My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is what you get when you take a 1970 3.5 HP B&S engine from a Huffy Push mower and mate it to a "V" series Steel Lawn Boy deck and add some spare parts. I got the engine off Craig's List from a man who's grandfather replaced all the gaskets and painted it, and then stored it in his basement for many years. To get the engine running all I had to do was replaced the carb diaphram and clean the carb out. The engine really does start on the first or second pull and runs great! I used a old style MTD blade adapter and MTD Mulching blade and added a butter cup handle for a vintage look. This is the only way the engine will mount using the stock holes in the deck, so since the muffler points right in your face i made deflector for the muffler to shot it out the side. At a later date I was thinking about painting the deck a gold or copper color for real vintage look. I want to keep the engine the way it is because all the time the man spent on it.

Forrest

·
Banned
864 Posts
Nice!!

I do this all the time but methinks that engine really fits that deck :)

now all it needs is a paint job (hows bout silver W/ a red mulch plug??)

:D capstan :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Capstan

Silver did cross my mind. The handle was in very bad shape so I did paint it with silver hamerite paint. Silver would really set of the rest of it Maybe some red steel wheels from Tractor Supply. I am really gaining an appreciation for these old Briggs engines.

Forrest

·
Banned
864 Posts
Thanks Capstan

Silver did cross my mind. The handle was in very bad shape so I did paint it with silver hamerite paint. Silver would really set of the rest of it Maybe some red steel wheels from Tractor Supply. I am really gaining an appreciation for these old Briggs engines.

Forrest
Those red steel wheels would really set it!

what about a red discharge plate??

:D capstan :D

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
It's too good for Huffy! Maybe Lawn & Stratton? Briggs Boy? Your post has given me an idea for an old LB magnesium deck I have.

·
Banned
864 Posts
It's too good for Huffy! Maybe Lawn & Stratton? Briggs Boy? Your post has given me an idea for an old LB magnesium deck I have.
ive always wanted to make a silver MAG deck briggs-boy....... post photos when you start the project

·
Registered
16 Posts
Man, I LOVE that mower and what youve done with it... GREAT JOB!

I know this thread is 6 years old, but it is exactly something I want to do with my stamped-steel 10247 LB deck, and a briggs 3.5 with vertical pull start and exposed flywheel screen.
Is the V series steel deck and the duraforce steel deck the exact same? engine bolt patterns, I mean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts