My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
CubCadetAC
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my lawn sweeper converted to the ball hitch. Best thing we did. It's a lot easier to hook up now. Got to try it out, and it works great!

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I have far too many implements that I would have to convert to ball so count me out. I don't have any problem to pull the hairpin and then the hitch pin. I put the hitch pin in upside down so that the hairpin is on top. It makes it very easy to find the hole that way.

My tractor does have a ball as well but it is mounted much higher up which is where my ball mount implements expect it to be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
AC, I would imagine most of your attachments connect to your three point hitch anyway so that is a nice little conversion with the sweeper. Did you convert your trailer also? I would hate to see you have to hand carry all that water next year.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
How well does the lawn sweeper pick up things like walnuts and small sticks and twigs?

I've been thinking about buying one but they are a bit pricey. I don't want to buy one to find out that it's no better than just a grass bagger.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
How well does the lawn sweeper pick up things like walnuts and small sticks and twigs?

I've been thinking about buying one but they are a bit pricey. I don't want to buy one to find out that it's no better than just a grass bagger.
I tried one a few years back, we have Black Walnut trees, and oaks. It worked fairly well IF the grass was very short. If not the brush just jammed up with grass and nuts, got about 1/3 of 'em!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

I tried one a few years back, we have Black Walnut trees, and oaks. It worked fairly well IF the grass was very short. If not the brush just jammed up with grass and nuts, got about 1/3 of 'em!
That's what I have, a black walnut. Actually it belongs to the people next door but it drops all the walnuts in my yard. I hate picking them up but I also don't like hitting them with the lawn mower. Rolling your ankle on them isn't very fun either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are products on the market specifically for picking up things like walnuts. I have black walnuts in my yard but never tried my lawn sweeper on them.

Just got a bagger for my cub cadet this fall and have been much happier with it than the sweeper. The sweeper is easier to empty but the bagger picks up ALL my leaves when they are dry. The sweeper would always leave a noticeable amount on the yard no matter how I adjusted it.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I've been using my bagger to get leaves since I bought my Cub 16 years ago. I use my backpack blower to blow the leaves around the edges toward the middle of the yard then suck them up with the tractor. Makes easy work of fall leaves.

The thing that the bagger doesn't get is the twigs and acorns and walnuts, etc. Those are a pain to pick up. And a walnut makes a **** of a projectile when you hit it with a lawn tractor!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Sweepers are good for light objects like leaves, grass and such. They do not well with hard small objects like nuts and small branches and twigs.

I have 10 pecan trees along with a few pines scattered about and the pecan trees drop branches & twigs year round while the pecans and pine cones drop only in the fall. The sweeper usually doesn't get any of those. It does work great to get the pine straw, though.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Sweepers are good for very flat yards. They cannot reach into dips and swales and they can hang up on humps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts