My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SugarTyres
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about picking up a 46" Agri-Fab pull behind lawn sweeper to pick up grass clippings. I don't have any experience with lawn sweepers. Do they do well at picking up clippings, or am I just setting myself up for dissapointment?

Thanks

·
Jack of All Trades
1,337 Posts
Someone in my family has always had one of these as long as I can remember, which is at least 35 years back. Usually a Sears brand. Agri-Fab made a lot of them for Sears, but I think the Agri branded ones will stand up a little better. I have 2 of the Sears ones and they do great when new. Get a few years on them and they don't do as good of job due to the brushes wearing (no fault of Sears) Also, the wheels dont turn as good as they used to. (I am referring to the sweeper wheels, not the ones in my head) I am sure if I took time to pull them apart, clean the gears and re lube they would work much better. Would I recommend one to a friend. Yep. If you have fences, last thing to do before sweeping is make a couple passes mowing blowing the clippings away from the fence. I guess thats the only draw back. You have to mow everything first, then come back and sweep it. Also, if the grass is thick with a lot of clippings, and/or wet, you may have to make a couple passes to get most of it.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have a ohio steel 50 inch sweeper and it does a very good job with the grass and leafs. Mow first and then sweep.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I would also look at the Agri-Fab Smart Sweeper. slkpk

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,096 Posts
I have a JD 42" sweeper. It replaces a line of worn out JD and Parkers. The bottom line in my experience is these implements take a pounding on my lawn. They work well, but the wear hard too. I do not have a carpet smooth lawn, I do not hit rocks, but I do hit Maple roots that are surfaced. I also back off the lawn into the woods to do my dumping. I've got 8-10 years from each sweeper I've owned. Brushes are easy to replace, but when you start replacing drive chain and/or gears you can easily spend as much on parts as a replacement sweeper.

In my experience, you can extend the life, and effectiveness of a sweeper with a few easy steps:
1. Run fast enough for effective sweeping and throw into the hopper, but not so fast as to beat your sweeper to death on immovable objects, like roots.
2. Don't let the dump line slip and get swept up and wrapped around the brushes
3. Clean it with something like an leaf blower regularly
4. Lubricate the wheels, gears/chain, axles
5. Be careful backing it up, typically the fabric of the hopper is not the strong point of your sweeper.
6. If at all possible, store it under cover, many of them have collapsible hopper to make them fit better in a garage of shed.

Ok, so all that sounds like common sense, and I don't doubt you have it, but if you start to look at used ones, you will quickly discover not everyone does.

I use mine for grass and the early leaf work. Once the leaves get serious, like right about now in mid-October, I switch over to a Trac-Vac as much for the volume the trailer holds as for the effectiveness of the pick-up.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
They work great on grass clippings.I have a 48'' Sears Craftman made by Agri-Fab and I do not know how I got along without it.Its is about 7 years old and has held up well.

When picking up grass clippings allow them to dry before starting.They will pickup easier and also will not weigh as much.Less weight in the hopper is a good thing.

·
What happened?
638 Posts
I just picked up a 30" Agri-fab to do my lawn. Now my lot is small (1/4 acre) and I am towing it with the tractor to your left. I does a nice job picking up the leaves and clippings. I have to run it in third gear at WOT to get the debris to the rear of the hopper. I plan on growing my lawn a little longer and sweeping up the clippings for my mulch pile. I'm very pleased with my purchase.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had a 42" Agri-Fab for 1 season. Didn't like it. I have alot of uneven ground. Your lawn has to be mostly flat for the brushes to make contact with the ground. I switched to a 3 bin bagger. Acts like a big vacuum that picks most everything up. Picks up more than that lawn sweeper I had ever did.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts