My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this 1985 8239AE SP, electric start at an estate sale a couple weeks ago now I guess. The recoil pulley was bad so I got a good one from Toby in Eureka, KS. That's installed and working properly.

I had the carb off and cleaned the bowl out. It had gross milky white smelly old gas in it.

I cleaned the points and the spark plug.

There is no battery but I had the key tirned on for power.

I've got no spark.

The paint is peeling from the deck, but under the shroud it basically looks unused. I'd hate to think it's got a bad coil. I broke one flathead screwdriver trying to get the coil off.

Any other thoughts? Does it need a battery installed even to pull-start?

It's the one here on the right:

Do either of the next two use the same coil? The heads and carb/air cleaners looks the same to me:

Cheers,
Coop.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Yes coop, those other two lawnboys would use the same coil as the 8239, you just have to make sure if the coil for the 8239 is ground to run or not. For example, if you swap a coil on your 8239, you may need to put the switch to "off" to get spark.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FANTASTIC!!

We have spark! I took the coil off the 5126, cleaned it, put it on the 8239AE, reasembled, turned the key on, and primed. I didn't even get a full pull on the cord and she fired right up!!

I am one happy guy! I'm sure to really like this machine!!

I'm glad I picked up the 5126 now regardless that it's probably one of the ugliest lawnboys ever produced and the fact the deck is toast. The commercial above is leaking fuel from somewhere, so parhaps the 5126 will again serve as a parts machine for that too. As it is, the (white) fuel cap should fit the comm.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm curious what this machine would've retailed for when it was new?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm, is it just me, or is the self-propell very slow on these? And regarding the mechanism, about 3-4" up the bar from the wheel hight mechanism, there is a sight turning the end downward.

There's no kink in the bend, leading me to think it's made this way, but I'm not sure.

Should it be bent, or perfectly straight?

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
It should be bent like that. All the ones I have are the same way.

As far as the self propel speed, mine are all just the right speed for me. Could be your engine is running a little slow...

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I do have it on the slow/normal setting. And I didn't have the drive-handle locked forward (I was worried about that bend, but as long as it's sposed to be there...) Though I have no point of reference, the engine doesn't seem slow, quiet yes, but not slow. I have just a little bit of 50:1 in it right now just to get it going, but I'm mixing some 32:1 as soon as I go back outside

It's not extremely slow I guess, just a bit slower than my regular walking speed/push-mowing speed.

Why can't I find any other reference to this model number, even on the Lawnboy site, Toro site, or if I recall correctly, the part-tree site?

Any thoughts on the original retail price on one of these in 1985?

Or perhaps, what a similar machine would cost today? I know the 6hp Murray 3in1 that we have, which isn't worth a piece of crap, was nearly $300.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, what can I say? OMG!!! I think this mower just made the tractor obsolete.

Got the proper gas/oil mix in her now. By the 2nd trip around the yard the RPMs climbed and the operation got as smooth as silk. In slow mode, the self-propelled locked in this time gave me quite a workout!

What a beautiful machine!!! Not bad for less than $10.00, a ~$20 recoil pulley and a salvaged coil from a free, otherwise POS machine.

Just needs a coat of paint on the deck...and maybe a yellow shroud :)

I feel like the luckiest guy in the world.
Coop

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
I always leave mine on the fast speed. I don't know why they even made a speed adjustment on these things. I mulch with mine, so slow speed would be worthless anyway.

That is a good mower though. I have an 8237 that's basically the same thing as yours without the electric start.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Yep, my stepdad has one of those, they run nice and smooth with some serious power to boot! The capstan self propel is also a very nice system to use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts