My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
What you wanting to know exactly? It's a Tecumseh 4 cycle rated at 6hp(I believe?), never worked on one. ALL LawnBoys must be of the 2 cycle kind in order to be considered worthy of my stable. Just my preference. Too many other nice 4 cycle mowers to consider over a LawnBoy IMO.

·
Registered
275 Posts
4.5HP RWD self propelled. steel deck. I have came across a couple. I used one regularly to trim a 2 acre lot. They are ok mowers. I used the **** out of mine before I sold it, and it still ran great.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,101 Posts
"ALL LawnBoys must be of the 2 cycle kind in order to be considered worthy of my stable."

Those are the only REAL LBs to my thinking.

Walt Conner

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
Anyone know anything on this mower, I'll get pics up later.
Lawnboy 10302 silver series 4 cycle
It's very similar to my 10330. The engine should be a Tecumseh LEV-100 4.5 hp engine. Don't let the 2-cycle guys make ya feel bad: at least half of the Lawn-Boy experience is the staggered-wheel deck, light weight, maneuverability, etc. The engine alone isn't the mower.

Mine was dead when I found it, so I swapped a different engine onto it. If yours runs good, I'd clean it up and run the heck out of it. That engine will probably run forever, as long as you keep fresh fuel and oil in it.

:wwp:

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Wasn't trying to make him feel bad, just let him know what he may be missing when using a LawnBoy without a 2 cycle engine. Just can't beat the power/weight ratio when comparing the two.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just can't beat the power/weight ratio when comparing the two.
While a Duraforce does beat the TVS115 on the 10302, the Tecumseh LEV120 Toro used on some Recyclers beats the Duraforce, 18.75 lbs vs. 22 lbs, 6HP vs. 6.5HP, ratio Techumseh 3.13 to Duraforce 3.38. The later Recycler's had 6.5HP LEV120's making the ratio even better, 2.88. The TVS120 on the LB 10305 also beats the Duraforce. Also the Duraforce loses to 4-cycles on torque but then power/torque lose to "staggered-wheel deck, light weight, maneuverability, etc." In the end a 4-cycle Lawnboy isn't a REAL Lawnboy -- it's a green Toro.

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
Lawn-Boy's been putting 4-cycles on their decks long before Toro bought them. Check out, for instance a 1983 model 0295. It came with what we now know as the B&S "Classic" engine.

More about the 10302: it was made from 1994 through 1997. It's essentially the exact same as the 10330; I'm not sure why they changed model numbers. Steel deck, single speed self-propelled, Tecumseh 4-cycle engine, etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the Lawnboy, I bought it from a neighbor for $5.00 it needed a new rope, it runs fine.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Lawn-Boy fan
256 Posts
That's a fine machine. I like those Techumeh engines. They have always been easy to start and reliable from my own experience. I bought one exactly like the one you have from someone and he used the heck out of it. The back wheels were completely bald. I've never seen wheels so bald.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I am mowing on an incline it tends to hang on the right front when going up or down, is there an adjustment to fix that? I hate scraping my lawn! The only thing I can think to do is to raise the right off set wheel.

Also the self propel doesn't work great, I took off the cover and the drive belt seems loose or worn, when I pick it up off the ground the wheels turn so I guess I need a new belt. any numbers for the belt and do I fish the new belt over the blade then on the pully.. I'm new to LB.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
256 Posts
Follow the self-propelled cable to see if there is an adjustment to tighted up the belt. I know that one of my Lawn-Boys you can do that with (I just did it over the weekend), but I am not positive with your model.

It sounds like you may be digging the deck into your lawn on a steep grade. Is this the case? It might just be a limitation of the design. I have a steep hill in my yard and haven't personally experienced this. Maybe put the mower on your driveway or other flat surface and measure all 4 corners of the deck to see the side where the off-set wheel is isn't too low. If all 4 wheels are set to the same level, it shouldn't dig into the ground on hills.

EDIT: I was just looking at your picture. Your drive cable adjusts differently than the one I did over the weekend. I think if you look at the plastic piece at the top left hand side of the handle where the cable goes through (up by the self-propelled bail lever), there should be about a 1/2 bolt holding that plastic clamp thing. If you loosen that, I think you can slide the cable up or down to adjust how much the belt is pulled.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Front corner at the discharge chute looks bent down to me. Have seen many that way, support that corner and put some of your weight on it, bringing that section forward of the chute back up, they can get bent down from running into things.

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
The front wheels also seem set REAL low, like at their lowest setting or just one up maybe. I do agree with hankthecrank that the right front area looks to be bent down.

Nice mower, and nice price. That'll run a long time for you. You'll appreciate the maneuverability of the Lawn-Boy compared with your other machine I think.

When I found my 10330, the self-propel cable was so out of adjustment that the mower didn't move. So yes, you can adjust that cable. I don't remember if the adjustment is at the top or the bottom. I can look on mine when I get home. Mine pulls the transmission back with the large coil spring, just like yours, so the adjustment method should be the same.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I changed the oil with Castrol Syntec 10-30 then sc***** off all the moldy grass out from the deck and scrubbed it down.

I'm thinking of taking the engine of the ******** and putting it on my Ariens deck, since I busted the cam on the Airens last year.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
That's a great deal and find for 5 bucks! I had a similar model that was in mint condition. Sold it. I regret it sometimes. They are nice mowers, only as long as you take care of them, as goes for any mower. As Jason said, the engine is not the only part that makes a Lawnboy. The deck and so forth have to be considered as well.

Thanks for the pictures and again, that's a great find!

·
Collector Of Junk!
233 Posts
It was defiantly worth $5 bucks! I don't have any 4 cycle LBs but I have worked on a few. I would consider them over a cheaper mower any day! As long as it has staggered wheel deck then I personally would keep it. Now if it was a new one like they sell now then no it would be sold! They are just Toros painted green.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts