My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, my dad, who was probably a member of this forum, passed away last March. He was a machinist and cud fix anything. He loved Lawnboys n now I have a shed full of them. Not quite sure y he collected them but he loved working on them n rebuilding them. I'd like to know if someone cud tell me what the best way to get rid of them is. Of course I'd like to get as much money as possible for them. According to my nephew some of them are in full working order and I'm not sure about the rest. Can someone please help me figure out how to find out what their worth n the best way to sell them. I don't live on a busy street so lining them up in my front yard does me no good. So if anyone can help me out with some advice if appreciate it. Thank you, Lisa.

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
Welcome to MTF, Lisa! I'm sorry for the loss of your Dad. I took the precaution of editing out your phone number, and email address. This being an open forum, your information could easily be accessed by anyone outside of this forum. Better safe, than sorry.
We have a Private Message feature whereby any member can communicate with you on a one-to-one basis, so any member who may be interested in a mower, or mowers can send a private message to you through the forum. This eliminates the need for you to post your personal contact information.

I moved your thread to the Lawnboy forum. I'm sure that Lwanboy members could give you ideas as to what your Dad's mowers might be worth. You may then want to post an ad for them in the "For Sale" forum. You may also want to consider Craigslist, and Facebook Marketplace.

Here is the link to the "For Sale" forum:
"For Sale" forum:

I hope this helps. Best of luck in finding them new homes. I'm sure that your Dad would be happy knowing that you are making the effort in finding homes for his Lawnboys.

·
4,203 Posts
Sorry about your father's passing...some good people on here, hopefully someone with knowledge of the demand for them will reach out and help you .....good luck with the effort

·
Super Moderator
28,901 Posts
Lisa, not sure but if this was your fathers site name but here the info for Zeeker who was a longtime members. I'm sorry to hear of his passing and I certainly read many of this posts and admired his work restoring the machines.

·
5,410 Posts
Hi Lisa! I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your father. I am quite a fabricator in my own right but no where near what I had seen your father do. He helped me in the past with sending me a nicely sandblasted toe guard for a Lawnboy I was working on and he always had a positive spin on everything related to keeping the Lawnboys going. He will be greatly missed on this forum. Please feel free to send me a list of mower models and any information you may have about them so I can help you figure out a way to pass them along to folks and make some money at the same time. As mentioned above you can post pictures in the for sale section so we can see what you are dealing with. Bill

Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your extended family.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,886 Posts
So very sorry Lisa. He was a great guy and a valued member here on the forum. It seems like I remember his favorite Lawnboy was his 1972 or 73 model 8229B/C, top belt drive that he bought new and has been a daily driver. I also remember his project building his grandson’s commercial F series self propel. I so enjoyed his ingenuity and sense of humor to. He will definitely be missed.

As far as selling the mowers goes, if you don’t mind packing and shipping them you could list them on eBay. In my opinion that would be the best way to get top dollar. Unfortunately the old Lawnboys that we all love don’t seem to be worth as much as they were a few years ago. The parts have kinda dried up which has kinda reduced the restores and interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all so much for your replies and kind words about my dad. I went and read his posts just so I could hear him talking in my head. If any of you guys ever talked to my dad on the phone or in person you know that he was a very loud, confident and direct kind of guy who used the F word A LOT. Thank you tractortag for taking care of my info. I've never been on a forum before so I don't know the protocal. And when I saw on the one page that it looked like no one read my post or responded to it I started to get really bummed and wondered what I did wrong. Anyway, I looked at my dads posts and I'm scratching my head as to who that person in the bunny costume is. I've never seen that person before. Huh??? Thanks for all the advice on what to do with the mowers. I'm waiting for a nice day and I can get em out of the shed, take pics, and hopefully get my nephew over here to help me figure out which ones run and which ones need what and what I should ask for em. And that's just the little shed, the garage is another story. The man has every machine and tool known to man in there. He had about 50 projects going on at once, including my bike which he took apart (he was probably gonna get the rust off) but now its in pieces and I don't even know where all the pieces are. So I guess I just take on one thing at a time. I've been dealing with the house this past year. And I'll get some pics posted as soon as I can. Oh, and where do I find the Lawnboy forum? And I'm not sure how to use the private message thing either but I'll figure it out. Thanks again. Lisa
mendad.jpg

·
2,453 Posts
Welcome to MTF Lisa. ?

You can find the Lawnboy threads in the Walk Behind Mower forum here: Walk Behind Mowers

If you click on your avatar in the upper right of your screen you can access the private message system (they're called "conversations" here).

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
Lisa, there is no specific "Lawnboy" forum per say. Lawnboy related threads are included with other walk behind brand threads in the "Walk Behind Mowers" section, as Scott mentioned. People starting new threads will "flag" their thread titles by including the brand name in their title, be it "Lawnboy", or other brand.
So for all intents, and purposes, this thread is already in the Lawnboy forum. You did well by including "Lawnboy" in your thread title!

Nice pic of you, and your Dad.
(y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The boy in the rabbit suit is Ralphie from the movie “A Christmas Story”. A true Christmas classic.
Ohhhhhh!!! Duh. It's been 4ever since I watched that movie. I wonder y my dad chose that as his profile pic? Ok, ty 4 clearing that up for me. Lisa

·
Lawn Boy
1,543 Posts
I'm waiting for a nice day and I can get em out of the shed, take pics, and hopefully get my nephew over here to help me figure out which ones run and which ones need what
Just something to keep in mind -- I don't know your nephew's mechanical knowledge so I should probably throw this out there... These mowers require a special gas-oil mixture to run, so if you're going to test-start mowers, make sure you're using that and not straight gas from the pump!

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
Good point! Since these are 2 cycle engines, they rely on a mixture of gas and specialized 2 cycle engine oil for lubrication. The engines will seize if they are run on gas only.

·
Registered
574 Posts
@ZeekersDaughter, so sorry to hear of your Dad’s passing. I’m another Ohio Lawn Boy owner from Tuscarawas County and have seen your Dad’s postings here. But definitely follow the above advice with the fuel. Good luck in finding homes for your Dad's collection. Lawn Boys do have quite a following, so you should be able to move them. Also Facebook Marketplace is a good place to sell. But just like Craigslist and the like, you have to weed out the idiots who promise to be on their way to make a purchase then you never hear from them again.

L8R,
Matt

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your dads passing. He was a regular member on here and was always helpful and had many positive things to contribute. He will be missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just something to keep in mind -- I don't know your nephew's mechanical knowledge so I should probably throw this out there... These mowers require a special gas-oil mixture to run, so if you're going to test-start mowers, make sure you're using that and not straight gas from the pump!
thanks. ur right, i dont know squat about mowers, but i kinda figured since theres like 5 little gas cans sitting around the garage n they all say 50/50 on em. ha ha.

lisa

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to hear about your father's passing. Just from what I see here, he sounded like interesting guy with a passion for the little green lawn mowers. I am in Ohio as well and looking for some specific Lawn Boy mowers. If you could PM me, I can provide details. Thanks.

·
2,453 Posts
Maybe 50:1... in any case it's difficult to ascertain what's actually in the cans at this point and the gas may well be spoiled, so I'd mix up some fresh fuel if you wanna run 'em.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts