My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working up to messing with my 8416 and starting with an old 7351 except I am stuck trying to get the flywheel off. I have tried hitting it with a rubber mallet on the sides to no effect. I do not see a place to screw in the steering wheel puller and I have read that a two jaw puller will crack it in half. Any suggestions. Thanks.

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Tap the top of the flywheel on one of the thick fins, towards the outside edge. I think a steel or copper hammer would work better as they deliever a much sharper blow, even with a lighter tap.

I've pulled a number of them off that way and not had an issue, just a few light taps while pulling up on it with my hand and they just pop right loose. Not to say that it's not stuck on there harder than normal...

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
For stubborn flywheels I spray some pb blaster into the threads as good as possible...let it penetrate for a few hours and then while whacking the top of the threaded shaft..lift on the flywheel with your hand (try to get your fingers under it the best you can and push). It will give.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tapped on the center flywheel nut and pulled on the bottom while picking up the motor and it came right off. Piston is gubbered on two sides. Looks like it was ran without any oil. (it only had about 30 compression so no surprise) Can i bore this thing and put oversized piston in it or is the whole motor shot?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
if there isnt any gouges on the cylinder wall, i'd just light hone&put stock size piston,rings,etc...

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
No oversizing. A good hone job with a fresh piston and rings ought to get you back in business.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts