My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I found this on the weekend at a garage sale and managed to get the person to give it to me. It is totally seized. I think it is a 5262 - there is a silver medalion that is pretty worn on the top side of the rear deck section that says (I think) 5262. Can someone please help me with identification/year etc. I am in Ontario Canada if that helps. The internet has no pictures I can find like this...
I really like the fact that it weighs virtually nothing and its a 2 stroke (?), so I am going to restore it as I am a pretty handy guy. I think it will go nice with my 80's Toro GTS2 commercial walk behind :). :thanku:

Cheers,
Cardamonfrost

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sweet find! I'm not the best at identifying the older units, but that is what you'll see referred to as a "bricktop". I'm thinking it has either a C or D engine and probably a Magnesium deck. Very desireable!

I have a newer lightweight push Lawnboy and I love it!

Welcome to the forum!

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
Valkomen!

The engine is a D-400. Nice one too because it has dual bronze bushings in the lower shaft. This engine more than likely unless it was switched had 16:1 oil/fuel ratio. It was easy to seize these with straight gas because they were so dependent on oil.

Looks to be vintage 1964-69ish.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys, It does seem to be a Mag deck. Wowweee, 16:1 lol, thats pretty rich! Im not concerned about the seizing, its only single cylinder... I imagine that there is no real damage in the engine, it just sat for a long long time (im hoping). I am happy to hear that everyone thinks it is a mid 60's, I like older stuff :). Is there a better way to narrow down the year? Is there a good source for parts or just keep buying them till you get what you need... I notice that most of you guys have like 10 of them... seems to be fairly addictive this walk behind game, hope I dont end up with a garage full of them!:hide:

Thanks for all the help, I hope if anyone can think of some more stuff about this model, please post it! Ill keep you updated as the restoration humms along. I hope to start disassembly this weekend.

Cheers,
C

·
Registered
175 Posts
...I notice that most of you guys have like 10 of them... seems to be fairly addictive this walk behind game, hope I dont end up with a garage full of them...
Yeah, good luck with that! :ROF

I bought my first one this spring. My signature list speaks for itself, and it isn't even a complete list!

Anyway, make sure you post pictures of your progress!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Yeah, good luck with that! :ROF

I bought my first one this spring. My signature list speaks for itself, and it isn't even a complete list!

Anyway, make sure you post pictures of your progress!
ditto

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Welcome to the forum! That is one nice looking Bricktop you got there and hopefully the piston is only stuck because it sat for a few years. It shouldn't be too hard to get going once you start working on it. Good luck!

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
So, if you want to be real sure what it is, ship it down to me. I'll take a look at her and let you know for sure. :D

·
Lawnboy Green
633 Posts
Hit it with penetrating oil through the plug hole and carb intake and let it sit out in the sun for a couple of hours while you clean out the tank and carb. The rings have probably rusted to the liner. Keep hitting it with spray while your turning over by hand until smooth. Spinning the crank by the blade should help save the recoil. Should have it running by dinner time! Nice find.

Best wishes,
Bob

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Nice find there! I bought my first one about a year ago and i cant stop (after 35 or so later) here i am! LOL Hope you can get er running and mowing!

·
2- Stroke Lawnboy Fan!!!
559 Posts
:MTF_wel2: thats one nice gargae sale find you got their !:thThumbsU btw, where abouts are you in ontario?

·
Lawn-Boys and VW's
1,839 Posts
Thats a cool find and it looks like a 2 speed 400 too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alrighty Guys, here are som new photos of my Dissassembly. All in all it went pretty good, I think I am going to a significant problem though. The first pic just shows the gas (or at least what was in the gas tank), here I got lucky as I think that the goo blocked the petcock and stopped any of it from getting into the carb. The tank is now clean and ready once I find a replacement petcock which was unsalvagable.

The second pic is one of the ignition and this is where the real problem is... the coil is completely disintergrated. I imagine that it will not work. There does not seem to be a source for them :(. I am thinking about trying to make one unless someone has a better idea?

The third shows the piston firmly seized to the head. I already have it disconnected and filled with oil trying to free it up. I hope that I can tap it out with minimal force and not ruin the piston/rings... Not sure I have never done this before!

I have detailed pics of the whole process, if you want to see a differnt pic for your reference, please let me know! As well if you have any info that can make sourcing parts for this old beast any easier, please let me know.

Attachments

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,074 Posts
"The second pic is one of the ignition and this is where the real problem is... the coil is completely disintergrated. I imagine that it will not work. There does not seem to be a source for them"

Try your local NAPA Auto parts store for a new one or most likely several people here have used ones they will part with.

You can remove the reed plate and remove the connecting rod cap then the seized piston and cylinder jug will separate from the crankcase so you can deal with it better.

Weighs a little over 40 lbs. and the raised letters "Magnesium" will appear on the deck under the air cleaner.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I tore one of these engines apart recently too. I think I already mentioned it. Stuck piston. Will not unsticky. Dented the top of the piston pretty good I guess tapping it with a BFH and ratchet extension through spark plug hole after soaking in PB Blaster. Mine showed evidense of rust too, but the reed valves looked otherwise brand new. No go unfortunately.

The plug wire on mine pulled right away from the coil.

Good luck with yours,

Coop

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,074 Posts
IF it is rust, remove the piston and jug as I described above and submerge them in a covered bucket of kerosene for a month. IF seized by metal transfer (more likely) then you might as well just pound the piston out. IF jug is scored, you MAY be able to hone it, D400 is the only LB that I am aware of, that you can/could still get over sized piston and rings for.

Walt Conner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts