My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, along with the three Lawnboys that a nice fellow delivered to me this morning also came a Lawnboy Leaf Mulcher Pulverator. Now mind you I have seen the leaf mulcher kits and have actually had a few that I picked up on close out at a hardware store and passed along to several members, however this is one I have not seen before. Looking for information as to the age and whether it is complete or not. Is is painted gold so my guess is it goes back to the 60's era. Any and all information on this will be appreciated. Funny thing is that it was sold by a hardware store in Davenport on West Locust Street, a store I have never heard of, and the building no longer exists. Bill

·
Registered
295 Posts
Bill,I don't have any info for you on this,but I was just wondering how well these mulch leaves.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Bill,I don't have any info for you on this,but I was just wondering how well these mulch leaves.
I have one and it is absolute garbage. It clogs up even with dry leaves and isn't worth it at all. A side bagger with a leaf bag is much better.

·
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's unfortunate as I like the idea but the execution isnt good. I have no idea if the older leaf shredder is better but the later ones are no bueno.
Thanks for the replies and your take on whether the leaf shredders are worth having. Myself, I just bag and the blade chops them up smaller than if you raked them. Never have tried the shredder. With that being said, the original question was to try to identify how old this might be. If possible, please try to keep the replies along the lines of identifying the age of the shredder pictured and not a discussion on how well they work, otherwise we will get off track and I wont get my question answered. Thanks! Bill

·
Registered
232 Posts
Bill, my leaf shredder is curved and was one of the accessories that came with my 1995 10545 that I bought off the original owner. I'm a 90s lawn boy guy so that's the era I know well but based off the decals on your box it looks late 60s-mid 70s to me.

·
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Bill, my leaf shredder is curved and was one of the accessories that came with my 1995 10545 that I bought off the original owner. I'm a 90s lawn boy guy so that's the era I know well but based off the decals on your box it looks late 60s-mid 70s to me.
I did some research for Harry Jacobs Hardware and did find an old news article from 1961 referencing the hardware store and it's location so the early 60's timeline could fit along with the fact that it is painted gold, the same as Lawnboy mowers from the late 50's and early 60's. Perhaps Bill (oldlawnboy), having been in the business for many years will read this and offer an opinion. Bill

Also I was looking at the Lawnboy picture thread and I don't see where any of the gold Lawnboys had the ability to side bag. So it appears that 1962 was the first year that offered side bagging. Maybe Lawnboy was using up leftover gold paint from the '58 to '61 mowers when they painted the shredder.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
snapper has a gizmo attachment like this . never tried one as the snapper mulches leafs awesome as is. still would like to try it.

·
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Okay while still looking for images of the old Lawnboy leaf shredder I ran across a listing on eBay and now I have my answer. This leaf shredder pulverator is model L7282, part number 677543, and was used on models 7100X, 7100, 8100, 7200, 8200, 7210, and 8210. This would put it in the late 50's green/autumn rust and gold/off white mower era. His pictures look just like mine. If someone has one of these models handy can you figure out how and where this might have been installed. Bill

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Bill, Lawn-Boy made these to fit all models of this era mowers. They did tend to choke up, but did aa good job of mulching even when choked up. See attached sheet showing different ones for different models. Bill

Attachments

·
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bill! Thanks for posting that sales sheet information. The sheet does show this model and the picture shows how it would have been mounted. From what I can tell, the one I have does not appear to have been used. Gold paint is all there and mulcher is very clean. Perhaps someone on the Forum will read this and will want to have this accessory to go with their mower from that era for display. If so, send me a PM. Bill

·
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Now after re reading old lawnboy's post with the accessory sheet I am still not 100% sure what I have. The one on eBay has a tag on it with the model and part number which is where I got the numbers, figuring that it was the same as mine however since there are more than a few of these listed for mowers of this era and mine did not have a tag I am not sure how to make sure of the correct number. The search continues. Bill

Okay I went and looked the box over again real well and I did find the original numbers on the box although very faint. Mine is an L5262, part number 677542. Hopefully old lawnboy (Bill) will see this update and perhaps can find the information that tells what models the 677542 would have been used on.

·
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A little more information on cross reference of part and kit numbers and models they fit
Bill. Thanks for those additional pictures of the cross reference charts. So the one I have was made to fit 5210, 6210, 5200, 6200, 5100, 6100, and 5100X. Bill

PA318Guy. Thanks for sharing those old magazine links. Love those old ads.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I am not sure when they quit making the mulcher that had the expanded metal that bolted under the deck but I have one in the box that says it fits 21 inch 1964 and later models except for the commercial model mower. It could be used with bagger of catcher hole cover plate. I suspect it was discontinued when the mulching plate with the lip to block off the discharge came out. It did not fit earlier catcher mowers due to needing the bolt hole on the front end of the cover plate that the ear bolt goes in that earlier models did not have. They had a spring clip that locked the plate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts