My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the worst lawnmower/engine of all time.

worst lawnmower: MTD with briggs Quantum
It is so heavy it is like pushing a tank.:Disgus:

·
Registered
412 Posts
80s vintage ******** 22" self propelled FWD , Never got more than 3 yrs out of them. Gave up in disgust and started pulling freebies out of dumpsters. If the engines turned , I would take them. Most worked better than the Sears

·
Super Moderator
31,816 Posts
ANY mower with a tec engine!

Im sure alot of people are going to agree with this one LOL
I am SOOOOO with you on that one!!!!! You know, I was a little POed. When we got my Wifes Scotts [a REAL PITA. WAYYYYY to heavy and hard to push.] the box showed a briggs, [I kinda like the quantoms myself]
but when I opened it it had the Tech overhead valve engine!!! YUCK!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I haven't had a Tec engine fail yet, nor have do I know anyone that has......luck is on our side. My dad has had 2 briggs motors fail at the connecting rods, both were OHV twins....

So far, preventative services have been good to us. Im impressed most LB's if taken care of can last 40 years or more, and that's being used as intended.....rings are cheap and support is decent.

I dont know what's failed on me, but I would say the Toro Suzi I have is going to be the priciest to maintain.....but not the worst by any means.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I think the FWD craftsman mowers are horrible, too. Heavy with poor leverage from the handlebars, long flimsy steel deck, transmission problems, whacky engage system, weak wheel adjusters. They (MTD) are still using that same basic setup today, I think. I avoid those completely...there are quite a few of them out there and thousands of owners who don't know that mowing the yard doesn't have to be so miserable.

I can't make a blanket statement on any one engine, so I won't.

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,678 Posts
I bought a Sears Craftsman mower in about 1978; I thought I was getting a Lawn-boy Commercial like the one that I used when I worked for the cemetary.

BOY was I disappointed.

Tecumseh engine, hard beast to get started, heavy and hard to push, handled like an aircraft carrierr. Bogged down if it hit a dandelion. Made it part of the deal when I sold the house.

Probably why the lawn was a foot and a half tall when we drove past the house a couple years after we sold it.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,766 Posts
Any push mower over 125 pounds. Will beat you to death. Snapper with Robin is a good example. Built like a tank and weighs like one too.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Any push mower over 125 pounds. Will beat you to death. Snapper with Robin is a good example. Built like a tank and weighs like one too.
John,

I agree completely. Great mower, but weighs a ton. I do not know how old this machine is, but it still works like it should. That motor is about the strongest 6.5 I have used besides the DF. Anyway if you have lots of long straight rows to cut it is a dream machine, but if you have to work around a lot of turns. You feel beat up after the task.

As far as worst motor. I have had the worst luck with Tec motors. Admitidly I have not used all motors out. One that scares me is the Honda knock off that was offered on some Wally world mowers.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
I have had very good luck with the TVXL 840 2 cycle. Used to use them for rental service- worked better that anything else, as long as no one straight-gassed it. The worst had to be the Tecumseh VLV engine.

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
I will have to disagree. The Tecumseh Eager 1's are nice..... (At least the 4.5 HP ones.)
I had two of those 4.5 HP Craftsmans recently. I ended up making one good one out of the two and giving it to my aunt to use. Not a horrible mower I guess, but there's really no difference between them and the other Junkumseh's. It'll work for what it's meant to for a while. When it craps out next year, I'll probably build a nice 70's Lawn Boy for her.

·
Banned
864 Posts

·
Lawn-Boys and VW's
1,839 Posts
I personally hate electric mowers. I have never had good luck with them!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts