My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,064 Posts
Finally got back to the Loafer. Motor is complete, but it's giving me fits. The motor runs (poorly) for a bit, backfires and dies. I have rechecked the point gap, and rechecked the coil gap. Set the points at .016, the coil at .010. I am not sure what else to do at this point. I would like to get some tips, before I do some real damage. Also, what is a good starting point for the carb setting on this mower? Thanks Greg
PS There seems to be an excessive amount of smoke. 16:1 ?
Excessive smoke probably indicates it's running rich. Those D-400 primer plungers are notorious for o-ring failures at the end of that plunger. When that happens it sucks up excess fuel through the primer. When you completely close the main needle and it continues to run, and run rich, it's a pretty good indicator that you have another path for fuel going to the venturi. I also wonder if your float is okay? set properly and not sinking in the fuel?

For the starting setting on those 2 speed carbs, don't quote me, just going from memory, but I think the low speed needle 1 turn out, and the main needle 2 turns out.

·
5,804 Posts
Those are the correct settings per the Lawnboy manual. One turn out for the slow speed needle and 2 turns out for the main needle. I was going to mention about the primer rubber but Rex beat me to it. Also they can look good and still be bad, the same with the floats. Better to be safe and replace both. Bill

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I guess I don't quite understand about the primer. The primer simply pushes air into the car bowl. There is no fuel line or other hose connected to it. It does not rest in fuel. When the return spring brings it back up, it just sits in it's cavity. How can fuel be sucked by the primer? But that's neither here nor there. I decided to replace the points and condenser, even though they were both brand new out of the box. Primed it a few times, spun it with my drill, and it took off. Wasn't the smoothest running motor I ever heard but it was running. High and low speed. No excessive smoke either. I adjusted the carb to Rexs' specs. It ran for almost 10 minutes, sputtered and died. Won't fire up again. I have spark, and fuel.I decided to replace the coil. When In took the cover off the points I was looking around. This set of points does not have a little clip that holds them down. When I look up the part # the clip is listed, but there is none on these points. In fact, the points won't even go on the post far enough to install a clip. Do I have the wrong points? Do not ALL motors use this little clip? I have a clip. I have installed them on other motors, but this post does not stick up far enough. I have the mag plate off the the D 450. It's the same way. There was no clip. There a groove for a clip, but when the points are on, the groove is not exposed. Someday maybe I will learn these motors, but I am beginning to wonder.

·
5,804 Posts
When you depress the primer, fuel is allowed into the lower part of the primer tube. When you release the primer the fuel is lifted into the carb opening. I had read that the clip us not used on all the motors. Bill

Sent from my SM-A115U using MyTractorForum Free App mobile app

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited by Moderator)
OK I had to take a bowl off of a carb and look, but now I understand..

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited by Moderator)
There comes a time when a person finally has to give up. I'm at a loss. I have fuel, compression, and spark. Once in a while it will cough, but that's it. Starting fluid doesn't even help. Won't sputter,. I have replaced points, condenser, plug, and coil. I know that having spark means nothing, if you don't have it at the right time. I guess I have to decide which one of my mowers I want to take a D 400, or D 600 off of, to make this thing go. Trouble is, This motor has a special crank for the drive disc on the bottom. Both motors will have to be opened up, and the cranks swapped. The 5006 runs excellent, but I really like that mower. The 5271 I think is a 600, but that might have to do. Maybe the 5241, I don't remember what's on it. The snowblower? No Bill, ain't gonna be that. All my mowers are out in storage, and to be honest, I don't remember what I have, or what motor is on what.
That's what I had written, and what I was going to post. Then I thought, I have done everything else, why not replace the carb. So I pulled the reed plate and carb. (not easy to do with the motor on the unit) Everything looked excellent, but I changed it any way. I used the carb from the D450. Put my drill to it, and it fired right up. GO FIGURE! Both carbs have been thoroughly cleaned. Both have new needle and seat. both have new floats, gaskets, and everything else I had on hand. So what actually was the problem? I don't know, but it sat here and ran for 45 minutes. It coughed and sputtered at times, but it ran, with no excessive smoke. I took it for a spin. Yes Virginia, it does have reverse! It died, but started right back up. I should have put it on high idle I think. It shifts much easier when the friction disc is spinning. It also runs much smoother on high idle. My thinking is, EVERYONE should have one of these. It's a blast. No brakes, no safety switches. It would be very easy to start in gear. I have to wonder what OSHA would think of this thing today. I finally had to shut it off, and close the garage door, it's getting cold in here!:eek: I just hope it starts tomorrow. If it does, it's on to the D450 from the 4301, but first I have to straighten up my garage. Right now I'm sitting here celebrating with a beer. 😊

·
5,804 Posts
That is great news! So did you ever replace the primer in the original carb? I had a D-400 series on my edger that acted just like yours. Smoked bad. Popped and sputtered. Never would come up to speed. Primer looked okay visually but must have been drawing fuel up past the seal. New primer and it worked perfectly and still does. I know Perry (XR55) has a Loafer and delights in driving it around his addition to the astonishment of the neighbors. Bill

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
No I didn't. To be honest I don't have any, and I cannot find where they are available. Are you talking about part # 604288? When I look in the carb and push the primer, I can see a good amount of fuel being pumped in. Now, It won't start. Won't even pop or sputter. I switched to cleaning up my garage. I had to get away from it for a while. I will try again tomorrow, and drive myself nuts, all over again.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
I'm really confused. I took the plug out to check for spark. Got spark. I sprayed the plug with carb cleaner, ran some fine sand paper through it, stuck it back in, started right up. It's running right now. I am beginning to wonder if that needle valve adjustment is staying where I put it. It seems to move very easy. I am gonna watch it this time. I am sure it's a fuel issue, just not sure what the issue is. Edit...It sputtered and died. I had the foam filter out and the cover off of the filter box. The box and carb are full of fuel. I think maye it's loading up, but it's not smoking as though it were. Guess I need to find some of these rubber washers, and see if that helps.

·
5,804 Posts

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited by Moderator)
When the mower died the last time, that was it. Would not restart. Not a pop or sputter. Nothing. Long story short, I dug through my parts and found another coil. Installed it, spun it, and it fired up and ran like a top. I set it outside yesterday, and went out occasionally, to start it. Popped off every time. and runs well. With (hopefully) success at hand I moved on to the D 450 from the 4301, Assembled it (another saga for another time) and put it on the mower. It wants to run, it really tries. It will sort of sputter for 10 seconds, and then die, I'm not going to fight it like I did the 400. This is one of 2 coils I had on the 400. I am waiting on a new coil. I ordered one from ebay. I haven't had very good luck with $20 ebay coils, but I may as well try. In the meantime I am on the hunt for 400 - 600 style coils. If you have an extra you are willing to part with, I would gladly buy it.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited by Moderator)
A quick update. The D400 motor on the 9212 starts instantly, and runs great. I still believe the old points style ignition is better than the new-fangled electronic. The entire motor on this unit can be removed with the release of a couple of clips. Which is a good thing, as there is a problem with the pull start. I am going to have to take it off and check it out. The D451 on the 4301 will start and run for a few seconds, but dies. I am waiting on a new coil.
I got the new decal sets for both units, but they are not quite right. The lettering is the wrong color. If it's all that is available, I guess I will have to use it.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
First time anyone has mentioned that. Condensers I have. May try that tomorrow. Thanks

21 - 34 of 34 Posts