My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For many years I, would pull the deck off to remove the blades and clean the deck. Lately I, have been thinking about getting one of those tractor jacks. They look like it would make removeing blades and cleaning the under the deck easyer, Do any of you guys use them, and what do you think about them. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Quite a few threads on the mower jacks, this is one of the more recent:

I have the MoJack MJ750XL for my 900 pound Cub Cadet XT3 GSX with 48 inch fabricated deck that I paid around $400 for off Amazon. Makes changing blades much quicker than removing the deck. I never have to clean the underside of the deck because I mulch mow only when the grass is dry and the high sand content of my soil which sandblasts everything inside the deck.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
For many years I, would pull the deck off to remove the blades and clean the deck.
I find it easier to pull the deck and flip it over than to crawl under and have wet grass falling on my face. Also it seems whenever I am stuck in such a tight uncompromising position is when I get attacked by mosquitos of get a Charlie-horse.

I've looked at those jacks and they all have a bulky base that prevents you from using a creeper. You would need a thick pad to lay on so that it doesn't jab you in the back.

If you are intent on getting a jack, there are many, many threads that discuss them.

·
Super Moderator
11,478 Posts
I just use a regular floor jack to get the tractor up in the air a bit...then I use good quality jack stands if I have to work under it....other than that I agree with @LLigetfa ...dropping the deck to get the blades off and grease just winds up being more efficient for me

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
I installed a leaf spring U-bolt on the front of my Craftsman so that I can hoist it up with a come-along.

After that I started removing the deck and would set it on a pair of sawhorses to work on it. I found that laborious, and so made up a deck attachment for my P-handle dolly that carries, flips, and elevates the deck to a comfortable height.

I have since solved this problem by buying a mower that is easy to service. I very much prefer to work upright hence why I drive it up a service ramp.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've got one of the HF mower jacks. It's basically a tall screw jack with an extended base and a cradle for the front wheels. If you're thinking about getting one do yourself a favor and choose one with a hydraulic jack. Both versions take up a significant amount of floor space, in use or stored, but the hydraulic ones should be much better in practice.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
I dunno, the MJ750XT is a screw type jack and don't have problems with it. It resides outside on a relatively flat area of grass next to the work shed. Using a ⅜ inch impact wrench, it raises and lowers quickly.

·
Super Moderator
11,478 Posts
I installed a leaf spring U-bolt on the front of my Craftsman so that I can hoist it up with a come-along.

View attachment 2502637

After that I started removing the deck and would set it on a pair of sawhorses to work on it. I found that laborious, and so made up a deck attachment for my P-handle dolly that carries, flips, and elevates the deck to a comfortable height.

I have since solved this problem by buying a mower that is easy to service. I very much prefer to work upright hence why I drive it up a service ramp.

View attachment 2502636
I like your pile of fire wood! (y)...looks like it stays dry in there

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts

View attachment 2502637

View attachment 2502636
You might be spoiled!

Does the Husqy articulate?

CCMoe

·
Kioti SCUT
598 Posts
For many years I, would pull the deck off to remove the blades and clean the deck. Lately I, have been thinking about getting one of those tractor jacks. They look like it would make removeing blades and cleaning the under the deck easyer, Do any of you guys use them, and what do you think about them. Thanks
I bought one, and used it once. It's been in my shed ever since.

I like to do other deck service at the same time, and the jack just didn't work that well. I take a putty knife and scrape out the deck. It's easy with the deck standing free, but with the jack all the crud fell back into my face. If I try to spay under the deck with the jack, the no-stick spray just drips down on me.

I have to grease the zerks on 3 spindles. I can't reach the center zerk unless I remove the deck. There's just no way with the mower jack.

I brace the blades with a block of wood so that I can torque them properly. Easy with the deck pulled. Hard to do with the jack.

They may work for some, but not for me. Cal

Reactions: MARK (LI)

·
Registered
857 Posts
I just use a floor jack to hook up or remove the deck. There's no way for me to clean the deck while it is mounted on the tractor. I take it off after every mowing and leave it off until the next mowing so I have the tractor available for other things if needed.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I got one from harbor freight some years back. I think you can get them for 79 bucks with a coupon. The work great. for up to 300 lbs.
Probably not as nice as something like Mojack, but I use it about three or four times a year and it is all I need.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I bought a 550 pound capacity CC jack on sale at Tractor Supply. I like it because I hate yanking around on that deck to remove for blade sharpening. Plus, it is a little easier for me to get at some grease fittings.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
if its one of those jack like Tractor Supply sells or others with the single up right and the long pipe handle, make sure they are oiled and that you hear of seen the pin snap in the hole and hang on to the jack with the other had, if they are not latched and in the neutral position it will come down very fast, hang on to it and for sure the handle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if its one of those jack like Tractor Supply sells or others with the single up right and the long pipe handle, make sure they are oiled and that you hear of seen the pin snap in the hole and hang on to the jack with the other had, if they are not latched and in the neutral position it will come down very fast, hang on to it and for sure the handle.
Do you have any recomendations for a jack.

·
Registered
22 Posts
No when I do use one I have the old style bumper Jacks, can find the at yard sales, they are like the but does not have that fall section High Lift Jack, I do mower repairs at home, have the lift table and two electric winches from Harbor Freight.cut dry grass and you won't have to clean the deck sill the end of the year for storage.

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
Reactions: Dixon Driver
1 - 20 of 34 Posts