My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys! I was at my local hardware store/mower service shop today to get some fiberglass screen for one of my windows. The woman who is one of the owners asked me if I was in a buying mood and I thought she just wanted to know if there was something I needed or if I was just browsing. Turns out she wanted to know if I was interested in a couple of metal Lawnboy signs and one of those trash/cigarette cans. These are the big metal signs about 83 inches long and 17 inches high. One was on the front of their building and the other has been hanging down in their basement shop. The trash can was not on site as it was at their home. I am not sure what I would do with two of these big signs but would hate to see them not get into the proper hands. I would like the trash can however. Any idea what kind of offer I should make for both signs and the trash can? Here is a picture of what they look like.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Law...ultDomain_0&hash=item3a7fb8a9ae#ht_407wt_1015

I would like to get back with the owners as soon as I can. Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I'm not sure what you should offer, but I've always wanted one of those signs, but don't have the money they seem to be asking for on ebay.

·
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well nothing like resurrecting an old thread but here is a follow up, at least a partial one. Back in 2013 I posted about a Lawnboy trash/cigarette can my local dealer was thinking of parting with along with some big (82") Lawnboy signs. Well they still have the signs but I am now the proud owner of the can. It's not perfect. Has some dings and dents which I will spend some time trying to remove the biggest ones. Has a rusty bottom from sitting on a basement floor. It does, however, have the ashtray top!! I ended up giving her $40.00 for the can and $15.00 for a couple of 14" wheels for my Scott's drop spreader project. (See other thread.) Also brought home a really cool T-Shirt that says "I Entered The Mulching Zone Lawnboy" and a nylon Swingster unlined jacket in green with a Lawnboy logo. Unfortunately the shirt is one size too small as is the jacket so I will be listing them on eBay for the store owner. Once listed I will post a link in the eBay section in case anyone is interested. Anyway here is a picture of the new addition. Bill

Spent some time today removing as many dents as I could in the can and the top. Polished up the cigarette cover with some #0000 steel wool. Soaked the inside with CLR and got all the rust out. It wasn't too bad inside. Set it in a pan with CLR for the outside of the bottom and after numerous soakings and brass brush, wire wheel, steel scrubby pad, etc. the majority of the rust was gone. First picture is as purchased and the other pictures are after the rust removal and cleaning.

Attachments

·
LBAD Victim
1,027 Posts
Well nothing like resurrecting an old thread but here is a follow up, at least a partial one. Back in 2013 I posted about a Lawnboy trash/cigarette can my local dealer was thinking of parting with along with some big (82") Lawnboy signs. Well they still have the signs but I am now the proud owner of the can. It's not perfect. Has some dings and dents which I will spend some time trying to remove the biggest ones. Has a rusty bottom from sitting on a basement floor. It does, however, have the ashtray top!! I ended up giving her $40.00 for the can and $15.00 for a couple of 14" wheels for my Scott's drop spreader project. (See other thread.) Also brought home a really cool T-Shirt that says "I Entered The Mulching Zone Lawnboy" and a nylon Swingster unlined jacket in green with a Lawnboy logo. Unfortunately the shirt is one size too small as is the jacket so I will be listing them on eBay for the store owner. Once listed I will post a link in the eBay section in case anyone is interested. Anyway here is a picture of the new addition. Bill
Very cool! Is this QC power we are talking about? What are they asking for the jacket and shirt?

·
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it was Home Hardware. I will post a link to the shirt and jacket in the eBay/Craigslist section. Bill

·
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shirt and jacket have been sold. Thanks!

·
LBAD Victim
1,027 Posts
Indeed they have! I will have to post some modeling pics once I get them!

·
LBAD Victim
1,027 Posts
Pictures as promised! That is me in the pictures. Thanks again for bringing those out, Bill!

Attachments

·
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking good Riley! You know you can't wear those when using the Cub Cadet. Bill
:tango_face_grin:

·
LBAD Victim
1,027 Posts
Looking good Riley! You know you can't wear those when using the Cub Cadet. Bill
:tango_face_grin:
Oh, don't worry, I won't. Heck, I wont even wear it mowing with the lawn boy. Too rare and special!

·
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well apparently I need to frequent this hardware/repair shop more often. After scoring the Lawnboy Trash/Cigarette can for myself and the jacket and shirt for Riley (LawnToro) I stopped in today looking for a bolt and ended up with a really nice Lawnboy sign. From what I have been able to research these acrylic signs would have originally been attached hanging from a light fixture which would have illuminated them in a fiber optics manor. I just ended up hanging mine below a florescent light. Works for me! Here's a picture. Bill

Attachments

·
Lawn-Boy Nut
665 Posts
Really neat stuff ... great score !!

Doug

·
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well the Lawnboy sign saga continues. Got a couple of Lawnboy logo window decals from one of our members who had them on eBay. Picked up a couple pieces of 1/8" milky white plexiglass and installed the Lawnboy decals to create a couple of hanging signs. Turned out really nice. First picture is of one of them hanging in front of the florescent light over the work bench. The second picture is of the other hanging on the side of the garage by the walk in door Thanks for the decals Bob! Bill

Attachments

·
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well apparently I need to frequent this hardware/repair shop more often. After scoring the Lawnboy Trash/Cigarette can for myself and the jacket and shirt for Riley (LawnToro) I stopped in today looking for a bolt and ended up with a really nice Lawnboy sign. From what I have been able to research these acrylic signs would have originally been attached hanging from a light fixture which would have illuminated them in a fiber optics manor. I just ended up hanging mine below a florescent light. Works for me! Here's a picture. Bill
I spent a good amount of time today working on a project that I have been wanting to do for some time now. The acrylic Lawnboy sign that I received about a year ago would have originally been part of a light fixture that would have lit the sign in a fiber optic manor. I have seen these complete on eBay and they are pricey. I have wanted to create my own version and today I did just that. I purchased a 36" LED fixture from Menards for about $30.00 to start. Used some .044 white vinyl siding to create an enclosed housing to direct the light and with which to hang the sign from. After a bit of engineering I mounted the new LED fixture with sign under an existing florescent light and wired it in. What a difference in appearance with it being lit from the edge by the LED fixture. The Lawnboy lettering shows up nice and bright white, the script lettering, which appears white when not lit, looks orange, and the clear background , which looks opaque when not lit, looks really clear. I am super happy with this improvement to a sign that I already liked as it was, however it is so much nicer now and is closer to how it would have been new. Old and new pictures for comparison. Bill

Not sure why white vinyl siding looks like woodgrain when back lit. I did nothing to the siding but it looks cool.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts