My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Keeper of the bees-Now deceased
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When you finish mowing how tall is your grass?

When I moved in this place it was still winter but spring did come. With spring also came the weed crop the lawn one morning looked like a yellow blanket had been spread on it., About a week latter it looked like it had snowed during the night as the dandies had went to seed. I had never came across this in all my life growning up on a farm too.
Went to the libary and got every thing I could find on lawn mowing and getting rid of those BLANKITY BLANKITY weeds.
Best advice I got out of the reading was to mow tall to block the sun from the weeds. Took a few years mowing the grass to 3 inches but today I hardly have a weed growing in the yard with out useing those chemicals to get rid of them. People stop and ask how come my grass 400 feet from the house along the road is so green at the end of July and into August. It is because I leave it tall during the dry times I think.

When I mow I blow the clippings into the area I am going to make the next round on. When I am finished I rarely have any clippings you can see.

3.25 setting.

·
Registered
214 Posts
This should give you an idea of length, this was right after I finished mowing:

I set the deck at about 3.5" or so and like you, few weeds and it's deep emerald green.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,563 Posts
I have Bermuda so I mow it a little over an inch high, would go lower but my deck won't! Of course I still have tons of weeds, but with 4 acres of lawn and 2 more of pasture to mow I ain't worried about it.

Sent from the MTF Free App
I have 4 acres...If I did not have weeds, it would not be green!!:hide:

I lowered my clippings by using Gator Blades,,:fing32:

·
Keeper of the bees-Now deceased
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's pasture why are ya mowing it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts