My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this sounds kinda cazy, but what type of shoes do you folks wear when mowing the grass. The reason I ask is I have been wearing New Balance 620/622 white leather walkers and if they get wet they look and smell nasty pretty quick. I have to do something else as I ruin a pair in just a few mows. So what is working for you, and are there any commercial mowers out there. There has got to be a hot setup that someone has found.

·
collector of the old
380 Posts
I wear boots that way they protect your feet from those oh-**** moments and if they get grass stained or dirty who cares...there work boots and thats what they are made for

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
so what, you ruin a pair simply keep that pair with the mower. when you need to cut, change shoes and wear the old ones. done that since i was about 6 years old when i first started cutting grass with a walk behind. leave the good shoes in the house.

i do agree with Kenny though, i prefer work boots when the temps allow for them. my steel toed Justins are my favorite footwear.

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
I just wear my old tennis shoes, oddly they're by NB also. Yeah they smell but I just wear them for mowing.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I wear a pair of my old Adidas tennis shoes, but at work have to wear my Timberland Pros, with the steel toe....

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've found that as long as you wear clean socks "every time" there should not be much smell. Of course I learned this by throwing on my mowing shoes on a few hot days with no socks and the smell got pretty bad.

To get rid of the odor rinse them out with a little water and laundry detergent and put lots of arm and hammer in them. The next couple of times you wear them you will feel the wet powder between your toes (from your feet sweating) but I guarantee no smelly shoe.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,766 Posts
I use my work shoes. Steel toed running shoe style from Walmart. Best work shoes I have found, light, breath well and safe.

·
4,275 Posts
Absolutely should keep a pair just for mowing...
and I intend to do that at some time in the future. :hide:

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
323, oh boy those Stihl shoes would be the cat's meow, unfortunaly I would need a co-signer to buy a pair. My tennis shoes are so nasty after one or two mowings even I can't beleive it.

LLigetfa, close call, alright. would of went right through my tennis shoes, would of had to call me "stub" after that one.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,766 Posts

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
Two years strong now....strictly for mowing only......NB must be a Kansas thing??:bannana:

Theres something slightly corny about this thread......but i like it:sidelaugh I don't recall ever shooting pics of my shoes before this......

·
Registered
972 Posts
I usually wear flip flops when mowing the yard...
I was gonna say the same thing...gonna get some heat though I bet. But if you follow the warning decals you'll be fine. I usually wear flip flops or Merrels. I've got an old worn out pair of leather ish beachy flip flops I've used for a couple years now especially for outside work. I'll regret it someday maybe but they do the trick.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
I just wear my old pair of Converse All-Star, Chuck Taylors. They are canvas and rubber so they don't hold much stink, if any, and you can look retro while you mow the lawn too :ROF

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I just wear my old pair of Converse All-Star, Chuck Taylors. They are canvas and rubber so they don't hold much stink, if any, and you can look retro while you mow the lawn too :ROF
Chuck Taylors! I wore Chuck Taylors in the 70's. Cool.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
i wear whatever i have on my feet. I guess my yard isn't so big it warrants its own shoes?

When I used the old 3in1, the deck clogged easily and the rear wheels and my shoes got clogged with clippings. So far, with the lawnboys, there are no clippings in my path.

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
I was gonna say the same thing...gonna get some heat though I bet. But if you follow the warning decals you'll be fine. I usually wear flip flops or Merrels. I've got an old worn out pair of leather ish beachy flip flops I've used for a couple years now especially for outside work. I'll regret it someday maybe but they do the trick.
I've never come even remotely close to even getting my feet anywhere near the deck, let alone UNDER it. Now if I had to mow uneven ground or hills, then yeah I'd put shoes on. But my yard is flat and with a self propelled mower all you're doing is walking around. lol

1 - 20 of 39 Posts