My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys! For those of you who are able to still get and use the Lawnboy oil, how much are you having to pay for an 8 ounce bottle? My local True Value has them priced at $2.59 plus tax for a total of $2.77 and my local Farm and Fleet has them priced at $2.19 plus tax for a total of $2.34. I am checking on this because I have an opportunity to purchase 759 cans of the Lawnboy GenII ashless oil in the purple and green can. I believe this was the last can before they went to the plastic bottles. If anyone can confirm this, let me know. My intention is to buy a couple hundred for my self and then pass the rest along to other forum members. Just trying to figure out the whole logistics of cost plus shipping while trying to create a bargain for anyone interested. This is still in the negotiating stage so any input as to pricing as well as any interest in these will be appreciated. From what I have been able to research, these would have to be shipped in lots of 48 in order to maximize the cost savings. Some of the cans have minor suface rust on the outside so probably not the best as a collectible. Also, if this deal goes through, anyone attending the get together the first part of March here in the Quad Cities, could certainly pick some up as well to save the shipping cost. Bill

Attachments

·
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Twocycle! Thanks for the link to the can collection. I was trying to find that earlier but could not find the pictures. Yes, it appears to be the second to last cans produced. I'm sure the oil is still good in these as they are not all that old and I don't believe there is a shelf life on oil. I will count you in for 48 of these. I'm sure we can do much better than you are buying locally. I'll let you know what happens. Bill

·
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info Branden! I am assuming you are referring to 8 ounce containers. Two dollars would be a good price. It's just a shame that so many places choose to mark this stuff up like it's gold. Anyone else care to weigh in with what they are paying for the 8 ounce Lawnboy oil? Bill

·
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys! Thanks for all your input and please keep them coming. To make things worse USPS just had a rate increase starting today so I am back to the recalculating stage. May need to consider other shipping options as well. Doesn't matter how inexpensive the oil is if the shipping prices it out of the market. Just trying to figure out what a fair price per can would be including the shipping. Bill

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,810 Posts
Sounds like a good deal, I wouldn't compare the old can oil to the bottles, in my opinion the bottle oil is not the same at all. To me one of the things that I love about the old oil is the aroma and the new bottled oil has no aroma at all…yeah I know call me crazy, as far as performance goes, it may perform as well or better, but it's just got to have the smell that I have loved for so many years now.

·
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well from what I have been able to find out so far it looks like USPS has a limit of 1 gallon (128 ounces) per shipment. A case of 48 would be 384 ounces so it looks like UPS will be the choice for shipping. I am hoping to touch base with the seller this week. I will post an update after that happens. Bill

·
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
GOT OIL??? Yep, I do!! Made the trip over to see the seller that had the Lawnboy oil for sale as well as a whole bunch of parts, signs, etc. They also have a couple of old Lawnboy mowers but they were too rich for my budget since I wouldn't be using them. Anyway, came away with a handful of miscellenous parts, a 48" Lawnboy sign from 1997, and yes, Lawnboy oil to the tune of 661 cans. I wonder if that is some sort of record here on the forum for the most 8 ounce cans purchased at one time. They actually had 100 more but another member went with me and got 100 for himself. It appears that there are two can eras represented here. The newest, which I was told is the second to the last of the cans produced before the plastic bottles is the Generation II. The others appear to be the third era of can from the end of the can production. I ended up with 327 of the Generation II in the purple and green can and 334 of the next oldest in the all green can. My intention is to keep a couple hundred cans for myself as I use about a case every year and a half so that should last me at least 6 years. A couple of members have already expressed an interest in getting some of these but I should have 350 to 400 to sell. I am offering these up for sale here on the forum first and I will be posting on the Midwest meet and greet thread offering these up to anyone intending on coming to the get together the first part of March. Pick up price will be $2.00 per can. If you are interested in these I will be offering them up in case lots of 48 for $120.00 shipped in the continental U.S. That makes them $2.50 each shipped. The best price for the 8 ounce bottles on eBay right now is $124.99 a case or $2.60 a bottle. Send me a P.M. if you are interested. Here are some pictures showing the back of my SUV full of oil as well as showing it stacked on my workbenches, Also a picture of the Lawnboy sign I picked up. Bill

I thought I would post a link to the mowers the seller has in case anyone has any interest.
http://quadcities.craigslist.org/grd/4259689493.html

Attachments

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,534 Posts
Thats a load of oil Bill.. LOL I last picked up a case of the green can with the black label in the middle pic up there. I think I have a life time supply now. I search for new cans now and then but mostly see cans I already have now. I have two percolators and two trash cans/ash trays. I want the little parts cabinet the guy has on Ebay but he still wants over 500 bucks for it and Im just not that stupid

I think you have the all time record there Bill. The last 3 series released. I dont know the dates of the releases though. They had so many warehouses they originated from and no dates on the cans. They still are much classier than plastic bottles IMHO

·
4,534 Posts
Heres what to do with the extras you cant use bud. Good to the last burble!

·
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very nice Ford Tech! Does that 32:1 coffee blend help keep you regular and keep YOUR exhaust port clean? Bill

·
4,534 Posts
Yes, but it nearly gave me 2 strokes!

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
That's one heck of a load! And the sign is beautiful!

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the compliment on the sign LawnboyKS. It really was a little rough around the edges literally but I got a piece of steel pipe and used it to reform the edge with a hammer. A few small scratches on the white letters were touched up and now it's mounted in the garage with my other new style Lawnboy sign.
Hopefully some more folks will need some of the oil. I have commitments so far for 97 cans so it's a start. Bill

·
2 strokes forever!
467 Posts
Would you sell/ ship less than a 48 can order? I might want to get 24 cans. Would the price/ shipping be half of the 48 can deal? Let me know and thanks!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts