My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, there is no such thing. Posting threads galore asking the value of lawn mowers is really just a waste of your time and you will surely be decieved by many opinions, and OPINIONS is just exactly what you get.

These machines dont have a collectors price guide. You need to do research on Ebay, Craigslist, local papers and then put it up for sale and adjust your price if necessary if it doesnt sell.

This site is for enthusiast interests and for sharing your projects and finds. We do have a for sale/wanted thread and Ebay/craigslist thread for sales or your items.

The worst place in the world to ask what something is worth is where a bunch of vultures are circling waiting for someone to ask so they can be lowballed into selling it for less so THEY can make a profit... :trink40::sorry1:

·
Super Moderator
16,678 Posts
Sorry, there is no such thing. Posting threads galore asking the value of lawn mowers is really just a waste of your time and you will surely be decieved by many opinions, and OPINIONS is just exactly what you get.

These machines dont have a collectors price guide. You need to do research on Ebay, Craigslist, local papers and then put it up for sale and adjust your price if necessary if it doesnt sell.

This site is for enthusiast interests and for sharing your projects and finds. We do have a for sale/wanted thread and Ebay/craigslist thread for sales or your items.

The worst place in the world to ask what something is worth is where a bunch of vultures are circling waiting for someone to ask so they can be lowballed into selling it for less so THEY can make a profit... :trink40::sorry1:
Sorry But there Is a Blue Book That covers outdoor Power equipment including walk behind Mowers, Lawn and Garden Tractors, Tillers, edger’s, Blowers many other Machines It's Called The Grounds Maintenance equipment Blue Book and it's Published Yearly and I have bought one every year since 2002 Though it's Been out a lot Longer Then That:thThumbsU

Attachments

·
4,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry But there Is a Blue Book That covers outdoor Power equipment including walk behind Mowers, Lawn and Garden Tractors, Tillers, edger’s, Blowers many other Machines It's Called The Grounds Maintenance equipment Blue Book and it's Published Yearly and I have bought one every year since 2002 Though it's Been out a lot Longer Then That:thThumbsU
Interesting. Where do we purchase it and how many antique mowers does it cover since that is what we mostly restore here? How many levels of condition will it value?

·
Registered
113 Posts

Ok, if I read you correct, you're trying to sell your Lawn-Boy for $250.00 but it's not running because you say, "it only needs a tuneup, it ran perfect last fall"?
I'll give you $20.00..:229:

·
Super Moderator
16,678 Posts
Interesting. Where do we purchase it and how many antique mowers does it cover since that is what we mostly restore here? How many levels of condition will it value?
You can get One at Price digest.com They also Have the Book Online But You have to Pay for a Membership for That Yearly or every two Years. The Books are about $55.00 or Higher They Cover from March 1 2013 till February 29 2014 They Usually Only Go Back 25 years from the Current Year Though the 2002 Model Year went Back 28 Years.

There are 5 conditions

Excellent add 10 to 15% to the Good-Average Value

Very Good add 5 to 10% to the Good-Average Value

Good-Average No adjustments

Fair Subtract 10 to 15% From the Good-Average Value

Rough Subtract 5 to 10% from the Good-Average Value

There actually 6 Because of V.D.C. Value Dependent On condition and the Give a $25.00 Maximum for that

It also Give You what the Machine was New at MSRP

With the Lawn & Garden tractors It will List some attachments and what they are worth along with there MSRP.

The Book cover's

Rear engine rider, Lawn and Garden tractors, Zero turns Both residential and commercial

Walk Behind Mowers Both residential and commercial

Compact and Utility Tractors

Golf Carts & Utility Vehicles

Snow throwers

Rotary Tillers

Chain Saws

Edgers & trimmers

Blowers & Chipper/Shredders

Equipment Serial Numbers

Manufacturer's Addresses
:thThumbsU

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
I don't want to be a thorn in the side, but that $55 book is also just an opinion. Price is going to vary greatly based on interest and what part if the country you're in. The markets in any given area are vastly different and the wealth of the community and the desire for what you're selling has a huge impact on asking price. If you live somewhere where nice machines are a dime a dozen and people are broke, you have to give stuff away. If you live in an area where good used equipment is hard to come by, you can ask a premium and you'll get it. I tell people they are insane for selling old Hondas for $75 and they tell me I'm on crack for asking $300 for them (sold an HR215 masters for $325 a week ago). Funny thing is that both of us will sell our mowers quickly, I just end up with more money in my pocket because I know how to market an item. Its not what you have, its how well you can sell it. There's a butt for every seat, just because myself or a book thinks your machine is worth $50 doesn't exactly make that accurate. If someone thinks its worth $250, the book and I are pretty much SOL aren't we?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Ford you are right on!

Here is the old adage. They are worth what you are willing to pay for it;)

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,083 Posts
Here is my .02 cents on this topic...we can pretty much divide buyers into 2 categories, they are either flippers, or collectors. The flippers need to get the machine for lowest possible amount in order to turn a profit, so there perception of value will be considerably less. The collector on the other hand is competing with all the other collectors in the U.S. to try and snag that elusive machine that he has been dreaming of for quite awhile, so really true value should be placed on what that machine will bring in the largest market of collectors and that would be ebay. In my opinion a book on this means nothing unless it has data that is derived from Ebay history. It's pretty easy to tell who the flippers are on the forum...all mowers are worth anywhere from 15 to 20 dollars to the flippers, no matter if it's an all original Quietflite. LOL The dang shrouds/fuel tanks on most of these machines will bring that much on ebay. I have nothing against people flipping mowers, the more mowers that are flipped the better, the supply remains high, demand is low, etc etc.,but...trying to determine the value on a forum like this is just not the way to go in my book, so yeah put those requests in another place, maybe a sticky, or better yet, let's refer everyone to ebay if they have a question as to the value of a Lawnboy mower.:trink39:

·
Registered
261 Posts
My MAJOR problem is I am a flipper and collector :banghead3 :fing32:
Same thing I do....I flip so I can afford to collect....I have quite a large collection of garden tractors, push mowers and vintage engines...I have been a self employed flipper for the last 5 years. Values depend a lot on location I can't make much on lawnboys when you can pick them up for 0 to $50 by the truckload just check minneapolis craigslist to see what I mean.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here is my .02 cents on this topic...:
I think you are shy $.01 :trink40:

I'm just getting into this rewarding hobby and I'm only looking for the best 'lawn-mower' for my needs. Having been through a boat-load of cookie-cutter, disposable 4 stroke's I've decided to get back to my roots (my Mom, rest her weary soul, made Lawn-Boys and 2 stroke outboard motors for OMC in PTBO ONT.)
Not having the immediate availability of the model I really want, I needed to get a couple 'under my belt' until the right one came along.
The need for a powerful, light-weight, quiet, over-engineered heirloom product was over-do in this household! :tee:

Zed

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,083 Posts
Same thing I do....I flip so I can afford to collect....I have quite a large collection of garden tractors, push mowers and vintage engines...I have been a self employed flipper for the last 5 years. Values depend a lot on location I can't make much on lawnboys when you can pick them up for 0 to $50 by the truckload just check minneapolis craigslist to see what I mean.
That's why I say you guys need to use ebay, many parts of the country, mine included, have zero classic Lawnboys and ebay is the only market we have. I don't think west Texas sold Lawnboys at all before the F series came along. If I were a betting man I would say the same goes for most of the western states also. I forget who it was, but some member was complaining that they were only getting 15 bucks on ebay for an old set of Lawnboy wheels. I'm thinking that 15 bucks is pretty good when you can sell at the volume that you guys in Minnesota and Pennsylvania are able to do, besides the entire mower is only costing him 15 bucks at the most. Heck all you have to do is sell the handle and wheels and you have doubled your profit.:trink39:

Sorry about getting off the subject here...

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,083 Posts
I think you are shy $.01 :trink40:

I'm just getting into this rewarding hobby and I'm only looking for the best 'lawn-mower' for my needs. Having been through a boat-load of cookie-cutter, disposable 4 stroke's I've decided to get back to my roots (my Mom, rest her weary soul, made Lawn-Boys and 2 stroke outboard motors for OMC in PTBO ONT.)
Not having the immediate availability of the model I really want, I needed to get a couple 'under my belt' until the right one came along.
The need for a powerful, light-weight, quiet, over-engineered heirloom product was over-do in this household! :tee:

Zed
Hey Zed, I think you are still a collector. I look at it the same way as you, I just want an outstanding machine to cut my lawn, not really looking to get a museum going, I just really appreciate the old days and how great the machines that your mother made, so I want to preserve that idea. Who knows maybe we can convince enough people to get back to that way of thinking...build quality, not the cheaper, not disposable. Hand it down to sons and daughters. Bring the jobs back to the U.S. and Canada.

·
Super Moderator
16,678 Posts
I don't want to be a thorn in the side, but that $55 book is also just an opinion. Price is going to vary greatly based on interest and what part if the country you're in. The markets in any given area are vastly different and the wealth of the community and the desire for what you're selling has a huge impact on asking price. If you live somewhere where nice machines are a dime a dozen and people are broke, you have to give stuff away. If you live in an area where good used equipment is hard to come by, you can ask a premium and you'll get it. I tell people they are insane for selling old Hondas for $75 and they tell me I'm on crack for asking $300 for them (sold an HR215 masters for $325 a week ago). Funny thing is that both of us will sell our mowers quickly, I just end up with more money in my pocket because I know how to market an item. Its not what you have, its how well you can sell it. There's a butt for every seat, just because myself or a book thinks your machine is worth $50 doesn't exactly make that accurate. If someone thinks its worth $250, the book and I are pretty much SOL aren't we?
Prior to evil Bay & CL The Blue Book was really the Bible for selling Your Machine. Today It's Not
Basically all the Blue Book is Used for Now is for Dealers when Taking Your Machine On trade. Because I have Never seen even Before eBay and CL for a dealer to turn around and sell the Machine they Took In On trade for Blue Book excellent condition There well above that. Basically eBay and Places Like CL Killed the Blue Book Because Before those I Got a Lot of Machines for what they were worth In Blue Book In Private sales and at dealerships.

Basically the Internet Killed the Blue Book. But they still have there Uses for Machines that are Under 5 years of age There Prices are Usually close to the Market ie Private sale and they are a Great reference Book as well :thThumbsU

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
Yea the book is a really great reference, has a lot of info and its cool to know the retail price of things that you didn't acquire new. You're totally right about CL and eBay ruining things, most sellers want top dollar and most buyers want it for free. Its all about trying to not rip off a buyer while not ripping yourself off in the process IMO. Extremely tough to place a value on anything used anymore, its worth whatever someone will pay for it. If you're patient, you can get top dollar, if you're in a rush, prepare to be haggled into the ground.

·
4,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ebay may have ruined the blue book, but if it werent for Ebay and CL I would still be wishing I had a classic 2 stroke Lawn Boy again in this small town environment where a 50 dollar mower is one you purchased last year from Sears for 300+ Want a Honda? Dream on dude. Lawn Boy? Maybe a Lawn Girl from HD. Yeah, Ebay opened opportunities too.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I Just moved from St. Louis to Kansas City about a year ago. The mower market is way different out here. I just looked at Craigslist in STL and there is a Sweet looking 20622 a few miles from my old house that has been at $50 for at least a month, and probably another 3 up for sale across the city. There is a 14sc for $140 . Here in KC, The only Suzuki Toros are the ones I'm selling (for Between $160 and $200), and I just paid $250 for a JX75. Most Deeres are Close to $400. I need to take a trailer and a load of Cash with me next time I visit.

Sent from the MTF Free App

1 - 18 of 18 Posts