My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if any has had any experience putting roles on there deck to get the cool looking patterns in there lawn....

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I'm guessing you want to stripe, not strip the lawn. Putting a stiff brush on the back of the tractor works for that. Some hang chains.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Not sure which exact model tractor you have but from some of the pics I've seen of Case/Ingy decks, there does not appear to be enough clearance to put rollers behind the deck without hitting the rear tires. Have you checked for clearance issues? Post pics of the space between the deck and the rear tires with the deck in both the up and down position.

Striping is just about bending the grass in one direction so that it has a nap and that can be done with a broom or by dragging something behind the tractor. I've seen after-market stripers that are just a giant rubber squeegee.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Life is short....
There are more important things to do than mowing a pattern in your lawn.
Play ball on the lawn with your children, take your wife to a movie, mow the lawn for an elderly neighbor, make a meal for a sick friend.....
If anyone but you cares about the pattern on your lawn you must own a baseball field.

Food for thought......

·
Registered
670 Posts
Life is short....
There are more important things to do than mowing a pattern in your lawn.
Play ball on the lawn with your children, take your wife to a movie, mow the lawn for an elderly neighbor, make a meal for a sick friend.....
If anyone but you cares about the pattern on your lawn you must own a baseball field.

Food for thought......
That's pretty vague advice that can be given about any interest or activity a person has.

It's good advice though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Kind of figured I would get that response......but I'm not looking at getting my yard to look like a baseball field or looking at spending anymore time then already do cutting, just looking at getting the really defined lines when cutting your lawn. I live in a neighborhood with a bunch of rich people and their **** $8,000.00 zero turn mowers with the built on rolls on their decks. Just want to show those folks my old 444 can do that too! Think I will try the brush idea out and if anyone cares, (which doesn't seem likely) I will post pics of the install.

·
Super Moderator
35,862 Posts
Since they attach to the back of the tractor or mower it does not take any more time to stripe the lawn that when you mow it!

·
Small Engine Tech
1,481 Posts
either a rubber strip or brush mounted to the rear of the mower deck will work. To properly adjust it, the bottom of the rubber/brush should be 1/2 inch above the ground when measured on a concrete or solid surface. The rollers seldom ride the actual ground other than on Simplicities that use the roller for actual deck support. Most of the commercial mowers we sell/service have a rubber strip or a roller that is bolted to either the back of the deck or the back of the machine, its adjustable to different heights to match cutting heights. You should be able to get a strip of rubber at any farm/fleet store, just mount it to the back of the mower deck so it drags the top of the grass and is wide enough to cover the width of the tractor from tire to tire. Mike

·
Registered
670 Posts
For his 4th post it was kind of a downer. Who is he to say what you can do with your time? I've got a few 100 hours or so in my tractor and could care less how someone else thinks I spend my time.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
It's an absured notion that only rich people care about how their yard looks. Kinda reiforces the stereotype that poor folk have a yard full of weeds and junk.

Don't need a million bucks for something to look like a million bucks.

If you want stripes, make stripes. My yard is just too **** hard to make good stripes on, what with the irregular shapes and obstacles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm sorry, I didn't know you needed to show the "rich people" with their " $8000,00 mowers" that your 444 can stripe your lawn. I'm sure those "rich people" will be impressed with your efforts to emulate them.

I mow my lawns with a Toro 72" mower that would cost over $20,000 to replace.
I also have 2, 448 Ingersolls and 2, 190 Case mowers.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I wouldn't call you anything for using that equipment.

4 out of your first 5 posts might make you something else though.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Over the years, I've mowed stripes with a 16/46 Sabre, a Honda RT5000 and bought a Simplicity Prestige 23/54 so that I can stripe with ease.

You simply have to play around with the deck and adjust it so that the front of the deck is slightly higher that the rear. I know this adjustment breaks with tradition but it works. If you think about the physics of the cutting blades, they also cut the grass blades twice. The first cut slightly higher that the second cut. The rear lip of the deck bends the grass blades and generates the stripe effect.

It helps if you mow at a higher setting leaving a longer cut blade of grass.

Look through the Honda forum and you can find a picture of my RT5000 stripes.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=32251

·
Registered
690 Posts
i'm curious what replacement costs have to do with anything, what would it cost to replace my 224? i love that tractor, its a great machine, but i own it for around 300 bux with the parts i had to replace, and some maintenance. it would cost over 2 grand for sure, maybe 3, i do not even look at the prices of what the new ones are.

and if spending some free time, and probably very little money to make stripes in your yard floats your boat, i think thats great. some of the things i do for my hobbies cost way too much time and money, i wish something as simple as putting a piece of rubber on my mower would make me smile. i hardly consider it polishing the brass on the titanic.

and if i had an acre or two of nice looking grass, i'd maybe look into it, i didn't even know thats what other machines did to achieve that look.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I just alternate my mowing pattern week to week and I think my lawn looks presentable (or at least until this year's drought it did).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry about the post guys, I just wanted to ask a simple question. Didn't mean to make this negative.......I like to have a good looking lawn and if I can do it with a 29 year tractor awesome.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts