I still have 50 8 oz cans to use up.

·
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Looks like that computes out to $1.42 for 8 ounces without the shipping and $1.60 for 8 ounces with shipping. That's a real good price considering Farm and Fleet is selling the 8 ounce bottles for $2.19 and the True Value store has them for $2.99. Not sure why the local Farm and Fleet sold me the three cases
at $1.19 per 8 ounce bottle but like oldlawnboy said it probably has a lot to do with volume and mark up percentage. Keep us posted when you get your shipment. Bill

·
4,534 Posts
We dont have Farm and Fleet here in Lawton, nor any place that sells Lawn Boy 2 cycle oil period. So it was the best I could do with online access only.

Ebay sellers want vintage oil can collectors prices for plastic cans and gold bullion prices for collectables. sheesh!

·
4,534 Posts
Well it arrived and was indeed the 20 oz bottles. If anyone is interested I purchase them from mowpart.com out of the Dallas area.

When I ordered them there was multiple ways to look them up. It was listed twice. One listed it for the price I paid and one listed it for like 5.49 a bottle. So I said what the heck Ill order it at the cheap price and if they email me and say it was a glitch on site no biggie. But it went through at the low price just fine.

Attachments

·
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
That's awesome Fordtech!! Glad you got what you had hoped for at a great price. Bill

Just tried to search the 20 ounce oil on mowpart.com and only found two listings, one for $6.14 per bottle and one for $7.49 per bottle. According to your previous post you were able to purchase a case of 24 for $85.20 which if I figured correctly is $3.55 per bottle. Either they found their mistake after fulfilling your order and changed the pricing, or there is another way to look it up to get the $3.55 price. Let us know if you can find the correct link.

·
4,534 Posts
Well Ill be darned, just found both links and sure enough you are right, prices went up. Way up. I guess I got lucky. Usually if its a big mistake they will just email you and cancel the order. Sorry about that. I guess your Farm and Fleet deal is the best.

I still dont understand how these places sell for higher than suggested list price, which I believe is 5.99 per bottle

61 - 80 of 90 Posts