My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm super into old lawn boy mowers. I bought my first one from a guy for 60$ the other day and decided to attempt rebuilding the carb. It looked like maybe it was rebuilt recently or just not used because the jets and screen were very clean so I probably didn't have to do it, but I wanted to learn something. I got everything back together and it sounds different. It sounds like something is vibrating and loose. It is smoking from the bottom of the mower quite a bit and it wasn't before. It seemed to run much smoother before.

I am thinking it could be a few things, I washed the tank out with water and spray nine, and rinsed it out until the water ran clean, then let it dry for a few hours in the sun. It's possible it didn't completely dry out. If it didn't I would think there are only a few droplets in there. It looked really dry when I put gas in it. Would that make it smoke badly from under the deck?

Another thing was the air filter. I put a new one in and instead of using SAE-30W motor oil to oil it I used SAE-20 or something like that. Is it possibly sucking in the oil and running weird?

Last thing I can think of is when I cleaned the jets, I poked a bit of solder through it because that was all that would fit. I washed it out later with brakleen and high pressure water and let dry overnight, but maybe its possible a piece of solder got stuck in one of the jets. I looked through them all and they looked really clean so I think I would've seen anything if a piece fell off inside.

Are any of these things likely to be my problem or is there something else I'm not considering? I'd like to get it running to mow my lawn with it. I have a few videos of it running before the rebuild and after the rebuild if you'd like to see that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I might be completely wrong here, but from what I've read up on the V series engines,some are notorious for shaking/vibrating themselves loose. As a precaution, I'd check every bolt and use loctite if possible.

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,941 Posts
I don't think the oil type on the filter would cause the issue unless you had the filter soaked in oil. Usually a number of drops and then work into the filter. When you had the carb apart did you change setting on the governor by any chance. Almost sounds like it is running slower than the first video. Do you have a tach to check the RPM's? This may be all that is wrong. Bill

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think the oil type on the filter would cause the issue unless you had the filter soaked in oil. Usually a number of drops and then work into the filter. When you had the carb apart did you change setting on the governor by any chance. Almost sounds like it is running slower than the first video. Do you have a tach to check the RPM's? This may be all that is wrong. Bill
What is the governor? The filter was kinda soaked in oil, but i squeezed it and rang it out good before installing it. It did sound slower in the first vid on the grass but the other ones it sounds like it got better. It still smokes though which is my biggest concern. I don't want to cause engine damage. I have a feeling there was still some water droplets in the tank.

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,941 Posts
The governor is the air vane, round adjusting collar, and governor spring which open and closes the throttle. If for some reason you had that all apart and didn't get the round collar reset correctly the mower may be running slower. If you didn't take the air vane out then that is probably not the issue. Still worth checking the RPM. Bill

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using MyTractorForum Free App mobile app

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The governor is the air vane, round adjusting collar, and governor spring which open and closes the throttle. If for some reason you had that all apart and didn't get the round collar reset correctly the mower may be running slower. If you didn't take the air vane out then that is probably not the issue. Still worth checking the RPM. Bill

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using MyTractorForum Free App mobile app
I didn't take the vane apart, I'll give the RPM a check, but what would the smoking be from?

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,941 Posts
Could be some excess oil in the filter or as you said if there was a bit of moisture in there that is burning off. Bill

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,941 Posts
I would not think there would be a issue with either. Bill

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would not think there would be a issue with either. Bill
I took it all apart again, and I was wondering if water could've gotten in the muffler. I sprayed the base of the engine with my garden hose so is there a hole that goes down into the muffler? If so would the water have already fallen out of the muffler?

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,941 Posts
When I wash the underside of my mowers I am sure some water gets in the muffler hole. I have never had so much get in there that caused any smoking. Once the mower is run and gets hot any little residual water that would have gotten in there should evaporate. Not sure if the V mufflers have a weep hole in the bottom or not. Bill

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I wash the underside of my mowers I am sure some water gets in the muffler hole. I have never had so much get in there that caused any smoking. Once the mower is run and gets hot any little residual water that would have gotten in there should evaporate. Not sure if the V mufflers have a weep hole in the bottom or not. Bill
I might just take it off anyway. I sprayed the base of the engine on top of the deck, and it looks like there is a hole that goes down into the muffler but I could be wrong. I am trying to rule out as much stuff as I can. That’s the last thing I can really think of. I’m letting the tank sit in the sun empty and hopefully any residual water/gas Will evaporate. The carb and jets are also sitting in sun too, so if there was anything in there it will evaporate. And the air filter I’m going to wash and start over so it isn’t soaked in oil.
What kind of oil do you lubricate your filters with?

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,941 Posts
I just use regular automotive oil, probably some 10W-40 I have left. Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts