My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After successfully repairing my classic Lawnboy mower, I decided to replace the front wheels, clean and grease the wheel adjustment mechanisms, replace the cable from the handle bar to the transmission, and buy a new blade. Which brings me to the subject of blades. I didn't think the blade I bought was sharp at all. I decided to sharpen it, and the blades on 2 of my tractors. When I sharpen a mower blade I use a flap disc on my 4 1/2 angle grinder, finishing with a file. When I say sharpen, I mean it will make you bleed sharp. My lawn is LAWN! I don't have any gravel to run over, no roots to hit, no other obstructions. How sharp do you sharpen your blades? Is that too sharp? Thanks BoWoogie

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
The extremely keen edge will be lost likely within 2 feet of mowing. I use a flap disc also and keep the original edge profile. When sharp, I use a very light touch perpendicular to the edge just slightly. Seems to cut better for longer, least for me.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I like them sharp. Not razor sharp but sharp.. Don't know if they dull quicker or not. Again like the PO mentioned I mow grass only.. I only mow 50 hrs a year and sharpen once in between. Even then they're not terrible.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,943 Posts
I agree with Flaken, no need to get them razor sharp, it will lose the edge very quickly. I usually sharpen mine once, or twice a season depending on the conditions.

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
Per operators manual for 60" mid-mount rotary mower for a 4X5 series,

Sharpen blades with grinder, hand file or electric blade sharpener.
Keep original bevel when you grind. Blade should have no more than 0.40 mm (1/64 in.) cutting edge.

I hand file my blades, (it sucks) but it keeps the heat out and the temper in.

CCMoe

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,735 Posts
I only sharpen every other year here.

Reactions: 1652

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I only sharpen every other year here.
Length of time between sharpening is entirely dependent upon the conditions you are subjecting the blades to. For myself, I generally sharpen every month or around 3 or 4 mows and that is year round. Yes, I mow in the "winter", first mow this year was in January. The soil here is very sandy which basically sandblasts the underside of the deck & blades each time I mow. I never ever get wet clumps of grass sticking to the deck and I only mulch mow with no discharge. The wiregrass here is extremely tough to cut with dull blades, very noticeable when the blades require a touch up.

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
Length of time between sharpening is entirely dependent upon the conditions you are subjecting the blades to. For myself, I generally sharpen every month or around 3 or 4 mows and that is year round. Yes, I mow in the "winter", first mow this year was in January. The soil here is very sandy which basically sandblasts the underside of the deck & blades each time I mow. I never ever get wet clumps of grass sticking to the deck and I only mulch mow with no discharge. The wiregrass here is extremely tough to cut with dull blades, very noticeable when the blades require a touch up.
That keeps you busy, what mower do you have?

Would an extra set be an advantage and change them out and sharpen at your leisure time.

Do you pulled the deck or lift the machine to remove the blades?

CCMoe

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
That keeps you busy, what mower do you have?

Would an extra set be an advantage and change them out and sharpen at your leisure time.

Do you pulled the deck or lift the machine to remove the blades?

CCMoe
Busy? Not so much as I'm retired & single which means I have oodles of time and no money:).
I have a Honda Harmony push mower with Gator G3 blade for use in the garden and the occasional use elsewhere. The main mower is a John Deere L120 with a 48 inch deck that has 3 Gator G3 blades. Both mowers are set up to mulch only, no discharge and decks sealed tight. The yard is 1.25 acres. The fenced garden is 64 X 32 feet with 3 tilled areas of 4 X 50 feet. Some pictures of that are over on the 2020 Gardens thread here on MTF.-

The deck on the L120 gets pulled, blades sharpened and replaced, spindles greased and the deck placed back on. Liberal use of antisieze on all bolts. Takes roughly 30-45 minutes. The Honda gets flipped on it's side. Electric impact wrench removes and tightens all bolts. I don't see getting a second (or third) set of blades as each blade takes only a few minutes to do, so there really wouldn't be any time savings.

With my soil & cutting conditions, the Gator G3 blades last around 2 years before needing complete replacement on the L120. The Honda is used much less so haven't had to replace the blades yet. I replace the Gator blades when the teeth on the wing side are paper thin or gone. Did I say I have sandy soil?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts