My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator and over 6K Posts!
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys I wanted to share this repair that I did on an early F series carb air filter hinge. When I received the mower it had the early air filter cover with the hole to accommodate the hitch pin
Green Bag Grass Gadget Personal protective equipment
Green Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Vehicle
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Gas
Green Motor vehicle Gas Machine Grass

clip which was a factory change to help keep the filter cover from falling off. However on the hinge side the slot for the filter to fit into had been broken off the carb air filter box so a screw was installed to hold the hinge side on. That would work okay until you wanted to change or clean the filter so this is what I came up with. The later F series used a wire bail clip to hold the filter cover on after snapping it closed. I had a number of these and decided I would try to adapt the wire clip to hold the hinge side in place. After some careful measuring, wire bending, and a couple of small holes drilled for the wire clip I slipped the filter cover in place, swung it closed, and installed the factory hitch pin. Worked like a charm. Now I can swing the cover open and remove the filter for cleaning or slide the cover completely off if needed. Hope the pictures do the modification justice. Bill

·
Lawn-Boy Nut
725 Posts
Nice job Bill ... had to go out in my garage and look at my 2 mid-80's "F" mowers to see exactly what the issue actually was.

So, I take it the plastic hoop (still intact on my 2) breaks off.

Both mine have the wire bale on the opposite end of the air box ... so you now have wire bales on both ends ??

Doug

·
Super Moderator and over 6K Posts!
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The late 1980 and newer used the wire clip that was hinged through 2 holes in the air box. Earlier 1980 F series used a filter cover with a hole to accommodate a hitch pin clip to secure the cover more completely than the friction lock. 1978 and 1979 had no hitch pin and no wire bail. There was a service bulletin regarding drilling a hole and installing the hitch pin clip on early models that had none. Bill

·
2 strokes forever!
515 Posts
Excellent work Bill!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts